News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bridges moved 2 or 3 times

Started by Mdcastle, February 20, 2012, 09:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mdcastle

The Zumbrota Covered Bridge in Minnesota has been moved three times. Originally it was on the river from 1869-1932, then it was moved to the county fairgrounds from 1932-1970. It was moved back near it's original location, but was no longer strucurally sound and there wasn't funding to fix it so it was left on blocks. Finally in 1997 it was moved to span the river adjacent to the original location. The present crosssing is actually steel beams, the wooden structure is not just decoration.

The Silverdale Bridge is a wrought iron truss bridge that was built in 1890 in Sauk Centre. In 1932 it was moved to a very remote area up north, and was the last single lane bridge on the trunk highway system. There was talke about moving it to the Gitch-Gami bicycle trail near Duluth, but instead it was moved to the Gateway bicycle trail near Stillwater in 2010.

bugo

Quote from: Mdcastle on February 20, 2012, 09:37:47 PM
The Silverdale Bridge is a wrought iron truss bridge that was built in 1890 in Sauk Centre. In 1932 it was moved to a very remote area up north, and was the last single lane bridge on the trunk highway system. There was talke about moving it to the Gitch-Gami bicycle trail near Duluth, but instead it was moved to the Gateway bicycle trail near Stillwater in 2010.

That is plain badass.

texaskdog

Where is it?  I used to ride the Gateway all the time.

Mdcastle

It's over Manning Ave. That used to be an at-grade crossing of a very busy exurban county road, they had to build up ramps on either side.

texaskdog

Sweet.  I liked that trail.  Of course I"m even more spoiled now being in Austin.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.