Is Natural Gas an Unreasonably Dangerous Energy Source?

Started by Brian556, December 25, 2018, 09:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on December 27, 2018, 12:14:04 PM
I see a whole lot of people commenting here who weren't alive during the 1970s, back when the next ice age was being predicted based on climate trends.

And how much stuff has Al Gore been wrong about? Lots.

A century from now, people are going to be asking why so many people way back then were worked up over this issue as they continue to happily live their lives.
Wow. 

I believe the scientists, not crackpots.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: Beltway on December 27, 2018, 12:44:51 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 27, 2018, 12:41:47 PM
Just go back 15-20 to see what predictions were for around now.  In most cases, they are horrendously incorrect.  Many of those predictions said that coastlines would be under water; yet there's nothing today to suggest water levels are any different than they were at the times of the predictions.

My parents house fronts on waters that are at sea level and directly connect to the oceans, a Chesapeake Bay estuary.  In 40 years there has been no noticeable change in sea level on their dock or any other dock or seawall in the vicinity.  Tides go up and down twice a day, but the median has not changed.
NOAA says differently.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on December 28, 2018, 09:17:13 AM
I see a whole lot of people commenting here who weren't alive during the 1970s, back when the next ice age was being predicted based on climate trends.

A century from now, people are going to be asking why so many people way back then were worked up over this issue as they continue to happily live their lives.
Wow. 

Whether you believe scientists, politicians, priests - your right to do so is protected by the First Amendment.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on December 28, 2018, 09:27:36 AM

Wow. 

Whether you believe scientists, politicians, priests - your right to do so is protected by the First Amendment.
Freedom of expression does not remove the consequences of exercising that right.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on December 28, 2018, 09:44:35 AM

Wow. 

Freedom of expression does not remove the consequences of exercising that right.
Yep, so when people are repeating something they read (which was already misinterpreted by a journalist) - I feel like they preach science.  Or what they think science is.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on December 28, 2018, 09:58:41 AM
Quote from: Rothman on December 28, 2018, 09:44:35 AM

Wow. 

Yep, so when people are repeating something they read (which was already misinterpreted by a journalist) - I feel like they preach science.  Or what they think science is.
Good.  So only go to the direct sources and dismiss the rest.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on December 28, 2018, 10:04:48 AMGood.  So only go to the direct sources and dismiss the rest.
Believe it or not, but that is what I usually do for technical questions. And there is often a thick layer of details omitted in second-hand stories.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on December 28, 2018, 09:18:45 AM
My parents house fronts on waters that are at sea level and directly connect to the oceans, a Chesapeake Bay estuary.  In 40 years there has been no noticeable change in sea level on their dock or any other dock or seawall in the vicinity.  Tides go up and down twice a day, but the median has not changed.
NOAA says differently.

NOAA is a politicized and compromised entity.  There are cites all over the world like mine, that puts to lie the "the seas are rising!!!" claims.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Let's not too hard on priests!  Perhaps you could substitute "alchemists" or "occultists".

(Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Ah yes, everyone knows there's mountains of evidence that sky-daddy exists.

kalvado

Quote from: Beltway on December 28, 2018, 10:41:24 AM
NOAA says differently.

NOAA is a politicized and compromised entity.  There are cites all over the world like mine, that puts to lie the "the seas are rising!!!" claims.
Sea level is rising; but it is on the order of 6 inches in a past 100 years - and seemingly at least part of that rise was there before aggressive fuel burn started. And it is fairly small compared to 400' rise since the peak of the ice age (talking about Doggerland). I am not sure 6" would have any significant effect if beachfront construction didn't become much more aggressive, though. When a high tide on a calm day floods streets in Miami, I really struggle to understand how the hell those building permits were issued to begin with..

Beltway

Quote from: kalvado on December 28, 2018, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: Beltway on December 28, 2018, 10:41:24 AM
NOAA says differently.
Sea level is rising; but it is on the order of 6 inches in a past 100 years - and seemingly at least part of that rise was there before aggressive fuel burn started. And it is fairly small compared to 400' rise since the peak of the ice age (talking about Doggerland). I am not sure 6" would have any significant effect if beachfront construction didn't become much more aggressive, though. When a high tide on a calm day floods streets in Miami, I really struggle to understand how the hell those building permits were issued to begin with..

40 years is not 100 years, granted.  But the low topography in many tidal shoreline areas is such that 6 inches rise would cause a very noticeable loss of real estate. 

I also have not seen any change in nautical charts on the vertical navigational clearance of bridges; the NOAA produces them, and if say a 20-foot clearance in 1950 had decreased to 19 or 18 feet that would be a big deal to boaters who don't want to be crashing into the bridge or having their mast torn off.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Climate change is real, and this thread has gone crazy.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.