News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2017 Southeast Adirondacks Meet - July 8

Started by cl94, October 02, 2016, 10:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possible Glens Falls/Lake George meet date?

June 24
5 (45.5%)
July 8
11 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 11

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 11, 2016, 01:18:04 PM
Lastly, some of you seem to think that "bigger is better" when it comes to meets and the size of them.  But that's not always the case (the restaurant mess at SE PA 5 or 6 years ago if you want an example).  There is something to be said for quality over quantity.  I've seen/had several very good meets that were as few as 4-6 people.

I think part of that is because the meets have become more about socializing and less about roads, especially when the attendees are people who live in different parts of the country and aren't in a position to get together more often on a casual basis (such as those who live along the I-95 corridor between DC and NYC. Witness the increased popularity of post-meet events like evening meals or sporting events.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: froggie on October 11, 2016, 01:18:04 PM
Something else to consider when it comes to scheduling is that there are plenty of other things and events and family to consider when it comes to figuring out if one's available on a given day.  Sure, I may say I'm available for something on day X.  But what if a family or other obligation comes up between now and then?  In my experience, it's easier and safer to commit closer to the event than it is several months out.

That may be your experience, and I'm sure your experience is shared by others. However, there are also people on the flipside of that who are not as close to their families or who don't have the kinds of lives where other obligations pop up as often and who are more able (and would prefer) to make plans several months ahead of time.

All I'm saying is that we all have different opinions about this. One opinion does not rule over the other. It's really the host's decision as to how far out he or she wants to plan the meet. If others think several months is too early, no one is forcing them to vote on a date or make a commitment.
-A.J. from Michigan

noelbotevera

I think I might opt out of this meet. I could catch it on my way back from Boston (if my brother makes it into MIT), but i think it's more likely that I go to the meet in NYC.

vdeane

I definitely have noticed a larger number of people traveling long distances to meets than in previous years, though part of that could be me attending more of them.  It seems to be unpredictable, though, which meets will become big.

I think all the meets are going to end up scheduling themselves around Alaska next year, because it's just that unique.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on October 11, 2016, 07:38:12 PM
I definitely have noticed a larger number of people traveling long distances to meets than in previous years, though part of that could be me attending more of them.  It seems to be unpredictable, though, which meets will become big.

I think all the meets are going to end up scheduling themselves around Alaska next year, because it's just that unique.

I can see that.  I definitely did not expect to possibly be the person that traveled the longest distance to your meet a few weeks ago.

Personally, after driving ten hours from my parents' house in VA to Florence, KY, a couple years ago for my friend's wedding, I believe I became a bit hesitant to travel super-long distances due to not realizing how much it would really take out of me before that.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on October 11, 2016, 07:38:12 PM

Definitely. That being said, shortly after you guys decide, I'm making a decision so anyone who would need a hotel room can have a chance at getting one for a decent rate nearby. Short notice rates around those parts are insane in the summer.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 11, 2016, 08:17:11 PM
Personally, after driving ten hours from my parents' house in VA to Florence, KY, a couple years ago for my friend's wedding, I believe I became a bit hesitant to travel super-long distances due to not realizing how much it would really take out of me before that.

Yeah, that's how I'm feeling right now after driving to and from the Birmingham meet by myself even with a hotel stop each way. Putting a couple thousand miles on the car is tiring.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

froggie

Quote from: hbelkinsWitness the increased popularity announcing of post-meet events like evening meals or sporting events.

FTFY, because we've always had such post-meet events.  What you see more of these days is them being announced ahead of time instead of being spur-of-the-moment as they tended to be.

Quote from: vdeaneI think all the meets are going to end up scheduling themselves around Alaska next year, because it's just that unique.

A Twin Cities meet will be the exception to that, because it will (unless someone else does the planning/execution) be dependent on when my wife and I get out to Minnesota, which is already a narrowed timeframe.

vdeane

Perhaps Alaska can be scheduled in relation to Twin Cites?  The two would seem to dovetail nicely for anyone who's driving the whole way to Fairbanks.  In any case, I hope to attend Twin Cities if I do not decide to go to Alaska (I would hope that I could make Twin Cities and Lexington my two long range trips next year in that event).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

I'm probably going to plan this thing around Twin Cities as well unless it falls during the last week of July, in which case I must be in Troy. That's the long-distance meet I plan to get to and I can do it without too much time in hotels thanks to family in Buffalo.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 12, 2016, 10:32:13 AM
A Twin Cities meet will be the exception to that, because it will (unless someone else does the planning/execution) be dependent on when my wife and I get out to Minnesota, which is already a narrowed timeframe.

I've never been there, so that's one I'd definitely be interested in attending -- that, and a Florida meet if Alex does one.

Quote from: vdeane on October 12, 2016, 01:28:36 PM(I would hope that I could make Twin Cities and Lexington my two long range trips next year in that event).

I still struggle with trying to come up with enough to see in Lexington to do a meet there -- despite the fact that it's only 90 minutes from where I live and I've been going to Lexington all my life.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on October 12, 2016, 03:25:13 PM
I still struggle with trying to come up with enough to see in Lexington to do a meet there -- despite the fact that it's only 90 minutes from where I live and I've been going to Lexington all my life.

What about Louisville? Bunch of construction out that way.

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on October 12, 2016, 03:51:16 PM
What about Louisville? Bunch of construction out that way.

Just the bridges, which will be done by the end of the year.

noelbotevera

I voted for July 8th. Usually we do our roadtrips late June/early July. If my brother makes it to MIT I might be able to do this roadmeet if I manage to make this coincide with some other plans I have outside of Boston. I'm also hoping to make my second appearance at a meet in another state over 200 miles from home.

Rothman

Not that I've attended a whole lot of meets, but I've yet to attend one that has felt "too big."

Voted for later in July; I've got a wedding to attend on the Pacific Coast (Oregon) in late June that I'm hoping to turn into a multiple-week-long road trip.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

After taking a drive through the area a couple days ago, might be worth adding a couple stops in Pawlet, VT and Shushan to the potential route. Pawlet has a bunch of really old signs and Shushan is a treasure trove, including a button copy "stop on red signal" crossbuck and the really old diamond that predates the crossbuck. The amount of old stuff in that area is nothing short of amazing.

Roadgeek Adam

Shushan is a major delay, no offense. it's a 40 mile drive between Lake George Village and Shushan. I feel like that should be a post-meet trip.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 20, 2016, 01:50:16 PM
Shushan is a major delay, no offense. it's a 40 mile drive between Lake George Village and Shushan. I feel like that should be a post-meet trip.

Yeah, you're probably right. Doing the covered bridges and Shushan as a post-meet would allow more time in the Adirondacks.

Roadgeek Adam

Outside of Canada Street (9/9N), NY 912Q, what else did you have in mind for the meet?
Adam Seth Moss

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 20, 2016, 02:21:42 PM
Outside of Canada Street (9/9N), NY 912Q, what else did you have in mind for the meet?

Hadley bridges, the Stewart's Bridge Dam, NY 418, Warrensburg's truss bridges, old signs on Washington CRs 35/36, Hudson Falls/Fort Edward bridges over the Hudson, US 9 over the Hudson, which has a walking path underneath to view the falls and Cooper's Cave. I'd probably get a run through Downtown Glens Falls, which still has a decent amount of old signs and the infamous NY 9L end sign several blocks before the actual end (dates to when stuff was one way downtown). Not far from there might be the worst speed limit signs on a public road. A possible "non-roads" would be the old Feeder Canal locks in Hudson Falls and the drive out to Hadley would likely include Saratoga CR 24 and a drive past the former site of the International Paper mill and the weird grade crossing outside of it. Canada Street and the beach area, while it will be congested, is a must as it was just redone and there are quite a few erroneous NY 9 shields.

I know a lot of meets focus on new stuff, but I figured we'd try and see a lot of what is unique to the region. Plus, it's not like New York has much in the way of new construction outside of NY 17 and Tappan Zee.

The biggest problem is that I could really make the stuff in Eastern Washington County and SW Vermont into its own meet, but the area is so rural that the meeting location would need to be quite far away. Probably best to do that as a 2-hour post meet for interested individuals. Also a shame that Glens Falls recently did a bunch of signal replacements, because some of the stuff there was...um...interesting.

Roadgeek Adam

Canada Street is always congested in the summer. :P

Regardless, everything on the itinerary looks good. Personally, I would include a trip to Riparius, but that is up to you. (I think the group photo being at Riparius would be great.)
Adam Seth Moss

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 20, 2016, 03:01:27 PM
Canada Street is always congested in the summer. :P

Regardless, everything on the itinerary looks good. Personally, I would include a trip to Riparius, but that is up to you. (I think the group photo being at Riparius would be great.)

I was thinking have the picture at the Bow Bridge (you won't find it anywhere else), but Riparius is a good suggestion for a stop. Not too far out of the way and they did a pretty good job of making that bridge look old. Actually would tie in quite well, as CR 11 is a good way to cut over to 9N and the view is amazing.

I'm well aware of how bad Canada Street is and I'm prepared to add 20 minutes to whatever Google Maps spits out. I grew up 2 blocks from one of the restaurants I'm considering. I wouldn't have it on the route if it wasn't redone this year and they didn't do a major reconstruction on CR 6.

Roadgeek Adam

Which one if I may ask? I spent many summers in Lake George and know almost every business (even closed ones) in the village.
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2016, 01:53:52 PM

Yeah, you're probably right. Doing the covered bridges and Shushan as a post-meet would allow more time in the Adirondacks.
Or a pre-meet. If it's going to take 2-3 hours to get down there and poke around, that's something that can be done in the 8-11 window easily, but you'll run out of daylight post-meet.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2016, 06:32:58 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2016, 01:53:52 PM

Or a pre-meet. If it's going to take 2-3 hours to get down there and poke around, that's something that can be done in the 8-11 window easily, but you'll run out of daylight post-meet.

Good point. That would also allow us to meet up somewhere at the southern end of the fun stuff and work our way up to Glens Falls and limit deadheading. The area is full of cool bridges and old signs, but it's literally in the middle of nowhere. Definitely one of the highest concentrations of covered bridges out there.

froggie

Quote from: cl94The biggest problem is that I could really make the stuff in Eastern Washington County and SW Vermont into its own meet, but the area is so rural that the meeting location would need to be quite far away.

Not necessarily.  Besides a number of local restaurants, there's a Chili's in Bennington.  Doug has also held a meet in Bennington proper in the past.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.