News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cool game I'm trying in streetview

Started by Roadgeekteen, January 26, 2019, 10:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

I call it the google street view game. I basically dropped pinman somewhere random in LA and I try to get home. You would close your eyes, drop pinman somewhere that you can drive home from, and take a virtual roadtrip back home. I just started but I think it could be fun.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 26, 2019, 10:33:52 PM
I call it the google street view game. I basically dropped pinman somewhere random in LA and I try to get home. You would close your eyes, drop pinman somewhere that you can drive home from, and take a virtual roadtrip back home. I just started but I think it could be fun.

That would take at least 10 hours. For me, driving on GSV is about the same speed as normal driving (as of 2—3 years ago), but some claim it's 3—4× as fast.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Alps

Yeah, I have to "drive" on GSV too much at work for it to be fun. It's a chore to get it on the right roadway of multiple parallel roads, and then in just the right spot to spy existing signs and views all the way down the corridor.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on January 26, 2019, 10:36:35 PM

That would take at least 10 hours. For me, driving on GSV is about the same speed as normal driving (as of 2—3 years ago), but some claim it's 3—4× as fast.
It's about as long as a normal video game.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

adventurernumber1

That sounds like a really cool game - but as 1 noted, the feasibility of doing it depends for each person and how fast they are able to travel through street-view. I am like 1 in that my personal ability to traverse street-view is about as fast as normal driving. However, I have a couple of other roadgeek friends (around my age, though I don't know if either of them have accounts on this board) who are able to use street-view at the speed of light. They often do entire trips using GMSV (as of a few years ago), and in incredible time. They can probably make it all the way across the country in just a few hours. I don't know how they do it, but I know I can't (  :D ). But if you can go through street-view that fast, then this could indeed be a really cool idea. I would also recommend trying it from different cities and areas (and could, of course, even be different specific parts of the Los Angeles Metro Area) to mix it up. Sometimes Google Maps does like to make it a chore to get the thing on the right road, and then sometimes it might accidentally take you off, but other than that and the other minor complications, this sounds pretty fun!  :nod:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 26, 2019, 11:50:04 PM

That sounds like a really cool game - but as 1 noted, the feasibility of doing it depends for each person and how fast they are able to travel through street-view. I am like 1 in that my personal ability to traverse street-view is about as fast as normal driving. However, I have several other roadgeek friends (around my age, though I don't know if either of them have accounts on this board) who are able to use street-view at the speed of light. They often do entire trips using GMSV (as of a few years ago), and in incredible time. They can probably make it all the way across the country in just a few hours. But if you can go through street-view that fast, then this could indeed be a really cool idea. I would also recommend trying it from different cities and areas (and could have course even be different specific parts of the Los Angeles Metro Area) to mix it up. Sometimes Google Maps does like to make it a chore to get the thing on the right road, and then sometimes it might accidentally take you off, but other than that and the other minor complications, this sounds pretty fun!  :nod:
I vary my speed, going fast in rural areas and slower in urban areas.

ce929wax

This sounds interesting, but how is speed determined in GSV?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ce929wax on January 27, 2019, 01:21:56 PM
This sounds interesting, but how is speed determined in GSV?
You just click forward and you go where you click.

CNGL-Leudimin

Good luck! I like to do this, especially with the routes of the major cycling tours (Giro, Tour, Vuelta; I plan to do all 3 this 2019). My own record is going from Madrid all the way to the French border in one shot, a distance of about 300 miles, Los Angeles to Boston is at least 10 times that.
Quote from: 1 on January 26, 2019, 10:36:35 PM

I've reached speeds of up to 250 mph doing this. That's going on a freeway, doing cycling stages I usually do no more than about 75 mph on average.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

vdeane

I was able to do my commute at FreewayJim speeds in street view.  I never realized I could go that fast, since I don't normally do stuff like that in street view, and on the old Google Maps street view moved at glacial speeds.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Henry

Sounds like fun! I've done virtual roadtrips from Chicago to L.A., and from L.A. to Seattle, basically reenacting the real-life ones I took in 1988 and 2000, respectively.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

This will take forever. I only got to Richfield, Utah.

SectorZ

RGT, check this out, https://geoguessr.com/

You may find it to be an interesting game.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SectorZ on February 03, 2019, 11:20:31 AM
RGT, check this out, https://geoguessr.com/

You may find it to be an interesting game.
I've tried it, it's okay.

CNGL-Leudimin

Okay, I'm going to jump in and try to link all Ronald McDonald Houses (Hice? :D) in the USA on Street View, once I finish locate them (So far I've located three: New York City, Salt Lake City and Minneapolis, I knew the last one thanks to the first disease-related fundraiser in my area a decade ago). But first I'll warm up by linking the four that exist in Spain, going from Barcelona to Valencia, then to Madrid and finally to Malaga before departing to the USA. I had long planned to do a virtual trip across the USA, but had missing the motivation (I once did Hamlin to Abol Bridge in Northern Maine, but never went beyond that).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.