AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Northern Tampa Bay Suburbs to NYC for 2015  (Read 7889 times)

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
Northern Tampa Bay Suburbs to NYC for 2015
« on: June 07, 2015, 09:38:47 AM »

I'm planning yet another drive to my home state, but this one is intended to include a detour into Charleston, South Carolina. Why am I taking this detour, you ask? Because the Amtrak station there has a Wikipedia commons gallery with only one image. So should I take US 17 on this part of the journey, or would I be better off going directly along I-26 and back?

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
Re: Northern Tampa Bay Suburbs to NYC for 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »

US 17 is 4 lanes now from Yemassee over to Charleston, with a 60 MPH speed limit along some of it.  Going directly to 26 and back is only if you have a fear of non-Interstates and plenty of extra time to waste.

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 12:44:58 PM »

There is a lengthy two-lane stretch beyond the split with U.S. 21 signed with just a 50 MPH speed limit. That limited was lowered back in 2007 and watching your speed through there is advisable.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »

Last Christmas on our way south I used US-17 from Wilmington all the way down to where it rejoins I-95 with the exception of a segment along the Grand Strand where I opted for SC-31. I agree with froggie, the segment from I-95 to Charleston is a very good road now and there's no reason to avoid it, although I would advise driving with caution if you go through at night because it's extremely rural and extremely dark, the sort of road on which I worry about deer appearing out of nowhere.

We went through there perhaps two years earlier when we were coming down I-26 and a huge wreck on I-95 caused me to continue on I-26 to Charleston and then loop back on Route 17. At the time, it was still two lanes and under construction. The relatively fast completion of the project coupled with the road's transformation was quite impressive.

In case you are unaware of it, the town of Ridgeland located along I-95 south of where 17 bears off towards the coast is a notorious speedtrap. Don't exceed the speed limit within Ridgeland's town limits. On one trip north, we saw a cop standing on an overpass with a radar gun and a radio, and shortly afterwards there were six town cruisers parked along the shoulders ready to pull over anyone and everyone. I tend to try to hold 68 mph through there just as a hedge against speedometer error.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:43:39 AM »

Quote from: Alex
There is a lengthy two-lane stretch beyond the split with U.S. 21 signed with just a 50 MPH speed limit. That limited was lowered back in 2007 and watching your speed through there is advisable.

Not anymore.  I was just on it a year ago...it is now fully 4-laned between I-95/Yemassee and Charleston, with much of it posted at 60 MPH.

1995hoo

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 12:23:24 PM »

The road was in outstanding condition as of this past Christmas, too (well, the Saturday before Christmas). One of the best road surfaces I've encountered in South Carolina.

D-Dey65

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 01:51:16 PM »

In case you are unaware of it, the town of Ridgeland located along I-95 south of where 17 bears off towards the coast is a notorious speedtrap. Don't exceed the speed limit within Ridgeland's town limits. On one trip north, we saw a cop standing on an overpass with a radar gun and a radio, and shortly afterwards there were six town cruisers parked along the shoulders ready to pull over anyone and everyone. I tend to try to hold 68 mph through there just as a hedge against speedometer error.
Oh, I'm certainly not unaware of that. After I read about the speedtraps in Ridgeland, and Jasper County in general a few years back, I once spotted one of them heading south around Exit 22 and almost drove off the road.

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 07:17:45 PM
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »

Leaving Charleston, continue north on US 17.  Then take SC/NC 41 for an interesting drive.  Rejoin the I-95 at Lumberton.
C-o-H

1995hoo

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »

Oh, I'm certainly not unaware of that. After I read about the speedtraps in Ridgeland, and Jasper County in general a few years back, I once spotted one of them heading south around Exit 22 and almost drove off the road.

Good, glad you know about it. That's the key thing!

I94RoadRunner

• Last Login: February 07, 2024, 07:43:18 PM
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 11:33:39 PM »

Quote from: Alex

Not anymore.  I was just on it a year ago...it is now fully 4-laned between I-95/Yemassee and Charleston, with much of it posted at 60 MPH.

Yes US 17 has been four laned completely now. I drove it on the way back from Florida in March 2015 as a shortcut from Georgia to Charleston to clinch I-26 and the I-26 family. There is still a 50 mph zone north of where US 21 and 17 duplex. It first drops to 45 mph approaching the US 17/21 interchange and then to 50 until US 17 gains the grass median again at Jenkins Road for a total of about 3 or 4 miles.
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

I94RoadRunner

• Last Login: February 07, 2024, 07:43:18 PM
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 11:42:05 PM »

Last Christmas on our way south I used US-17 from Wilmington all the way down to where it rejoins I-95 with the exception of a segment along the Grand Strand where I opted for SC-31. I agree with froggie, the segment from I-95 to Charleston is a very good road now and there's no reason to avoid it, although I would advise driving with caution if you go through at night because it's extremely rural and extremely dark, the sort of road on which I worry about deer appearing out of nowhere.

It was evening when I drove northbound between I-95 and I-526 and I will confirm that there were several deer sightings along the road. Thankfully nothing decided to cross in front of me .....

We went through there perhaps two years earlier when we were coming down I-26 and a huge wreck on I-95 caused me to continue on I-26 to Charleston and then loop back on Route 17. At the time, it was still two lanes and under construction. The relatively fast completion of the project coupled with the road's transformation was quite impressive.

Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 12:12:37 PM »

I have not been south of Myrtle Beach (which makes sense, I was only 1 when I went to Myrtle Beach), but simply follow I-95 to I-26, then I-26 to US 17 north for the rest of South Carolina.
In North Carolina, if you'd like to detour away from the coast (US 17 does this at I-40) then take I-40 in Wilmington. If you'd like to bypass the rest of North Carolina, continue on I-40 to I-85 and take I-85 to its terminus in Petersburg, Virginia.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 02:38:56 PM »

Noel:  did you not read the earlier comments?  There's no need to take I-95 all the way to I-26 when cutting the corner via US 17 saves both time and distance.

1995hoo

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 03:02:18 PM »

Regarding the other part of Noel's comment:

Using US-17 from Charleston to Wilmington and then going up I-40 adds substantial time compared to going I-26 to I-95. The route I used last Christmas (mostly described above; I exited SB I-95 at I-795 so as to clinch the latter, then used US-117 to connect to I-40) added about two hours compared to a straight shot on I-95. Obviously if you're already in Charleston going north the difference would be less.

If you wanted to go from Charleston to New York while avoiding I-95, I think I'd suggest I-26 to I-77 to I-81, then across I-78. Another nice alternative once you reach Charlotte is I-85 to Greensboro, then US-29.

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »

I suggested the route because I liked US 17, I-40 and I-85 as a young kid. I was only 2 at the time.

1995hoo

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 03:46:26 PM »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I liked going that way and I liked a change from I-95 because I've driven I-95 so often. But it caused mega dissatisfaction from the passenger seat due to the added time and the annoying traffic lights near Murrells Inlet!

D-Dey65

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 01:08:05 AM »

Here's an update; I'm actually considering a second detour, but this time into Middletown, Delaware so I can catch a limited-release movie at a film festival. I just checked the map, and I think I can make it by 5 PM from Fayetteville, NC if there's not that much traffic.

D-Dey65

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 09:14:28 AM »

Hey, new question on this; Is there any flooding along the roads within Ocala National Forest? I tried to contact the U.S. Forest Service, an look up info on The Weather Channel's website, and I haven't found a thing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.