News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Road named bridges... with no road

Started by Alps, December 08, 2011, 08:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

My next update will have the Park Avenue Bridge in NYC. It's a railroad bridge, never once used by automotive traffic, but it happens to be the rail line down the middle of Park Ave. What other bridges are named for roads but don't carry a road over it? Subcategory: bridges named for a road that no longer goes over the bridge.

NE2

There are a lot of subway tunnels in NYC that are named for the street on one end. Another bridge in New York: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livingston_Avenue_Bridge
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

xonhulu

There's a pedestrian bridge over I-5 in north Portland named the Failing St Bridge, as it lines up with that street on both sides of I-5.

vdeane

The Colvin St bridge over I-490 is a pedestrian bridge.  Granted, Colvin St was continuous before I-490 was built.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Hahaha, Failing. I was going for bridges a bit more notable than highway overpasses...

Scott5114

Quote from: xonhulu on December 08, 2011, 10:03:58 PM
There's a pedestrian bridge over I-5 in north Portland named the Failing St Bridge, as it lines up with that street on both sides of I-5.

It is failing at being a street...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SteveG1988

Do bridges named for things that no longer exist count?

For example in Philadelphia you have a major amtrak/septa bridge named: "Pennsylvania Railroad, Connecting Railway Bridge"  over the Schuylkill River

PRR has not existed since the early 70s.

Or Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, Bridge at West Falls which is named after a RR that changed it's name in 1924, and then closed in 1976 after it merged with conrail.

A alternate take on this would be a road named for what it used to connect to, for example NJ Route 324 is named "ferry St" due to it being the old route of 322 for the ferry.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Duke87

As a reverse of the original situation, there is a Bridge Street in Lower Manhattan which does not have a bridge.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: Duke87 on December 12, 2011, 10:45:07 PM
As a reverse of the original situation, there is a Bridge Street in Lower Manhattan which does not have a bridge.
Not anymore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_Street_(Manhattan)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Is not the pedestrian footbridge over the Harlem River in New York called the 104th Street Bridge?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Quote from: deanej on December 09, 2011, 11:50:18 AM
The Colvin St bridge over I-490 is a pedestrian bridge.  Granted, Colvin St was continuous before I-490 was built.

So is the Colby Street bridge, also over I-490. And it was never continuous, as that part of 490 was the Erie Canal originally.

Duke87

Quote from: roadman65 on January 08, 2012, 08:49:40 PM
Is not the pedestrian footbridge over the Harlem River in New York called the 104th Street Bridge?

I've always referred to it and heard it referred to as the "Ward's Island Footbridge".

That is, if people give it a name at all. I more frequently hear it referred to as "that pedestrian bridge" or something similar.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadman65

The Wards Island Bridge, also known as the 103rd Street Footbridge,

The first line of the Wickopedia article about the bridge I was off by one number (or block)

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

The 11th Street Bridge in Southeast DC does not actually carry 11th Street (although 11th Street may be extended over the new "local" bridge that's not yet open–I don't know whether they'll do that or give it some other name such as extending MLK Avenue). The bridge currently carries I-695.

Nor does the 14th Street Bridge in Southwest DC carry 14th Street; it carries I-395 and US-1.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

The Paseo Bridge in Kansas City carries I-35 (and maybe I-29)  over the Missouri River and it is named after a street to the south of it that exits off the freeway in a straight line with the bridge.  I do not think the I-35 carries this street name at all.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

The I-44 Arkansas River bridge is known as the "51st Street Bridge."  The current bridge never carried 51st Street, although the original bridge carried it.

pianocello

Cedar Street Bridge over the Illinois River in Peoria-E. Peoria, IL. The road is called MacArthur Hwy (formerly Cedar St) on the Peoria side, but it doesn't have a name on the E. Peoria side as far as I know.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.