News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Headlines About California Highways – May 2024

Started by cahwyguy, June 01, 2024, 06:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 16, 2024, 06:23:34 PMHe did mention getting removed from a city council meeting and going to a councilman's office.  Can't say that any of it sounded effective but it is definitely more than just talking about stuff on here.
That's a start. Civic engagement is how you bring about these changes. But some recent props being passed suggest people care a lot about bikes lanes and other forms of mass transit more than Panda might want to admit to. (Or they were misled, which I often see getting claimed by people when props they don't like get passed).

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: FredAkbar on June 16, 2024, 02:44:39 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 16, 2024, 02:12:19 PMWell, i'm not really sure what to say at this point. If there's anywhere else I feel I could live, it would be san francisco. But I want a row home there.

If you're annoyed by how LA treats roads, you sure as hell wouldn't like SF. I posted some gripes a while back and I'm sure it's only gotten worse since I moved away a year ago. And I didn't even mention the city's obsession with 4-way stops. There are whole neighborhoods comprised of a massive grid of 4-way stops. I get the safety benefit but having to stop at a stop sign (often with no other cars around) every block is annoying, bad for emissions, etc.
Oh yeah, San Francisco has some pretty annoying roads in terms of how they traffic control is. But for me, I love it for the natural beauty.

Quillz

In my neighborhood most people just ignore the stop signs. Probably the case in most places.

pderocco

Max Rockatansky

Amusingly I've found that more less works just fine on the narrow city streets whenever my wife and visit family in Mexico.

FredAkbar

Sounds like a great way to get a ticket (in SF, not Mexico). Cops love to hide at stop signs and snag people for rolling them. Happened to me once. Granted it was Vermont & 17th so a bit more of a major intersection than some tiny residential area.

Plutonic Panda

I don't think San Francisco police really care. How aggressive is their traffic unit?

pderocco

I always thought that all all-way stops should legally be treated like yields, since you're not dealing with 40mph cross traffic, just people who are watching the other entrances to the intersection to see if anyone else gets there first and has the right-of-way. You can do that at 5mph.

FredAkbar

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 18, 2024, 08:44:08 PMI don't think San Francisco police really care. How aggressive is their traffic unit?

To be fair, the ticket I got that I'm referring to was in 2016. So they may have shifted their priorities or budget since then.

citrus

Quote from: FredAkbar on June 19, 2024, 03:35:01 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 18, 2024, 08:44:08 PMI don't think San Francisco police really care. How aggressive is their traffic unit?

To be fair, the ticket I got that I'm referring to was in 2016. So they may have shifted their priorities or budget since then.

There was a news article this year that traffic citations had gone down 97% in SF in the past 8 years, which is truly shocking. It had been going down, and then the pandemic took citations basically to zero.
Now that that came out in the local news, there's been more (anecdotal) recently....

ixnay

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 02, 2024, 12:45:34 AMParts of 1 in Big Sur are open again.  A lot of the rest is planned to reopen around Paul's Slide later this year.

Per https://www.ksbw.com/article/pauls-slide-to-open-this-weekend-california/61179674 the Paul's Slide stretch will open this Sunday after almost a year and a half.

I rode the the whole SLO to Monterey stretch on the 1 (as a car passenger) on my 1981 AZ/CA vacation.  Very beautiful and surreal, and the road appeared well engineered.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.