News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sherman Minton closed Indefinitely.........I-64 west end of Louisville.

Started by ShawnP, September 09, 2011, 06:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 09, 2024, 07:54:56 PM
as much as this bridge is closed or nearly closed for repairs, perhaps they should just build a new bridge...
After the 65 and the 265 bridges, I'm guessing a new 64 bridge would also be a toll bridge...

jnewkirk77

Quote from: ITB on March 09, 2024, 06:29:13 PM

Here's the official INDOT update on the bridge closure, released earlier today. As noted in the update, prior to a section deck pour on the upper deck, it was discovered that a lateral beam (or beams) was out of alignment. I assume the inspections now underway are to determine why this issue occurred. This is fairly serious as a fixed steel beam just doesn't shift or deform on its own. They'll be looking at joints, other beams, all and everything. It may or may not be a simple fix.

The crews were removing temporary bracing, so I'm thinking they may have over-braced or under-braced something and it moved out of spec. I am starting to wonder if they'll ever get the damn thing done. Seems like it's turning into a real money pit.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 30, 2023, 10:50:29 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 30, 2023, 09:55:02 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on July 30, 2023, 02:46:14 PM
Quote from: ibthebigd on July 30, 2023, 12:47:46 PM
Closed again indefinitely

SM-G996U
From the Bridge project site, posted Friday 28 July:

https://shermanmintonrenewal.com/friday-evening-i-64-bridge-update/

That reminds me of what happened with the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi in Memphis.

How many times did Arkansas & Tennessee have to close the I-40 bridge in Memphis?
This is the 2nd time in 12 years Indiana & Kentucky have had to close the I-64 bridge.

I'm starting to think that you have a point here.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Moose

Its open.

Turns out it was a issue with the lateral floor beams under the top deck..

So it could have been worse.

https://shermanmintonrenewal.com/i-64-bridge-reopens-to-traffic/

jnewkirk77

WDRB-TV in Louisville reported that the beams were misaligned by the construction rigging. I sort of thought that might have been it in my previous post, but wasn't sure until the news report confirmed it.

https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/official-construction-gear-caused-concern-that-led-to-sherman-minton-bridge-shutdown/article_f033fb3c-e163-11ee-9207-3f0f9a871283.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.