News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighwayMaster

Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

I guess this is considered "incorrect", but it's funny at the same time. US 66 is shown as an active highway along many areas of I-40, but the shields do not appear on actual segments of old US 66, nor does US 66 officially exist anymore. I'm guessing Google did this to let people know where US 66 was if one wants to take a road trip.

txstateends

Quote from: HighwayMaster on July 13, 2012, 02:29:16 PM
I don't know how to explain how this happened.

http://goo.gl/maps/g3MF
http://goo.gl/maps/fDXY

I've been noticing 'Hwy 77' and 'Rte 77' along with the 77 shields on the Dallas-area maps for weeks now.  If there is the possibility of a shield graphic for a road, why would you also want to have multiple textual versions of the same labeling??  >ugh<, overkill!!
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

CL

The entirety of US-89 has been demoted to state route status. Yay.
Infrastructure. The city.

kphoger

Quote from: CL on July 25, 2012, 11:04:16 AM
The entirety of US-89 has been demoted to state route status. Yay.

Maybe someone read one of the threads on here saying how there's no such thing as a federal route, and decided to change US-89 to a state route to accurately reflect that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadsguy

Apparently now Business Interstate 83 in York has been redesignated Interstate 83B. :eyebrow:

When I used Map Maker (I've since learned that they never listen any more that way than through Report a Problem.), I noticed that a business tag in the route number changes the form of number, but not the shield graphic. This may or may not be Bus. 83B or just 83B.

Why they can't just recolor the shield green is beyond me...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Central Avenue

I guess showing business routes with a "B" suffix is better than not showing them at all, but the best solution would be to put "BUS." above the shield. You know, like every other map ever.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

rickmastfan67

Map Maker is a joke.  OSM's editing software is 10x easier to use.

Roadsguy

I know, I use it. Now all OSM needs is satellite view outside of the editor... :nod:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Scott5114

I wouldn't hold your breath. Satellite/aerial data is mostly copyrighted, and OSM aims to build a map free of any copyright encumbrances. They might be able to get public domain USGS data but it probably wouldn't be as high quality as Google or Bing's. The satellite map in the editor is used under license from Bing, but they probably want to keep that restricted to the editors. The general public can look at it on their site.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadsguy

http://maps.google.com/?ll=40.450343,-78.567352&spn=0.15179,0.338173&t=m&z=12

Google has hit an all-time low at problem-fixing. For a long time, US 22 was entirely labeled as an "expressway," from I-376 all the way to where it becomes a freeway. (Who knows, it may have been internally an expressway all the way to I-99!) They have since "fixed" this and labeled the whole thing yellow (national highway?), with the occasional patch of expressway. Not to mention that the I-99 connector that was incorrectly entirely shown as a ramp is still shown as freeway-colored ramps. :banghead:

Also, they added but didn't remove at the former south end of the PA 88 expressway in Brownsville. :eyebrow:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=40.018265,-79.940429&spn=0.009548,0.021136&t=m&z=16

(As if their setup made any sense even when it wasn't extended yet...)

vdeane

That seems to happen somewhat often; I blame the poor editing interface.  They usually get cleaned up, but not always.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadsguy

Quote from: deanej on August 14, 2012, 04:08:58 PM
That seems to happen somewhat often

Yeah, whenever they base something on a construction satellite view, it never ends well. Just look at WV 43 at I-68.

Roadsguy

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 21, 2012, 11:05:10 AM
Large parts of US 209 in PA are labeled as Interstate 209. :banghead:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=40.723844,-76.002731&spn=0.302341,0.676346&t=m&z=11

Isn't the first time that type of error has popped up in Google land.  At one time, the entire length of US-136 was re-branded as I-136.  It was talked about somewhere in this thread if you want to "go back in time" for a bit Roadsguy. ;)

Roadsguy

I read the whole thread once, before I joined. These errors make up a good chunk of what I laugh at. :) (Not really...)

sandwalk

agentsteel53

US-41 in Miami is shown to head north for several blocks on US-1 after its SW 7th St terminus.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 29, 2012, 08:47:11 PM
US-41 in Miami is shown to head north for several blocks on US-1 after its SW 7th St terminus.

It may not be posted in the field, but Google has it correct here. :wow:  FDOT still considers US-41 heading up US-1 to FL-A1A to continue over to the beaches.  Just look at their GIS files.

agentsteel53

quick, somebody alert Dale Sanderson!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Dale goes mostly by signage, which consistently ends US 41 at US 1.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Signage ends CR 529 twice in NJ as you head north. It's not 100% reliable. Then again, states aren't 100% reliable either - just ask the omitted NJ 62 and included NJ 524 back in earlier Straight Line Diagrams.

Roadsguy

Not really an error, but they show US 1 on the Overseas Highway in Florida multiplexing FL 5, even all the way up to Jacksonville. This is technically correct, since 5 is the secret number for US 1 through there.

formulanone

SR 5 is the "secret number" for US 1 throughout most of (but not all of) Florida. It is indeed SR5/US1 throughout The Keys.

A notable exception is from Lantana Boulevard to Southern Boulevard in Palm Beach County; there's a defacto FL 5 (Olive Boulevard) and a separate US 1 (Dixie Highway) which is secretly FL 805, as they run parallel to each other.

(Example.)

NE2

Hey mods, you can remove this from the news at the top of the forum:
QuoteBefore posting about the Google Maps "U.S. XX in XXXX" state error, please note that it is already common knowledge among board members.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.