News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Planning: Baltimore MD road trip and back

Started by noelbotevera, August 03, 2015, 04:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

So, in September I'm planning with the four of my family members to head out to Baltimore. My (our) usual route is I-81 - I-70 - I-695 - I-95 - I-395 (depends if I want to head to the Inner Harbor or Downtown). Although, to mix things up, I've established some planned routings.

I-70 - MD 32 - I-97 - I-895/I-695 (depends)
I-70 - US 29 - MD 100 - MD 295 (depends if I want to go to West Baltimore)/ I-97 - I-895 (dinner route to Annapolis if I want)

Return route is simply retrace my steps of how we came in. However, some proposed routings come to mind.
I-83 - I-81
I-83 - PA 581 - I-81 (this route depends if traffic is really bad on I-83 between the Susquehanna River and I-81).

For where I want to do in Baltimore, this will be 1 whole day. No hotel staying needed.

-Ft. McHenry
-The Wire driving tour (filming spots around Baltimore)
-Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum
-If any chance, aborted I-170 and I-170 stub (bonus signs)
-If any chance, I-70 and I-83 stubs (where both interstates would end in the city)

What I've done so far:
-National Aquarium
-Ship Tours (boats parked in Baltimore Harbor - take a look around)
-Swan (duck, whatever you want to call it) Boating around Baltimore Harbor

Dinner: either in Annapolis or in Baltimore - if Baltimore, Lexington Market
if Annapolis - Severn Inn

Please suggest what dinner spots are great, where should I (we) go for good food, some other attractions, roadgeek delights, etc.
Bye!!  :sombrero:

EDIT: removed Orioles Game - due to Orioles being away on weekends of September

rawmustard

If you have dinner in Annapolis, Buddy's Crabs & Ribs was a good place when I was there six years ago. However, the downtown area is very busy on weekends, and with narrow streets and horse-drawn carriage tours, expect to be very patient getting around and finding parking. I've not had much experience with restaurants in downtown Baltimore near Camden Yards, but at least that area is very walkable.

Rothman

Quote from: rawmustard on August 04, 2015, 10:21:57 AM
If you have dinner in Annapolis, Buddy's Crabs & Ribs was a good place when I was there six years ago. However, the downtown area is very busy on weekends, and with narrow streets and horse-drawn carriage tours, expect to be very patient getting around and finding parking. I've not had much experience with restaurants in downtown Baltimore near Camden Yards, but at least that area is very walkable.

I liked Chick and Ruth's, if it's still essentially the diner/ice cream shop with the gigantic menu.  Not haute cuisine, but enjoyable.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Is the Orioles game day or evening? 

If during the day, you're probably not going to have time for anything else, unless you are able to fit in something in the morning (personally, Ft. McHenry would be your best bet, if you make it down there early enough).  Depending on timing, maybe you can stop at a location or two of the tour.

If the game is in the evening, you can probably do one or two of the other things, but it's going to be tight to fit in Ft. McHenry, the museum, the tour, and dinner within Baltimore all in one day before the game.  Forget about dinner in Annapolis - you won't have the time to make it there and back.

You can mix in the sign and stub finds as driving permits.  But as mentioned, Baltimore can be a busy city: Workers during the weekdays; visitors on the weekends.  Many people don't want to deal with excess driving if there's other things going on.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 04, 2015, 10:48:49 AM
Is the Orioles game day or evening? 

If during the day, you're probably not going to have time for anything else, unless you are able to fit in something in the morning (personally, Ft. McHenry would be your best bet, if you make it down there early enough).  Depending on timing, maybe you can stop at a location or two of the tour.

If the game is in the evening, you can probably do one or two of the other things, but it's going to be tight to fit in Ft. McHenry, the museum, the tour, and dinner within Baltimore all in one day before the game.  Forget about dinner in Annapolis - you won't have the time to make it there and back.

You can mix in the sign and stub finds as driving permits.  But as mentioned, Baltimore can be a busy city: Workers during the weekdays; visitors on the weekends.  Many people don't want to deal with excess driving if there's other things going on.
Just checked in, and the Orioles are away on the weekends as when we plan to go (September 19th). So, Orioles is out of the question.

I thought it would be possible to make it to Annapolis, as it is only 20 miles away. After Annapolis, I (my dad) would drive home after dinner, so I can cram it in, but I am sure there are some great eats in Baltimore.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.