News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

These things are getting too complicated and confusing. Too much detailed data to be read and understood in too short a time.

MikeCL

Quote from: SignBridge on September 17, 2018, 08:25:29 PM
These things are getting too complicated and confusing. Too much detailed data to be read and understood in too short a time.
I agree the night stars thing was not the first Hong that came to mind about ez pass only for those times.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on September 16, 2018, 11:36:24 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 16, 2018, 10:39:09 PM
Also, is there a particular reason why you can't get to the Throgs Neck from the Cross Island Parkway coming eastbound?
I think it was built so that you'd take the Whitestone if you lived in that little area. Or use other local streets to the Throgs Neck. But what happens is that if the Whitestone is backed up for some reason, you can't divert easily to the Throgs Neck.

You mean when it is backed up - there is no "if for some reason" here. :) Backups approaching the Whitestone are a routine occurrence due to the lack of through lanes and substandard geometry at the interchange with the Cross Island.

But yeah, a lot of interchanges in NYC are missing movements that either are or would have been (if other planned freeways were built) redundant for non-local movements.

The Cross Island-Throggs Neck example is particularly egregious because usually a missing movement can be completed easily enough using local streets. From the Cross Island Southbound it is physically impossible to get to the Throggs Neck Bridge via any method short of getting on the Clearview southbound and U-turning at the next interchange.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: MikeCL on September 17, 2018, 01:24:39 PM
Can someone explain this sign to me? Does this mean ez pass is only for certain times at night or discount for night travel? If so not really much stands out for that..

Speaking of that I have no clue why my gps (Waze) wants me to take the PIP to the bridge unless not that I know of that I can bypass the toll I normally get off at Hudson terr. And just take River rd all the way to Weehawken.
Alternate issue: the Earth's shadow is much smaller than the moon, and you can see a star through something that is ostensibly a solid object.

storm2k

Can someone explain this sign to me? Does this mean ez pass is only for certain times at night or discount for night travel? If so not really much stands out for that..

Speaking of that I have no clue why my gps (Waze) wants me to take the PIP to the bridge unless not that I know of that I can bypass the toll I normally get off at Hudson terr. And just take River rd all the way to Weehawken.

This is a poorly designed sign by the PA. I've seen this many times when I used to travel on the PIP frequently. What happens is that the lower level of the GWB is EZ-Pass only during overnight hours and there are no cash lanes. It could be better written, or include a note that cash users need to make for the upper level instead. If the PA ever goes to ORT, that would become moot, but I seem them less eager to move to that than any other agency.

MikeCL

Quote from: storm2k on September 18, 2018, 10:22:45 AM

This is a poorly designed sign by the PA. I've seen this many times when I used to travel on the PIP frequently. What happens is that the lower level of the GWB is EZ-Pass only during overnight hours and there are no cash lanes. It could be better written, or include a note that cash users need to make for the upper level instead. If the PA ever goes to ORT, that would become moot, but I seem them less eager to move to that than any other agency.
I've been wanting to see where it leads I've looked on gsv but it jumps around so I can't tell why it would make me pay a toll does that make me exit from NJ only to go into NY then back to NJ again?

J N Winkler

Quote from: Alps on September 18, 2018, 12:10:56 AMAlternate issue: the Earth's shadow is much smaller than the moon, and you can see a star through something that is ostensibly a solid object.

Alternate to the alternate issue:  a moon-and-stars design (however executed) is not a FHWA-approved symbol.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

Quote from: MikeCL on September 19, 2018, 03:55:20 PM
I've been wanting to see where it leads I've looked on gsv but it jumps around so I can't tell why it would make me pay a toll does that make me exit from NJ only to go into NY then back to NJ again?
The sign pertains to a ramp that goes to the southbound PIP after its last exit, so by that point it feeds directly into the George Washington Bridge.  There is no access to any part of NJ from that ramp.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MikeCL

Quote from: vdeane on September 19, 2018, 08:44:36 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on September 19, 2018, 03:55:20 PM
The sign pertains to a ramp that goes to the southbound PIP after its last exit, so by that point it feeds directly into the George Washington Bridge.  There is no access to any part of NJ from that ramp.
Ah ok the view on gsv must of been north but looking backwards towards the street

Mergingtraffic

Haven't been down the FDR since April...any more button copy gone?  How's the HRD project near E 125th St?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

storm2k

From WABC/Channel 7: City officials insist BQE has to be rebuilt

QuoteWhat people don't see is crumbling cement and rusting steel at the base of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway that runs beneath the Promenade. City officials insist it all has to be rebuilt.

QuoteEngineers want to reconstruct a 1.5 mile stretch from Atlantic Avenue to the Manhattan Bridge. Demolishing the Promenade and replacing it with a temporary six-lane highway while the original BQE is rebuilt, below.

QuoteThe only alternative is to rebuild the BQE lane by lane, which would take two years longer, cost hundreds of millions more, and detour traffic through local streets.

Just wait until Brooklyn Heights NIMBY's get their hands on this...

Rothman

Grumbles about the BQE or "Triple Cantilever" are growing.  So far, I have only been aware of scoffs at the cost of doing so, but my perception is pressure is growing in the City agencies to get the thing programmed somehow.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

storm2k

Quote from: Rothman on September 25, 2018, 10:32:56 AM
Grumbles about the BQE or "Triple Cantilever" are growing.  So far, I have only been aware of scoffs at the cost of doing so, but my perception is pressure is growing in the City agencies to get the thing programmed somehow.

(personal opinion emphasized)

I remember checking out a presentation that NYC DOT did maybe a year or two ago where they basically warned that the condition of the triple cantilever is getting to a critical stage. Plus, crash rates are roughly 10 times the average through that section since it's so narrow. Something is going to have to give at some point soon.

ixnay

Quote from: storm2k on September 24, 2018, 10:39:10 PM
From WABC/Channel 7: City officials insist BQE has to be rebuilt

QuoteWhat people don't see is crumbling cement and rusting steel at the base of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway that runs beneath the Promenade. City officials insist it all has to be rebuilt.

QuoteEngineers want to reconstruct a 1.5 mile stretch from Atlantic Avenue to the Manhattan Bridge. Demolishing the Promenade and replacing it with a temporary six-lane highway while the original BQE is rebuilt, below.

QuoteThe only alternative is to rebuild the BQE lane by lane, which would take two years longer, cost hundreds of millions more, and detour traffic through local streets.

Just wait until Brooklyn Heights NIMBY's get their hands on this...

When I click on the link, I get

"This site can't be reached
city%20officials%20insist%20bqe%20has%20to%20be%20rebuilt's server IP address could not be found."

It was this way when I was dressing to leave for work, and I'm back home and I still gt that message.

OTOH I Googled and got this link

https://abc7ny.com/traffic/city-officials-insist-bqe-has-to-be-rebuilt/4307541/

which works.

ixnay

crispy93

Page 4 of this: https://9670f26306f0aa722eb1-bf8a0720b767c6949515361a19a9737f.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/uploads/document/document/90/BQE_2018-01-17_DRAFT_SCOPE_OF_WORK.pdf describes all the non-Interstate-standard design elements that they hope to mitigate. Seems like they would like to widen the lanes from 10 feet (yikes) to 12 and add acceleration lanes where possible. I know the entrances from Atlantic are Stop-controlled and on a curve.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: crispy93 on September 25, 2018, 07:01:31 PM
Page 4 of this: https://9670f26306f0aa722eb1-bf8a0720b767c6949515361a19a9737f.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/uploads/document/document/90/BQE_2018-01-17_DRAFT_SCOPE_OF_WORK.pdf describes all the non-Interstate-standard design elements that they hope to mitigate. Seems like they would like to widen the lanes from 10 feet (yikes) to 12 and add acceleration lanes where possible. I know the entrances from Atlantic are Stop-controlled and on a curve.

10 foot lanes are not uncommon on older arterials and are honestly not as big of a problem as some engineers often make them out to be. Passenger cars can handle even 8-foot lanes at high speed without too much problem. The lack of shoulders is a bigger issue imo.

SignBridge

Bet they end up doing it the hard way, even if it is more time consuming and expensive. The NIMBY's in Brooklyn Heights probably have the political clout to stop DOT's plan for the temporary highway.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: SignBridge on September 25, 2018, 08:39:38 PM
Bet they end up doing it the hard way, even if it is more time consuming and expensive. The NIMBY's in Brooklyn Heights probably have the political clout to stop DOT's plan for the temporary highway.
But how many of them drive to work? Have they ever experienced the daily crawl on the BQE? You can't say your against something when you're not even aware of the problem.

SignBridge

Well actually they can, and they probably will. Affluence talks.

Alps

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on September 25, 2018, 07:34:24 PM

10 foot lanes are not uncommon on older arterials and are honestly not as big of a problem as some engineers often make them out to be. Passenger cars can handle even 8-foot lanes at high speed without too much problem. The lack of shoulders is a bigger issue imo.
I am a traffic and highway engineer and I laugh at you. 10 foot lanes can work up to about 40 mph. 8 foot lanes, what you're saying is completely nonsensical. We shoot for 11 foot lanes on freeway work zones and 12 foot is the standard free-flow. 10.5' is about the narrowest you can be comfortable on a road that's all passenger cars. The BQE is not that.

storm2k

Maybe on a parkway with no commercial traffic? The BQE in this area is a critical conduit for commercial traffic heading to different parts of the city. It can be downright hairy driving in there with a ton of trucks mixed into that traffic. They absolutely need more space in there.

jeffandnicole

...Passenger cars can handle even 8-foot lanes at high speed without too much problem. The lack of shoulders is a bigger issue imo.

Uh, no they can't.  If we compare this to parking spots: Most parking regulations strive for 10 foot wide spots.  9 foot wide parking stalls are generally allowed but can be a little tight.  8 feet wide and you can barely open the door.  Now try driving along someone when they're barely 12 inches away from you.

I'd like to see an example of a road with 8 foot lanes.

J N Winkler

Unit lane width of 8 ft is essentially a sidewalk highway.  Historically, highways with 9 ft unit lane width required vehicles meeting from opposite directions to go onto the verge to pass each other safely.  10 ft unit lane width translates to a 30% capacity reduction.  Crash risk (expressed as reported crashes per unit vehicle distance travelled) is at a minimum for unit lane width between 11 ft and 12 ft, actually a bit closer to 11 ft than 12 ft.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

seicer

How wide are some of those lanes on the bridges around NYC? Didn't the Bayonne Bridge have 9' lanes or something?

AMLNet49

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 19, 2018, 04:48:56 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 18, 2018, 12:10:56 AMAlternate issue: the Earth's shadow is much smaller than the moon, and you can see a star through something that is ostensibly a solid object.

Alternate to the alternate issue:  a moon-and-stars design (however executed) is not a FHWA-approved symbol.

The FHWA has been overreaching and meddling too much in state signage affairs for the last decade anyway. The symbol may suck but at least it's a sign of state signage independence

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.