AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: 80 M.P.H  (Read 15357 times)

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 06:34:12 AM
Re: 80 M.P.H
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 09:33:31 PM »

oh, and as far as Montana speed limits go.  In the old days, there was no posted limit, and the unofficial law was "let's try to keep it under 90, shall we?"

in 1973, to comply with CAFE regulations, they signed 55, and charged people $5 for speeding, when they bothered to pull them over ... usually, anything under 90 was tolerated, as long as you weren't actively running over small children and house pets.

Question I have for the Montana laws:  It was still only a $5 fine for speeding on the open road (outside of municipalities) and NO POINTS.  When I briefly lived there in 1992, the state government tried to DOUBLE the fine to $10.00 to cover processing fees, but the measure was defeated!!!

Did they ever get to raise the speeding fines on the open road?  If so, when and how much?

(Unfortunately, my one and only speeding ticket was awarded to me in Loma, MT -- population 5?? -- for going 52 in a 45 zone on 10/30/92.  And because it was in a municipality (!?!??) I got hit for $35 and 2 points.  Go Figure!!!)

Ohioans are worried, as the DOT is starting to put pressure on Ohio to institute some sort of annual vehicle inspection. Which, currently, Ohio does not have. They just do surprise roadside checks (setup like a DUI checkpoint, but to check out your car).

And those safety checkpoints go wayyy back to at least the early 70s.  If you passed, you'd get a sticker (color-coded by year, hole-punched by month) to place on the inside of the front passenger windshield.  The sticker would exempt you from any additional checkpoints for about the next 12 months.

Regarding the checkpoints:

a)  They always had to be done on quieter, more rural stretches of highways (usually limited to 2-lane roads or highway ramps.

b) They seemed to be fewer and farther between in the last  couple of decades -- they just don't have the manpower or as many quiet, rural locations to perform them anymore.

Truvelo

• Speed limits limit life

• Last Login: December 08, 2023, 03:39:16 PM
Re: 80 M.P.H
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »

As much as people moan about annual tests I believe they should be compulsory everywhere. It's quite unacceptable to have 30 year old wrecks which are ready to disintegrate and could cause a major accident. I usually find it's the same type of cars which are responsible for dangerous weaving and general ignorance of traffic laws. It's as though the owner doesn't care about the vehicle and will run it into the ground and buy another banger when it finally dies.
Speed limits limit life

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.