News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2016 Meets

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, January 29, 2015, 02:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

The 2016 road meets I'm definitely planning on attending are the Duluth MN meet and the the Birmingham AL meet.

Other meets I'd really like to attend if possible are Jason Ilyes's central PA meet, the Corridor H meet, and the Chicago meet that Brandon Gorte is talking about. I just hope all the meets are spaced out properly and that my finances and time off from work can accommodate me attending all of these.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 04, 2015, 06:33:07 AM
My only concern about Winchester is its location relative to much of the things to see along Corridor H to the west.  This is potentially a lot of driving in terms of distance at between 200 and 300 miles (but over a highway system that is normally uncongested).

I will be researching this in a little more detail.  Plenty of time until 2016.

I'd be willing to bet that there are some good options in Elkins, which might be better situated as a starting point for a Corridor H meet. CJ Maggie's might be one option, although I have never eaten there myself.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 03, 2015, 05:48:12 PM

At this rate, there will be so many meets that I think some people will be meet-ed out.

A few years ago, it looked like the road meet phenomenon had died. It has returned with a vengeance.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on June 04, 2015, 11:44:01 AM
A few years ago, it looked like the road meet phenomenon had died.

Really? I'm curious as to what makes you say that. I've attended at least four meets per year ever since 2010.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

froggie

You're really the only one who was saying that at the time, HB...

SSOWorld

At this rate, there will be so many meets that I think some people will be meet-ed out.
Yep. I'm one of them.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

I don't think it would ever be possible for me to be "meet-ed" out. I'm completely insatiable when it comes to having reasons to travel to places, clinch highways, and collect counties that I would never have a chance to if it weren't for going to road meets and hanging out with awesome people at those meets.
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on June 05, 2015, 01:58:02 PM
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/misc.transport.road/vZ2-9eoULG4/discussion

It's very interesting reading this thread, H.B.  I was never on MTR, but wow... times have certainly changed since 2007. It seems like more and more people are coming up with ideas and plans for more road meets now than ever before. And the sizes of the groups attending the meets seem to be getting bigger as a whole. Lots of meets now with 15, 20, or more people attending. It's quite exciting, but it gets hard to decide which ones to attend - and it's getting harder for the individuals hosting these meets to coordinate with each other so the meets are spaced apart in such a way to maximize the number of attendees.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

There was a specific situation that prompted me to post that, but I can't remember now what it was.

dgolub

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on June 06, 2015, 08:24:39 AM
I don't think it would ever be possible for me to be "meet-ed" out. I'm completely insatiable when it comes to having reasons to travel to places, clinch highways, and collect counties that I would never have a chance to if it weren't for going to road meets and hanging out with awesome people at those meets.

Totally agreed on that one.

TheHighwayMan3561

Yeah. Plus I hope it's understood that no one is ever required to attend any meet (well, except the host I should hope ;) ) nor are they required to make an effort to attend every meet. You can go to as few or as many as time/finances/personal desire allow. If that's zero, that's fine, and if that's six that's fine too.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 08, 2015, 01:20:19 AM
Yeah. Plus I hope it's understood that no one is ever required to attend any meet (well, except the host I should hope ;) )

There have been instances where that happened. (The host didn't show).

froggie

Still pretty rare.  Certainly the exception rather than the rule.

Brandon

Quote from: froggie on June 08, 2015, 02:37:00 PM
Still pretty rare.  Certainly the exception rather than the rule.

I've run across two thus far.  Both run by the same person, IIRC.  Dayton 2012 and Flint 2013.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jpi

Dayton 2012 was the only meet I have been to where the host was a no show, but still managed to come together well.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

More detail about the Chambersburg road meet
Chambersburg has not replaced its signs yet, so there is plenty of old junk to go around.
There's an abandoned rail line that is a remnant of the Civil War era.
Tons of good restaurants
Button copy sign and PA font signs that are pretty old
Black on white street signs

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on June 04, 2015, 11:43:12 AM
I'd be willing to bet that there are some good options in Elkins, which might be better situated as a starting point for a Corridor H meet. CJ Maggie's might be one option, although I have never eaten there myself.

I am sure you like the name of the municipality!  ;-)

I am not averse to changing the place to start, and Elkins could be a possibility.  I want to explore the route and possibilities a little more.  Moorefield, Thomas, Davis, Parsons or even Oakland, Maryland are also possibilities. 

Wardensville looks good on the map, but there is not all that much there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 09, 2015, 01:35:21 PM
I am sure you like the name of the municipality!  ;-)

I am not averse to changing the place to start, and Elkins could be a possibility.  I want to explore the route and possibilities a little more.  Moorefield, Thomas, Davis, Parsons or even Oakland, Maryland are also possibilities. 

Wardensville looks good on the map, but there is not all that much there.

I was thinking more of dining possibilities than the name of the town. I'm not sure there is much of anything in the towns you mentioned, although I am not as familiar with Oakland as I am the other towns. Moorefield and Parsons have Sheetz locations if we want to have the first MTO meet. Thomas and Davis don't really have a whole lot. There might be a small greasy-spoon in those two little burgs, but i don't really remember seeing much in the way of availability.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on June 10, 2015, 07:54:09 PM
I was thinking more of dining possibilities than the name of the town.

I know - I made that assertion with tongue firmly in cheek.

Quote from: hbelkins on June 10, 2015, 07:54:09 PM
I'm not sure there is much of anything in the towns you mentioned, although I am not as familiar with Oakland as I am the other towns. Moorefield and Parsons have Sheetz locations if we want to have the first MTO meet. Thomas and Davis don't really have a whole lot. There might be a small greasy-spoon in those two little burgs, but i don't really remember seeing much in the way of availability.

There's a fair amount in Oakland, including a Sheetz in the middle of town on U.S. 219 (maybe it should be called the "Sheetz Highway?").

An MTO meet is not that bad of an idea - some Sheetz stores have decently-sized dining areas, but the ones in Parsons and Oakland do not (I have been at the Sheetz in Elkins, but I do not remember how it is laid-out).

Was in Thomas with Mike and Laura recently, and there is one pretty nice place that might work, right in "downtown" Thomas.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

I've never seen a Sheetz in Elkins before, although Brian Powell tweeted a photo of a new Sheetz there that has a drive-thru window. The store directory lists one at Beverly (south of US 33 on US 219/250 and WV 55/92) but I haven't seen it the times I've passed by there, last time being on my way home from Froggie's last DC meet.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on June 11, 2015, 10:34:12 PM
I've never seen a Sheetz in Elkins before, although Brian Powell tweeted a photo of a new Sheetz there that has a drive-thru window. The store directory lists one at Beverly (south of US 33 on US 219/250 and WV 55/92) but I haven't seen it the times I've passed by there, last time being on my way home from Froggie's last DC meet.

May get by there this weekend.  Not sure yet.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on June 11, 2015, 10:34:12 PM

The Elkins Sheetz is exactly where you describe it above, on the right side of U.S. 219/U.S. 250/W.Va. 55/W.Va. 92 going north. 

And it likely is large enough to handle a roadmeet, with a fair amount of inside (and outside seating).

Duke87

At some point the trouble becomes finding new territory to explore. Many cities have at this point hosted multiple meets in different years, which can dampen the interest of some people.

For example, the fact that I was at the Baltimore meet in 2010 made me lukewarm on attending the Baltimore meet earlier this year since I'd already seen most of the features of the tour. I ended up skipping the meet itself but showing up for dinner afterwards.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Duke87 on July 12, 2015, 12:43:46 AM

At some point the trouble becomes finding new territory to explore. Many cities have at this point hosted multiple meets in different years, which can dampen the interest of some people.

For example, the fact that I was at the Baltimore meet in 2010 made me lukewarm on attending the Baltimore meet earlier this year since I'd already seen most of the features of the tour. I ended up skipping the meet itself but showing up for dinner afterwards.

The other primary issue is that since many of our core meet-going members are largely clustered in the same general region, it's difficult for them to have time/money to go to a lot of meets located outside the Northeast.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.