News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansastravelguy

http://www.modot.org/movingforward/documents/StatewideList.pdf

Missouri draft list for projects to be done with the sales tax increase

iPhone

Road Hog

Quote from: robbones on June 14, 2014, 09:33:44 PM
Does anybody know what section of 49 going to be constructed when Barling to Greenwood is complete?

IMO they should just work on the Crawford County section next to have a 540 detour and possibly relieve some traffic off of there.

I would be in favor of them starting work on parts bypassing the towns along the route – Waldron, Mena, DeQueen, etc. It would improve drive times and show that AHTD is somewhat serious about completing I-49 through the Ouachitas.

bugo

Quote from: Road Hog on June 14, 2014, 09:59:53 PM
Does anybody know what section of 49 going to be constructed when Barling to Greenwood is complete?

IMO they should just work on the Crawford County section next to have a 540 detour and possibly relieve some traffic off of there.

I would be in favor of them starting work on parts bypassing the towns along the route – Waldron, Mena, DeQueen, etc. It would improve drive times and show that AHTD is somewhat serious about completing I-49 through the Ouachitas.

The rumor is that the Mena bypass will be the next portion of I-49 to be built.

amroad17

This would mean that the "freeway" around Mena that Stephen Hunter mentioned in his book Point of Impact will actually come to fruition.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

US71

should be open sometime this Fall. AHTD is working on the approaches at the south end

MB886

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MSU John

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on June 14, 2014, 02:50:06 PM

Constructing the Bella Vista bypass is on the draft list

iPhone

Correct. Here's a link to the map of projects in SW Missouri:
http://www.modot.org/MovingForward/Regions/documents/Southwest.pdf

Arkansastravelguy

So if the sales tax is approved and MODOT start their section, will AHTD scrap the roundabout at 71 and start constructing the entire bypass to Interstate grade instead of continuing the super two?

iPhone

codyg1985

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on June 17, 2014, 12:45:16 PM
So if the sales tax is approved and MODOT start their section, will AHTD scrap the roundabout at 71 and start constructing the entire bypass to Interstate grade instead of continuing the super two?

iPhone

My understanding is that they will build the BVB as a super-2 regardless at first, but if Missouri passes the sales tax hike, then I could see where AHTD would consider building their portion of the BVB to connect with Missouri. I'm not sure if they would still do the roundabout, but I would think they would since the contract has already been let to do the work.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 17, 2014, 03:31:00 PM

iPhone

My understanding is that they will build the BVB as a super-2 regardless at first, but if Missouri passes the sales tax hike, then I could see where AHTD would consider building their portion of the BVB to connect with Missouri. I'm not sure if they would still do the roundabout, but I would think they would since the contract has already been let to do the work.
The highway department has been known to change the terms of the contract. the original contract for the i-540 rebuild called for replacing the Arkansas River Bridge, which was changed to repair only.

MB886

AHTD

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 17, 2014, 03:31:00 PM

iPhone

Close! We have already COMMITTED to completing this route to the state line and the money will be available to make it happen. But only as a super two. As for the modified connector, we'll consult with our engineers tomorrow and see how that scenario would play out. Money for the orginial SPUI will be available too, so when it's all said and done, we will have a super two with a SPUI all the way to the Missouri line.

Now all we have to do is come up with an additional $50 million to add the northbound lanes and we'll have an Interstate!
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

AHTD

In our contracts, we reserve the right to modify the scope. In this case - eliminate the modified connector. The phasing of this project is such that the connector is the last piece of the puzzle, so this buys time to see what happens in Missouri. If their tax passes, we'll likely bid the SPUI and the stretch to the state line separately.

Grzrd

Quote from: AHTD on January 14, 2014, 05:39:31 PM
Currently we are estimating 24 months for the U.S. Highway 70 (Broadway) bridge over the Arkansas River at Little Rock to be out of service while the old structure is demolished and the new one constructed. That is an estimate based on a fast-track schedule. A bridge over the Arkansas and Red Rivers on new location is not likely to be fast-tracked.
So how would this all play out if the money were available? While nothing is written in stone, it's reasonable to assume that as money does come available, we would start by constructing bypasses around several of the communities along the route — Mena, DeQueen, Waldron, etc. Then as more money becomes available, we would begin to link those bypasses. Eventually we would have a highway.

AHTD, this TV video indicates that the I-30 Arkansas River bridge will be next in line after the Broadway Bridge.  Since it is already funded by the half-cent sales tax, is it safe to assume that it will have no impact on potential progress (particularly design work and preliminary engineering) for the I-49 Arkansas River bridge?

AHTD

What the report did not clearly state is that replacement of the I-30 Arkansas River crossing is but a PORTION of a larger, I-30 corridor widening project between I-40 and I-530/I-440. Ballpark estimates are around $300 to $400 million and will be funded by the Connecting Arkansas Program (half-cent sales tax).

Not sure what is meant by "next in line," but we think the reporter was trying to illustrate that we must complete the U.S. 70 (Broadway) bridge before we can take on the I-30 corridor project. The U.S. 70 bridge is a STIP project.

Neither of these projects have an impact on an I-49 river crossing because we are just not far enough along with it.

bugo

Is the SPUI going to be at the 49/71/71B interchange between Bentonville and Bella Vista?

Are there any plans to renumber US 71B to ordinary US 71?

robbones

I have a feeling that the Alma-Barling section of I-49 will be the final piece of the puzzle if not next to last with the river bridge costing so much money.

codyg1985

Does anyone know what segment of I-49 in Arkansas will be constructed after the Bella Vista Bypass is finished?
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

Quote from: robbones on June 19, 2014, 12:27:56 PM
I have a feeling that the Alma-Barling section of I-49 will be the final piece of the puzzle if not next to last with the river bridge costing so much money.

This article reports on a dedication ceremony celebrating the redesignation of I-540 as I-49 and that the ceremony is being touted as the beginning of an "I-49 Build the Bridge" campaign:

It was announced Thursday that a dedication ceremony for Interstate 49, "the future for the next generation,"  will be held next week in Alma.
The ceremony will celebrate the U.S. Department of Transportation officially designating Interstate 540 from Alma north to the Missouri border as Interstate 49, according to a joint news release from the Fort Chaffee Redevelopment Authority and Alma Area Chamber of Commerce.
The dedication ceremony will take place at 11 a.m. Wednesday in the parking lot of Grace Church of Alma at 330 Rudy Road.
"That parking lot there has a great view of I-49,"  FCRA Executive Director Ivy Owen said Thursday. "What's so important about this is that it puts the onus now on the (Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department) to get the rest of this done. It's I-49 all the way to Bella Vista until you get to Alma. This section will be I-549, our 6.5 miles, until it connects to I-49."  ....
Expected at next week's ceremony is AHTD Commissioner Dick Trammel and a number of local leaders. Trammel, former state Rep. Ed Thicksten, Owen and I-49 International Coalition executive director Gard Wayt will speak. Following their remarks, AHTD workers will unveil a new I-49 sign on the Rudy Road Interstate 40 overpass. ....
Wednesday's ceremony is also touted as the launch of an "I-49 Build the Bridge"  campaign.
"Representatives of cities, counties, chambers of commerce and other public works entities across the western Arkansas region are banding together to show a concerted, cohesive push to secure funding for the 13-mile stretch of I-49 south of Alma that will connect at Chaffee Crossing, including a new bridge across the Arkansas River,"  the news release states.

codyg1985

QuoteThis section will be I-549, our 6.5 miles, until it connects to I-49."

I-549? Are they referring to the Chaffee Crossing portion? I assume this was a typo and they meant AR 549?
Cody Goodman

Avalanchez71

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 19, 2014, 02:42:03 PM
Does anyone know what segment of I-49 in Arkansas will be constructed after the Bella Vista Bypass is finished?

None I hope.  What a huge waste of money.

O Tamandua

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 20, 2014, 10:03:32 AM

Indeed.  It's only the shortest Interstate route from central Canada and the largest cities in 5-7 American states to the Gulf of Mexico (and someday Mexico City via Texas I-69).

robbones

I'm glad I'm taking vacation next week. Might have to attend the ceremony.

BLU STAR4.0

US71

Quote from: robbones on June 20, 2014, 10:57:04 AM
I'm glad I'm taking vacation next week. Might have to attend the ceremony.

BLU STAR4.0
Doubtful I will be there. Work has me in Missouri until at least Tuesday.

MB886

bugo

Maybe if you or a family member were killed on the deathtrap that is US 71 you would feel differently.

robbones

Quote from: bugo on June 20, 2014, 08:37:05 PM

Maybe if you or a family member were killed on the deathtrap that is US 71 you would feel differently.
Mountainburg was notorious for auto wrecks before 49 was built. There used to be a sign right before you went down the grade saying 7 people were killed in the past year or something along those lines. 49 is not only good economically, but its a safer route to get through Western Arkansas once its completed.

BLU STAR4.0

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 20, 2014, 09:14:13 AM
QuoteThis section will be I-549, our 6.5 miles, until it connects to I-49."
I-549? Are they referring to the Chaffee Crossing portion? I assume this was a typo and they meant AR 549?

This later article reports that it will be "Highway 549", which indicates that it will not receive an I-549 designation and will indeed be AR 549:

A 6½ -mile section of the highway through Chaffee Crossing is scheduled to open in October. It will initially be designated Highway 549.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.