News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSR_317

Quote from: Rothman on August 02, 2018, 10:36:20 PM
Have to agree with no rest area between Bloomington and Indianapolis.  Even when I lived in the area in the late 1970s, the drive between the two was not onerous.
Except during the Blizzard of 1978. I made it through from Bloomington to Indy on the Tuesday after the storm (which began the previous Wednesday evening), but was glad I didn't have to do it any earlier than that!

Rothman

Quote from: SSR_317 on August 10, 2018, 05:20:33 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 02, 2018, 10:36:20 PM
Have to agree with no rest area between Bloomington and Indianapolis.  Even when I lived in the area in the late 1970s, the drive between the two was not onerous.
Except during the Blizzard of 1978. I made it through from Bloomington to Indy on the Tuesday after the storm (which began the previous Wednesday evening), but was glad I didn't have to do it any earlier than that!
Heh.  I was in Bloomington for that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thefro

https://fox59.com/2018/08/10/indot-section-5-of-i-69-project-will-be-completed-near-mid-september/

Sounds like "substantial competition" is delayed until mid-September and we might not see the I-69 shields go up until October for Section 5.

QuoteBLOOMINGTON, Ind. — After four years of work, I-69 is expected to be finally extended nearly another 22 miles, bringing it closer to Indianapolis.

Last August, the Indiana Department of Transportation took over direct control of Section 5 of the project, a stretch that goes from south of Bloomington to south of Martinsville. While no deadline was set, INDOT officials said at that time they wanted to be finished with the work by the end of August 2018.

"The August 31 target date for substantial completion was an aggressive schedule," Andy Dietrick, the INDOT spokesperson for the Section 5 project, said. "Our goal was to get out as quickly as possible. That's still the goal. Do it safely and do it right, but get out of the way of the folks in Bloomington and that's still our goal. I think the first couple weeks of September folks are going to see things changing significantly and things will be a lot better."

Dietrick said weather has pushed back some of the work, which is expected to keep workers from finishing before the end of the month.

Substantial completion will mean the road and interchanges will be built, but crews will remain in the area to line the lanes and shoulders, put in signage, and do a final check with workers. Dietrick said crews would remain in the area likely through October to complete those tasks.

"Over the next couple months, you're going to see a lot fewer barrels and a lot fewer crews," Dietrick said. "It will be a continuous wind down until we get to the point that we shield this as I-69."

hoosierguy

There are two lanes open each way up to at least Sample Road so traffic is moving smoothly. Lanes are fully striped up to just north of Kinser Pike. The Third Street interchange has been paved and is awaiting lane striping. There are two lanes of thru traffic open eastbound on Third, not sure about westbound.

hoosierguy

Yep, the substantial completion deadline for Section 5 has been pushed back again, according to the Herald Times. On top of that, the state will be doing some repair work to the SR 45/46 interchange over the next 2-3 months.

The good news is that the Liberty Church Road interchange is open.

tdindy88

Found this article talking about this a little more: https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/i69-section-5-aug-31-project-delayed-weeks-154013/

What I liked seeing was that picture of the I-69 signage planned for the 3rd Street interchange. For the first time in the Bloomington area we are seeing Indianapolis as the northbound control city for I-69.

ITB

Yesterday I motored up to the Liberty Church Road interchange in Morgan County for a look see and to take some pictures. No doubt that Section 5 is nearing the finishing line. Paving is underway along two or three longish stretches of roadway. To be sure, there's still significant work that remains, but the end of Section 5 construction is rapidly approaching.

Here's a few pictures from the vicinity of Liberty Church Road interchange. Photos were taken Sunday, August 19, 2018, unless otherwise noted. To expand the photos, Right Click, etc., as per your browser.

Liberty Church Road interchange, Morgan County, Indiana

Looking north from the Liberty Church Road overpass toward State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) in Morgan County, Indiana. In the mid-background are the bridges over Jordan Creek. On the near right is the northbound entrance ramp from Liberty Church Road, while further right is the local access, or frontage, road and its respective bridge over Jordan Creek.

Another perspective looking north from the Liberty Church Road overpass.

Signage at the Liberty Church Road interchange; looking northwest. In the foreground is the southbound exit ramp to Liberty Church Road, while behind is the local access road.

Long range view looking north from near the Liberty Church Road overpass.

The Liberty Church Road overpass and signage, looking east; plus an official Indiana Department of Transportation Bench Mark.

Close-up of the Bench Mark on the Liberty Church Road overpass. To me, the numbers are a bit confusing, as the average elevation of Morgan County, Indiana, is significantly higher than 85 feet. Some of you, I imagine, know exactly how to decipher the Mark and its figures.

Looking south toward soon-to-be Interstate 69 from the Liberty Church Road overpass. The left lane and shoulder of the southbound roadway still needs a final layer of asphalt, the paving of which will likely happen this week.

Another perspective looking south, showing the placement of the Bench Mark. In the background right is the new western frontage road.

jnewkirk77

The numbers aren't the elevation - that looks to go in the blank rectangle that hasn't been etched/stamped/otherwise filled in yet. What you've got there is the actual benchmark number (they would write it as 53-S-0085).

What I find interesting is that I think it's in Morgan County, so the number should start with 55 and not 53. INDOT's been working to verify benchmarks, so this will probably get fixed when someone checks it.

ITB

A few more. Again, photos were taken Sunday, August 19, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Liberty Church Road work zone, Morgan County, Indiana

Long range view looking south toward SR 37 from near the Liberty Church Road overpass in Morgan County, Indiana.

Closer view of the roadway looking south from the Liberty Church Road overpass.

Another perspective looking south.

Another look north toward the mainline and the bridges over Jordan Creek. Section 5 ends just around the bend in the background.

The intersection of Liberty Church Road and the eastern local access, or frontage, road, which has been signed Old State Road 37; looking southwest.

Equipment lined up on a section of unopened frontage road just north off Liberty Church Road; looking east. The pavement in the foreground is the northbound entrance ramp to SR 37, now open to traffic.

More signage; looking east toward Liberty Church Road and the overpass that will carry it over I-69.

Using the telephoto lens, another view of the mainline roadway looking south from the Liberty Church Road overpass.

The Liberty Church Road overpass and signage; looking east.

The interchange's southbound ramps (foreground) and the western frontage road (background), now signed Legendary Drive.

A vehicle on the southbound exit ramp to Liberty Church Road; looking north.

That's all for now. I'll try to get out again this week to take a few more. Before we know it, the orange barrels will be coming off the roadway as this project begins to wrap up.

mgk920

That's about as close as one can build frontage roads to a freeway as one can.  Did InDOT give any consideration to doing a narrow median with a barrier on I-69 itself through there?

Mike

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on August 20, 2018, 01:50:06 AM
Photos were taken Sunday, August 20, 2018, unless otherwise noted.
August 20 is a Monday.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ITB

Bench Mark – Liberty Church Road overpass/interchange, Morgan County

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on August 20, 2018, 02:29:53 AM
The numbers aren't the elevation - that looks to go in the blank rectangle that hasn't been etched/stamped/otherwise filled in yet. What you've got there is the actual benchmark number (they would write it as 53-S-0085).

What I find interesting is that I think it's in Morgan County, so the number should start with 55 and not 53. INDOT's been working to verify benchmarks, so this will probably get fixed when someone checks it.

Interesting. So the 53 number on the Bench Mark indicates the county. But as you note, it isn't correct here as, in Indiana, 53 is the number for Monroe County, while 55 is for Morgan County. It seems this particular Bench Mark was destined for Monroe County but somehow ended up being placed on the Liberty Church Road overpass, which is, most certainly, in Morgan County.

As this kind of Mark is new to me, I'm wondering what the purpose is and how common they are?

Quote from: mgk920 on August 20, 2018, 10:19:30 AM
That's about as close as one can build frontage roads to a freeway as one can.  Did InDOT give any consideration to doing a narrow median with a barrier on I-69 itself through there?
As I have no insight into the planning or design of Section 5, I can only surmise that INDOT likely looked at various options for the frontage roads, including a narrow median for the mainline. Another option, I imagine, was to acquire more Right-of-Way for the frontage roads to ensure more separation, but that may have engendered more opposition from landowners. Ultimately, the design featuring adjacent mainline and frontage roads, in short sections, separated by a concrete barrier wall was chosen. Whether it will prove to be the best solution, only time will tell.

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 20, 2018, 04:41:35 PM
Quote from: ITB on August 20, 2018, 01:50:06 AM
Photos were taken Sunday, August 20, 2018, unless otherwise noted.
August 20 is a Monday.
Ah, yes. It's been corrected.

jnewkirk77

They're VERY common. As in, everywhere. INDOT has been working to update their records on them, so their locator isn't 100% accurate. But it is pretty cool.

https://entapps.indot.in.gov/dotmaps/Benchmarks/DefaultMap.htm

I'm not sure why they put them in, but I do know they're supposed to be installed every 1 1/2 miles.

JREwing78

Quote from: mgk920 on August 20, 2018, 10:19:30 AM

Mike

I suspect a few things going on:

- Preserving ROW for a third lane in each direction when (not if) it will be needed.

- INDOT is treating the mainline as a rehabilitation, and not making major (or any) deviations from the existing mainline alignment of SR 37. Notice that, unlike elsewhere on the I-69 buildout, all paving on the mainline is in asphalt. Underneath that asphalt is the (possibly rubbleized) original concrete roadbed.

Had it been an outright rebuild, all traffic would've been shunted onto one side or the other, and that road would've been built out in concrete. When they come back in about 15-20 years, don't be surprised if they 6-lane it then. In concrete.

- Opting to do shorter stretches of concrete barrier between highway and frontage road instead of one long stretch of concrete median barrier.

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on August 20, 2018, 02:42:08 AM

A few more. Again, photos were taken Sunday, August 19, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Liberty Church Road work zone, Morgan County, Indiana

Long range view looking south toward SR 37 from near the Liberty Church Road overpass in Morgan County, Indiana.

Closer view of the roadway looking south from the Liberty Church Road overpass.

Another perspective looking south.

Another look north toward the mainline and the bridges over Jordan Creek. Section 5 ends just around the bend in the background.

The intersection of Liberty Church Road and the eastern local access, or frontage, road, which has been signed Old State Road 37; looking southwest.

Equipment lined up on a section of unopened frontage road just north off Liberty Church Road; looking east. The pavement in the foreground is the northbound entrance ramp to SR 37, now open to traffic.

More signage; looking east toward Liberty Church Road and the overpass that will carry it over I-69.

Using the telephoto lens, another view of the mainline roadway looking south from the Liberty Church Road overpass.

The Liberty Church Road overpass and signage; looking east.

The interchange's southbound ramps (foreground) and the western frontage road (background), now signed Legendary Drive.

A vehicle on the southbound exit ramp to Liberty Church Road; looking north.

That's all for now. I'll try to get out again this week to take a few more. Before we know it, the orange barrels will be coming off the roadway as this project begins to wrap up.
Did you happen to notice if the Legendary Dr designation for the western frontage road extended south beyond Liberty Church Rd? If so, does it go all the way down to Turkey Track Rd, at its now-removed former northern access point to SR 37?

Again, many thanks for the updates & photos!

hoosierguy

Please don't quote posts with a bunch of pictures in them.

ITB

Quote from: SSR_317 on August 21, 2018, 04:50:12 PM
Did you happen to notice if the Legendary Dr designation for the western frontage road extended south beyond Liberty Church Rd? If so, does it go all the way down to Turkey Track Rd, at its now-removed former northern access point to SR 37?

Again, many thanks for the updates & photos!

While I only came across one sign, I tend to think the entire western frontage road is designated Legendary Dr all the way down to Turkey Track Road. Next time I up that way I'll look for more signage to confirm that assumption. Here's a photo of the sign at the intersection of Liberty Church Road and Legendary Drive:

Looking west from near the Liberty Church Road overpass toward the intersection of Liberty Church Rd. and the western frontage road, signed Legendary Drive.

ITB

As Section 5 is on the verge of reaching substantial completion, I decided to head out and take another batch of pictures. Here's a selection. Photos were taken Thursday, August 23, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Vicinity of the Chambers Pike overpass Work Zone

The overpass, now open to traffic, that carries Chambers Pike over State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) in northern Monroe County, Indiana; looking slightly southwest.

The view looking north toward the Chambers Pike overpass, as well as the frontage roads in the vicinity. The western frontage road (left) is open to traffic, while the eastern, in this area, is not quite ready.

Closer look at the western frontage road near the Chambers Pike overpass; looking north. Note how the frontage road goes underneath the overpass. To access the overpass, one must turn left at this point and onto Chambers Pike (just to the left; formerly N. Crossover Road).

Long range view looking south from the Chambers Pike overpass. Mainline is left; western local access, or frontage, road, right.

Another perspective looking south from the Chambers Pike overpass toward soon-to-be Interstate 69 and the new western frontage road.

Slightly different view looking south from the Chambers Pike overpass.

The view looking north from the Chambers Pike overpass.

A quiet moment, traffic wise, at the Chambers Pike overpass; looking southwest.

hoosierguy

Looks like some paving and lane striping are all that is left to finish. The portion through Bloomington is essentially done. Google Maps was finally updated to reflect the completion of the Liberty Church Road interchange.

ITB

Here's a few more. Again, photos were take Thursday, August 23, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Vicinity of the Chambers Pike overpass

Looking north from the Chambers Pike overpass toward State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) in northern Monroe County, Indiana. The new local access, or frontage, road is on the left. That road, will be signed Burma Road, as up ahead (deep background, just around the curve) it connects into, yes, Burma Road.

Another look north from the Chambers Pike overpass. As a Thursday evening began to fall in South-Central Indiana, traffic on State Road 37 seemed lighter than usual. It was about 7pm when the photo was taken.

Long range view with the telephoto lens looking south from the Chambers Pike overpass.

Closer look of the roadway using the telephoto lens; looking south from the Chambers Pike overpass. This stretch of roadway is more than a mile from the overpass.

A slightly different perspective looking north from the Chambers Pike overpass using the telephoto lens.

North of the Chambers Pike overpass, zooming in on where the mainline splits to pass through the Big Hill in northern Monroe County. Likely, the hill has a name, but I have no idea what it might be.

Vicinity of the former Burma Road/State Road 37 crossing

Traffic passing through the aforementioned hill on the southbound lanes of SR 37, a little north of the former Burma Road/SR 37 crossing. And, no, I wasn't close to the edge; it just appears that way.

And here's the other direction; looking slightly southeast. A lot of rock was blasted in this area to bring the roadway to interstate standards.

The former Burma Road/State Road 37 crossing, which was closed to traffic just a few hours prior to when the photo was taken; looking east.

The view looking southeast from near the former Burma Road/SR 37 intersection. The partially paved western frontage road, which will be signed Burma Road, is on the right.

Another perspective looking south from near the former Burma Road/SR 37 crossing.

Crew members have moved quickly to remove the pavement where Burma Road formerly intersected with SR 37; looking east.

A southbound vehicle on SR 37 nears the crest of the Big Hill just north of the former SR 37/Burma Road crossing; looking north.

Near the former Burma road crossing, traffic on State Road 37 heads south toward Bloomington and points further on; looking southeast.

Edit: changed a photo size; replaced a broken photo link

jnewkirk77

Thank you for keeping us posted with all these great pictures, ITB. The documentation of this project that you've provided has been top notch all the way, and I am grateful to get an "up close and personal" look without actually being there.  :clap:

ITB

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on August 25, 2018, 04:37:08 AM
Thank you for keeping us posted with all these great pictures, ITB. The documentation of this project that you've provided has been top notch all the way, and I am grateful to get an "up close and personal" look without actually being there.  :clap:

Thank you for the kind words.

ITB

Here's a few more pictures. I didn't plan head out for a photo shoot, but after spending some time in downtown Bloomington I still had an hour or so to spare, so I decided to go for another look see.

Very considerable progress is evident in and around in Liberty Church Road interchange in Morgan County and on down to Bryant Creek near the Monroe/Morgan county line. This stretch looks to be all paved up, with only striping work to be completed. With the mainline roadways essentially finished in Bloomington and on up to the the bridges crossing Griffy Creek, it appears crews are now in the process of laying down the final layer of asphalt between between Bryant Creek and Griffy, a distance of roughly 8 miles. Depending on the weather, it will probably take another couple of weeks, perhaps three, but substantial completion of Section 5 is close at hand.

The following photos were taken Saturday, August 25, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south toward State Road 37 (soon-to-be Interstate 69) from near the former intersection of SR 37 and Paragon Road in Morgan County, Indiana.

Closer look, again looking south from near the former intersection of SR 37/Paragon Road.

Looking south, from near the southern terminus of Turkey Track Road in Morgan County, toward the mainline roadways as they split to pass through the Big Hill in northern Monroe County. Almost all along the Section 5, fencing, with a single strand barb wire top, is now in place.

Closer look with the telephoto lens of the point where the mainline roadways split, just past the bridges crossing Bryant Creek; looking south.

Long range view looking south from near the former SR 37/Paragon Road crossing.

Edit: Minor grammar correction.

Interstate 69 Fan

Any guesses when section 5 will be done?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on August 27, 2018, 01:24:23 PM
Any guesses when section 5 will be done?

Weather permitting, I think its reasonable to believe they'll be done with major construction by the end of September.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.