News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Terrain height and roads in the imagery don't mix.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TwinsMetsFan

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on June 03, 2011, 12:37:54 AM
What's this "US 940" you speak of, Google?
Google also marks that segment as "County Road 940", but I have no clue why that caused US route markers to appear. As for CR 940, that part of US 62 was internally designated as CR 940 when it was maintained by Chautauqua County during the 1970s, but the number hasn't existed since 1980 when ownership of this piece of US 62 was transferred to the state. I can't say I'm surprised that Google's data still has it, considering it has many references to routes that were eliminated in or around 1980 (such as NY 239, NY 358, and until recently NY 422 and NY 288).

HighwayMaster

Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 11, 2011, 11:25:06 AM
Not G. Maps, but G. Earth. On I-79 and some on-ramps just south of the Ohio River, a "wall of spikes" line the roads:
The PA-51 overpass sunk as well. Me> :pan: <Google

Quote from: ftballfan on May 17, 2011, 10:29:28 PM
Quebec Route 366 = US-30
I-136 was close, but this takes the cake.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

Rover_0

Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

TwinsMetsFan

Apologies if this one's been mentioned already, but I found a strange error during some down time earlier. In Remsen, New York, there's a road marked as NY 28B - a designation that hasn't existed in almost 50 years. As if that wasn't enough, the road in question doesn't exist.

deathtopumpkins

And I love how it intersects "Newyork 920V"  :-/
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Icodec

US-136 is marked as Interstate 136 and colored yellow. This really gets on my nerves. I realize that it is an "interstate," but why can't just mark it with a US-route shield? Ughhhh.

Mr. Matté

The I-136 thing has been fixed for a few weeks. Did you try clearing your browser's cache?

The QC 366/US 30 problem still exists.

vtk

Quote from: mightyace on April 19, 2011, 06:19:30 PM
In this case that would only do me any good if Google Earth had newer imaging than Google Maps.  i.e. I want newer images on 840 not older.

Often it does.  Google Maps' default "satellite" layer consists of what Google considers to be the "best" imagery available, which isn't always the newest.  This can happen if newer imagery is of relatively low resolution, or sometimes for no apparent reason at all.  Until 2008 or 2009, Google's default imagery for Columbus was some unattributed source from 2004, even though 1ft OSIP 2007 imagery was available from 2007.  By the time they incorporated OSIP into the default imagery layer, the 2009 USDA Farm Service Agency (NAIP?) imagery had become available in Google Earth.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PAHighways

Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 21, 2011, 05:29:39 PMThe QC 366/US 30 problem still exists.

I just got an e-mail today from someone who used Google for directions, and wondered why it said "Quebec Route."  They thought it might be a misinterpretation of quadrant route.  It has even fooled my local paper, who gave the address of a restaurant in Ligonier as "2727 Quebec Route 366."

It must be taking them a long time to get the fixes online, because while I was told my elimination of PA 66 between New Stanton and Greensburg was approved, it still shows it multiplexed with US 119.

rawmustard

Quote from: PAHighways on June 29, 2011, 07:31:41 PM
I just got an e-mail today from someone who used Google for directions, and wondered why it said "Quebec Route."
I wonder if it's the same person who reported on this story. :hmmm:

PAHighways

Quote from: rawmustard on June 30, 2011, 11:54:11 AM
Quote from: PAHighways on June 29, 2011, 07:31:41 PM
I just got an e-mail today from someone who used Google for directions, and wondered why it said "Quebec Route."
I wonder if it's the same person who reported on this story. :hmmm:

One in the same.

During the interview, he asked me if Google Map Maker has a system of checks and balances, so I relayed my experiences as well as others mentioned in this thread.

NE2

"I believe there was one incident where someone had marked the entire United States as a military reserve. That's one of the dangers with having too many cooks in the kitchen."

This was on OpenStreetMap, and was reverted in about two hours.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on June 30, 2011, 01:05:42 PM
too many cocks in the kitchen.

that sums up the internet in general.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PAHighways

"I believe there was one incident where someone had marked the entire United States as a military reserve. That's one of the dangers with having too many cooks in the kitchen."

I mentioned the site in our conversation, to show that there are other similar sites with similar issues.  I guess he got confused and thought I was speaking of Google Maps as well.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on June 30, 2011, 02:20:13 PM
"I believe there was one incident where someone had marked the entire United States as a military reserve. That's one of the dangers with having too many cooks in the kitchen.”

I mentioned the site in our conversation, to show that there are other similar sites with similar issues.  I guess he got confused and thought I was speaking of Google Maps as well.

You should let him know that Google's reviewers don't know what a freeway is. lol. (in reference to I-381 in VA)

NE2

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 01, 2011, 07:21:47 AM
You should let him know that Google's reviewers don't know what a freeway is. lol. (in reference to I-381 in VA)
And OSM's editors do? (Alaskan Way Viaduct)

PAHighways

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 01, 2011, 07:21:47 AMYou should let him know that Google's reviewers don't know what a freeway is. lol. (in reference to I-381 in VA)

I mentioned that as well.

texaskdog

I email them all the time about how it is physically impossible to go the routes they suggest and they email me back thanking me and telling me I'm right, and then they don't change it.

Scott5114

I think I've basically given up on Google Maps. Gonna be using OSM as much as possible from now on...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rickmastfan67

NE2

Somethiing got deleted; happens in OSM too. And US 35 certainly isn't a freeway north of there.

rickmastfan67

Another wierd thing.  While in the "main" map of Google, they show the TN/VA border in the correct place.  Yet in Map Maker, they show it around Broad Street in Bristol.

Normal: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=36.595495,-82.182541&spn=0.012869,0.027874&z=16
MapMaker: http://www.google.com/mapmaker?ll=36.595495,-82.182541&spn=0.012869,0.027874&t=m&z=16&source=gm_el

Quote from: NE2 on July 01, 2011, 10:38:03 PM
Somethiing got deleted; happens in OSM too. And US 35 certainly isn't a freeway north of there.

Did you notice the wrong dirrection highway as well?

corco

And the solution to "Quebec Route 366" was to delete the US-30 shields, so now there's text for "US-30" and "Quebec Route 366" although now it looks like you have to zoom in a bit further to see Route 366

Ugh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.