News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 06, 2019, 05:04:36 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on November 06, 2019, 05:01:13 PM
So far, we got lots of teams who won a 1st league championship this year with the St. Louis Blues (NHL), Toronto Raptors (NBA) and Washington Nationals (MLB).  Will the lightning strike again for the upcoming SuperBowl?

Probably not lightning but possibly an arrowhead.
If the Texans weren't in the same conference as Tom Brady, I would say they have a chance.

ilpt4u

So far, we got lots of teams who won a 1st league championship this year with the St. Louis Blues (NHL), Toronto Raptors (NBA) and Washington Nationals (MLB).  Will the lightning strike again for the upcoming SuperBowl?

Who would be the Contenders?

Vikings? Texans? Bills? Panthers? Maybe Chargers?

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on November 06, 2019, 05:26:06 PM
If the Texans weren't in the same conference as Tom Brady, I would say they have a chance.
Quote from: ilpt4u on November 06, 2019, 09:10:21 PM

Uh, I think you guys missed the joke: Not lightning (Chargers), but possibly an arrowhead (Chiefs). Only problem is, the Chiefs won Super Bowl IV.

I would actually say the Texans are the most likely. The Vikings are the better team, but can never seem to pull off wins as underdogs, which doesn't bode well for the playoffs, especially in the more competitive NFC.

After that, in order of likelihood: Panthers, Chargers, Bills, Jaguars, Lions, Cardinals, Browns, Titans, Falcons, Bengals.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on November 06, 2019, 10:17:29 PM
Quote from: thspfc on November 06, 2019, 05:26:06 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on November 06, 2019, 09:10:21 PM

Uh, I think you guys missed the joke: Not lightning (Chargers), but possibly an arrowhead (Chiefs). Only problem is, the Chiefs won Super Bowl IV.

I would actually say the Texans are the most likely. The Vikings are the better team, but can never seem to pull off wins as underdogs, which doesn't bode well for the playoffs, especially in the more competitive NFC.

After that, in order of likelihood: Panthers, Chargers, Bills, Jaguars, Lions, Cardinals, Browns, Titans, Falcons, Bengals.
The Bengals might be able to pull it off if they get through Miami in week 16.

Buck87

6 of those should not be on this list because they have already won their first league title

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Buck87 on November 08, 2019, 09:18:15 AM

6 of those should not be on this list because they have already won their first league title

Some like the Lions and Browns have also won NFL Championships. 

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2019, 09:24:39 AM

As have the Cardinals.  Bills, Chargers, and Titans (as the Oilers) won AFL Championships.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 08, 2019, 09:55:27 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2019, 09:24:39 AM

As have the Cardinals.  Bills, Chargers, and Titans (as the Oilers) won AFL Championships.

If memory serves correct the Cardinals have the longest championship drought dating back to 1947?   Shame so much of the pre-Super Bowl era either gets forgotten or dismissed. 

webny99

They have not, however, won a Super Bowl, which is what we're talking about here.

I know the Bills appeared in 4 consecutive Super Bowls, but they were all losses, which is one of the most absurd things in sports history especially considering they haven't made it to the Super Bowl before or since.

This year's Pats could tie the Bills record for 4 consecutive Super Bowl appearances, which is another reason I'm particularly anti-Pats this season. I'm hoping for the Chiefs to take them out, but at the end of the day I don't really care who does it as long as someone does it!

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on November 08, 2019, 12:01:59 PM

They have not, however, won a Super Bowl, which is what we're talking about here.

I know the Bills appeared in 4 consecutive Super Bowls, but they were all losses, which is one of the most absurd things in sports history especially considering they haven't made it to the Super Bowl before or since.

This year's Pats could tie the Bills record for 4 consecutive Super Bowl appearances, which is another reason I'm particularly anti-Pats this season. I'm hoping for the Chiefs to take them out, but at the end of the day I don't really care who does it as long as someone does it!
Ravens are more likely to beat them than KC, but let's be real.

Nobody, nobody, wins in Foxborough in the playoffs.

nexus73

Had the Super Bowl started a year earlier, Buffalo would have played in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_American_Football_League_Championship_Game

Guess who they would have faced?  Yup, the guy who the trophy is now named after:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_NFL_Championship_Game

Looks like there will never be a path to get the title for poor Buffalo.  When reading about the teams these two teams beat in their respective league championships, they wound up in the same bad barrel.  San Diego went 0-2 in Super Bowls while Cleveland never made it that far.  Not until the franchise had relocated to Baltimore, which had known winning championship football, did the team get the title.  On top of that, Baltimore was the location for the team which won the CFL title:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Stallions

As they say in the realtor game, "Location, location, location"....LOL! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

webny99

Quote from: nexus73 on November 08, 2019, 06:00:23 PM
Looks like there will never be a path to get the title for poor Buffalo.

I'm not sure I follow... are those two statements supposed to be related to one another?  :hmmm:

(Of course, I don't necessarily believe the Bills will never win a Super Bowl, but that's another topic...)

nexus73

Quote from: webny99 on November 09, 2019, 08:55:05 PM

I'm not sure I follow... are those two statements supposed to be related to one another?  :hmmm:

(Of course, I don't necessarily believe the Bills will never win a Super Bowl, but that's another topic...)

Uh, sorry you cannot connect the dots.  Let me put it this way.  Some cities pile up winners and other cities pile up losers.  Got it?  Good.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Alps

Quote from: nexus73 on November 09, 2019, 09:15:00 PM

Uh, sorry you cannot connect the dots.  Let me put it this way.  Some cities pile up winners and other cities pile up losers.  Got it?  Good.

Rick
Yeah, after the Cubs won, I don't think that makes sense. Got it? Good.

MNHighwayMan

It has nothing to do with location and everything to do with coaching, management, and ownership.

For example: the Browns don't suck because they're in Cleveland. They suck because the Haslams seem unable to hire competent coaches and managers, who are thus unable to find competent players.

jakeroot

^^^^
I think there's something to be said about location. Miami does not play well in Foxborough during the late fall or winter when it's cold (and because they're not a good team), but New England historically struggles in Miami too. Because of the heat? Certainly possible.

jp the roadgeek

Cleveland never made it that far.  Not until the franchise had relocated to Baltimore, which had known winning championship football, did the team get the title.

Technically, for official sake, the Browns haven't made it since 1964.  All of the team records from pre-1995 remain in Cleveland.  The Ravens are officially deemed as an "expansion"  franchise, while the Browns were officially considered dormant for 3 years before being revived with the unofficial expansion franchise for the 99 season as part of the deal struck with Art Modell when he uprooted to Baltimore.  By the time the Ravens won the Super Bowl, most Cleveland players were gone.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

nexus73

Quote from: Alps on November 10, 2019, 12:01:15 AM

Rick
Yeah, after the Cubs won, I don't think that makes sense. Got it? Good.

Bulls.  Bears.   Blackhawks.  All champions at one point.  Got it?  GREEEEAAAATTTTT!!!!

Some of you folks have a hard time with dots :-(

Rick

hotdogPi

I ran correlations. Data from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_by_number_of_professional_sports_championships.

1 is a perfect correlation; 0 is no correlation; -1 is perfectly anticorrelated. For each comparison, cities with only one of the two relevant teams are ignored.

MLB and NBA: 0.202
NBA and NFL: 0.257
NFL and NHL: 0.553
NHL and MLS: -0.164
MLB and NFL: 0.452
NBA and NHL: 0.324
NFL and MLS: -0.161
MLB and NHL: 0.537
NBA and MLS: 0.132
MLB and MLS: -0.191

MLB, NFL, and NHL seem to be strongly correlated, while NBA is weakly correlated with the first three, and MLS, if any, is negative. Note that some of the correlation can be explained by larger cities having more opportunities for championships (multiple teams and/or teams for longer periods of time).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on November 10, 2019, 09:50:37 AM
I ran correlations. Data from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_by_number_of_professional_sports_championships.

1 is a perfect correlation; 0 is no correlation; -1 is perfectly anticorrelated. For each comparison, cities with only one of the two relevant teams are ignored.

MLB, NFL, and NHL seem to be strongly correlated, while NBA is weakly correlated with the first three, and MLS, if any, is negative. Note that some of the correlation can be explained by larger cities having more opportunities for championships (multiple teams and/or teams for longer periods of time).
In conclusion, there is little correlation between sports teams' amount of success compared to others in that city.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on November 10, 2019, 01:37:19 AM
^^^^
I think there's something to be said about location. Miami does not play well in Foxborough during the late fall or winter when it's cold (and because they're not a good team), but New England historically struggles in Miami too. Because of the heat? Certainly possible.

While true, that's not exactly relevant because we're talking about good or bad overall, not specific to a location, an opponent, or the weather conditions.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on November 10, 2019, 09:55:45 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 10, 2019, 01:37:19 AM
^^^^

While true, that's not exactly relevant because we're talking about good or bad overall, not specific to a location, an opponent, or the weather conditions.

I understood that after I posted my comment. But I liked what I said so I kept it up.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on November 10, 2019, 09:50:37 AM

My next step is to just call him a Boomer and walk away.

US 89

Buck87

No it is not. The term used in the post that started this was "League championship."

But anyway, If the word "Super Bowl" had never been invented and they just kept using the term "NFL Championship" from 1970 on we wouldn't even be having this discussion. It would be just like the other 3 leagues whose old time titles get to count just as much as modern ones regardless of how many expansions, mergers or playoff format changes have occurred over the years, all because the name of the championship round has remained the same.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.