News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Visit Any State "Orphans" Lately??

Started by thenetwork, May 27, 2013, 06:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

From past experience and looking at state maps, it looks like there are a few parts of a few states that are "orphaned" from their home state.

In other words, if you wish to get to a certain part of a state by land, you can only reach it if you go through another state.

For Example:

To reach the "Lost Peninsula"/Southeastern-most corner of Michigan, you have to drive into Toledo, Ohio to reach it:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Toledo,+OH&hl=en&ll=41.732956,-83.463221&spn=0.018319,0.052314&sll=37.920368,-89.865417&sspn=0.309836,0.837021&oq=toledo,+o&hnear=Toledo,+Lucas,+Ohio&t=m&z=15

To get from downtown Chester to the west side of Chester, IL., you must cross the Mississippi River and go through Missouri to reach it.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=37.904116,-89.78714&spn=0.309904,0.837021&t=m&z=11

It also looks like a little further down the river, there is a sliver or 2 of Missouri that is East of the Mississippi, and to reach by land, you must go through Illinois.

And, of course, there is the extreme Northwest corner of Arizona along I-15, which is probably the most famous orphan of all.

I have actually driven to the Lost Peninsula, as the locals call it in Toledo as well as I-15 in Arizona numerous times.  Are there any other "orphaned" parts of a state that you went to &/or know about?

kphoger

Quote from: thenetwork on May 27, 2013, 06:24:28 PM
To get from downtown Chester to the west side of Chester, IL., you must cross the Mississippi River and go through Missouri to reach it.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=37.904116,-89.78714&spn=0.309904,0.837021&t=m&z=11

You mean Kaskaskia?  Because the west side of Chester (the prison and the hospital) are decidedly reachable from Illinois.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Dade County Georgia, extreme NW corner of the state.

RoadWarrior56

There is a little piece of Iowa across the Missouri River only accessible from Omaha, NE.

dfilpus

Point Roberts, WA and the Northwest Angle of MN are orphans cut off by Canada.

Theodore Roosevelt Island in the Potomac is part of DC, but to actually get there by land, you have to go through VA. The I-66 bridge passes over the island, but does not have any exit onto the island.

RoadWarrior56

There is a small piece of extreme SW Kentucky cut off by a bend of the Mississippi River that is only accessible only from Tennessee.

andy

Several ox bows (nothing interesting, just corn fields) along the Wabash River near Evansville, Indiana traps Indiana land on the Illinois side.

Not really an orphan, but Ellis Park (horse race track) is on the Indiana side of the Ohio.  An interesting point to this is that Indiana pays (I think) part of the cost of the US41 bridges which do not even touch Indiana.

There are however other slivers of Kentucky along the length of the IN/KY border.

oscar

Hyder, Alaska is accessible by road only via Stewart BC.  It might be possible to hike there from other places in southeast Alaska, but it'd be a long and difficult hike at best.  I drove there in 1994, got "Hyderized", walked around town a few hours until my blood alcohol dropped below Canada's legal limit. 

In a way, all of southeast Alaska is orphaned from the rest of Alaska, since the roads between the two are all through Canada, and there are no through roads in the skinny strip of Alaska connecting the two.  But there is an auto ferry connection allowing drivers to bypass Canada, and connect to other ferries taking them to most other communities in southeast Alaska (but not Hyder).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

To answer the question, though:  no, I have never visited any of them.  I've been to Chester, IL, plenty of times, and have crossed into Missouri there plenty of times, but never to Kaskaskia.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Never been there, but there are two pieces of Delaware on the east side of the river reachable by land only if you go through New Jersey.

The "Kentucky Bend" is another (access only through Tennessee). I've never been to Kentucky at all.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

What about the Virgin River Gorge in AZ?  I believe that I-15 is not connected at all to the rest of AZ via its own state's road network, or if it is by dirt or gravel roads.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

There are some spots along WV/VA 102 west of Bluefield that can only be accessed by going through the other state.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tdindy88

It may be me, but it seems that there are two kinds of orphans emerging here, first, the orphan where it is a piece of land that is actually cut off from the rest of the state (such as the Kentucky Bend) and can only be accessed via roads from the surrounding states, and second, the orphan where the piece of land in question IS connected to the state proper itself (Virgin River Gorge, Dade County) but is still isolated enough where it still has to be accessed via roads from the surrounding states.

mukade

I can't think of any example comparable to the Kentucky bend where an area is not contiguous to the rest of the state. Every other one I am aware of is contiguous - even if by water only. The Kentucky bend has about 3.5 miles of Missouri between the two sections of Kentucky.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=36.513499,-89.45446&spn=0.179909,0.390358&t=h&z=12

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Eth

Quote from: Big John on May 27, 2013, 06:38:56 PM
Dade County Georgia, extreme NW corner of the state.

With access to the rest of the state via GA 136.

1995hoo

Haven't been there since 1982, but Campobello Island in New Brunswick is accessible by land only via a bridge from Lubec, Maine (the easternmost town in the 50 states). It can, however, be reached from the Canadian mainland via two ferries (from Letete to Deer Island and then from Deer Island to Campobello Island).

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on May 27, 2013, 06:46:16 PM
There is a little piece of Iowa across the Missouri River only accessible from Omaha, NE.

That's the city of Carter Lake. Interestingly, the route to Omaha's Eppley Airport from downtown takes one through that little piece of Iowa. There is also a piece of Nebraska that sits on the east side of the Missouri River at the DeSoto bend National Wildlife Refuge just South of US 30. There is also another such piece of Nebraska land called McKissick's Island on the east side of the Missouri River in the NW corner of Missouri.

Duke87

Drove I-15 through Arizona last summer.

I drive I-684 through Connecticut fairly often.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

on_wisconsin

The Northwest Angle in MN is only accessible by land through Ontario. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Angle
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

1995hoo

Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 27, 2013, 11:46:33 PM
The Northwest Angle in MN is only accessible by land through Ontario. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Angle

Manitoba, actually.

Also true of Elm Point, Minnesota.

texaskdog

How about the stretch of Wisconsin that you have to drive on Minnesota 23 to get to?

1995hoo

I see on a map it appears there is a very small area of northeastern Mississippi accessible by road only if you drive through Tennessee. It's just west of where Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama meet.

pianocello

https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.541461,-95.678902&spn=0.089359,0.209255&t=m&z=13 Here's part of the southwest corner of Nebraska that's west of the Missouri river, so it's only accessible from the state of Missouri. However, the Nishnabotna River makes it so the only way to get to that slice of Missouri is through Iowa. I've never been there, though.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: thenetwork on May 27, 2013, 06:24:28 PM
From past experience and looking at state maps, it looks like there are a few parts of a few states that are "orphaned" from their home state.

In other words, if you wish to get to a certain part of a state by land, you can only reach it if you go through another state.

This is called a "pene-exclave" (I find this term amusing), that is, a part of a territory physically connected to the rest of it but can only be accesed from another territory. For example, there is some village in Spain that only can be reached from Andorra. Or the Northwest Angle in MN (Unless you go by boat, you have to enter Canada to reach it)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.