News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kacie Jane

Quote from: NE2 on April 26, 2013, 12:23:42 PM
Routing gap in US 65: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U.S.+165+N%2FUS-65+N&daddr=U.S.+165+N%2FUS-65+N&hl=en&ll=33.710061,-91.461182&spn=0.260463,0.528374&sll=33.72591,-91.447642&sspn=0.016276,0.033023&geocode=FaRIAgIdE6aM-g%3BFcChAgIdJIeM-g&gl=us&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=16&t=m&z=12

There's an irony there.  Where above, there's an odd break in the line on the map, but it would still route you correctly on the freeway in question.  But here, the map looks fine, but it won't route you that way (and still doesn't even route you on the shortest alternate).

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mr. Matté

I'm thinking there's a chance Google might start signing county highways with shields. I just noticed in Google Earth, county highways are displayed with a rectangular shield; while not like the signed pentagons, it is in-line with other mapping services like paper maps and Bing.

But of course, it's Google so they fuck it up badly:

Billy F 1988

That's Google for you. Complain to them about incorrect highways, they ain't gonna do shit about it. They'll just go "fuck you, that's what we have it as" and shun you. They may as well be messed up goats from Alanland who think it's "Analland". What a bunch of dipshits! Go to he...er...um Alanland, or whatever that place is called, Google! Or should I say SCREWGLE?!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on April 26, 2013, 05:33:09 PM
Bahaha. Some idiot deleted the new piece of SR 429: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.66747,-81.52997&spn=0.068682,0.132093&gl=us&t=m&z=14

It's not deleted, but it's been marked as "planned" again.  Just zoom in to the closer zooms and it shows up again.
http://goo.gl/maps/hhpTD

formulanone

Apple Maps has begun to how county pentagons in some areas. I noticed some in Central Florida, and Indiana, when tinkering with an iPad recently (Edit: Alabama, too). Oddly, I didn't think Indiana signed their county routes...at least, the Shield Gallery doesn't have any, nor have I seen one there.

Google's gotta keep up, I suppose.

Bickendan

This one's not just Google -- EVERY online mapping service has this one wrong. In Google's favor, they've got it less wrong. Surprisingly.

http://goo.gl/maps/OYJgs
"SW Zoo Rd" is really SW Knights Blvd. There are no signs from US 26 referring to Knights or any other street name, just a directional sign toward the Oregon Zoo, Childrens' Museum and Washington Park in general. OpenStreetMap goes with this particular error, and it's somewhat understandable.

However, in the park itself, there are zero street signs pointing to an existence of a "SE Zoo Rd". The posted maps in the park do show SW Knights Blvd.

I mentioned Google (and OSM) have this 'less wrong' than the others.
Rand McNally (and by extension, the last edition of the Portland Thomas Guide, RIP), Bing, Yahoo and MapQuest (non-OSM) all show this as 'SW Canyon Rd'. Canyon Rd is actually the freeway.
Thomas Guides 2007 and before agree with Washington Park's posted maps.

tdindy88

Quote from: formulanone on April 27, 2013, 09:17:54 AM
Apple Maps has begun to how county pentagons in some areas. I noticed some in Central Florida, and Indiana, when tinkering with an iPad recently. Oddly, I didn't think Indiana signed their county routes...at least, the Shield Gallery doesn't have any, nor have I seen one there.

Google's gotta keep up, I suppose.

I've seen three pentagon shields in Indiana my whole life. County roads are usually marked on regular street shields. I get a kick at seeing maps using a square or pentagon to represent county highway numbers (County Road 100 North for instance) when they are nothing more than road names.

WNYroadgeek

Apparently Google thinks NY 20C still exists: http://goo.gl/maps/NsscN

EDIT: And apparently they didn't get the memo that NYSDOT decommissioned NY 360 last year: http://goo.gl/maps/42OuK

Roadgeek2500

Once Again the Media Byp. (US 1) has been Downgraded to "yellow" http://goo.gl/maps/kHlGa
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

TEG24601

Thanks for pointing that out.  I've gone ahead and corrected Zoo Rd.  I can't seem to fix the number of lanes, but will hopefully find someone who can.  All you need to do to correct it is to use Google Mapmaker.

I'll take a look at some of the other bad information and work on correcting it.

I did notice the other day that FL-5 is labeled from Mainland Florida to Key West, along with US-1 and A1A (which just shows up as 1A).  Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of FL-5 over that route, so I can correct it.

Quote from: Bickendan on April 28, 2013, 02:45:44 AM
This one's not just Google -- EVERY online mapping service has this one wrong. In Google's favor, they've got it less wrong. Surprisingly.

http://goo.gl/maps/OYJgs
"SW Zoo Rd" is really SW Knights Blvd. There are no signs from US 26 referring to Knights or any other street name, just a directional sign toward the Oregon Zoo, Childrens' Museum and Washington Park in general. OpenStreetMap goes with this particular error, and it's somewhat understandable.

However, in the park itself, there are zero street signs pointing to an existence of a "SE Zoo Rd". The posted maps in the park do show SW Knights Blvd.

I mentioned Google (and OSM) have this 'less wrong' than the others.
Rand McNally (and by extension, the last edition of the Portland Thomas Guide, RIP), Bing, Yahoo and MapQuest (non-OSM) all show this as 'SW Canyon Rd'. Canyon Rd is actually the freeway.
Thomas Guides 2007 and before agree with Washington Park's posted maps.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

TEG24601

Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on May 04, 2013, 03:37:29 PM
Once Again the Media Byp. (US 1) has been Downgraded to "yellow" http://goo.gl/maps/kHlGa

The Google Map(maker) moderators don't like roads that change types.  They are very often converting Freeways and Expressways back to National Highway (Yellow), and it takes a lot of work for us to keep them correct.  I've been spending over a year keeping the new IN-25 Expressway as an Expressway.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

NE2

Quote from: TEG24601 on May 04, 2013, 04:48:47 PM
I did notice the other day that FL-5 is labeled from Mainland Florida to Key West, along with US-1 and A1A (which just shows up as 1A).  Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of FL-5 over that route, so I can correct it.
Bahaha. Every fucking map, even most local printed maps, shows these "hidden" routes. Good luck removing them. (As for SR 5, it exists from Key West to Georgia but is only signed on Olive Avenue-Federal Highway in Lake Worth-West Palm, ending at Belvedere.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Michael

This post isn't about a highway, but a set of directions.

I took a day trip to our church camp with some friends on July 3rd last summer (I meant to post this on July 4th, but I'm just getting to it now, ten months later :banghead:), and the one driving got her directions from Google Maps.  Here's an overview of the trip.  Last fall (November I believe), Google changed it's routing algorithm, and the old routing looked like this current alternate routing option.  The problem is near Canastota and Rome.  The correct routing is to stay on the Thruway until exit 33, then take NY 365 to Rome.  The old algorithm had you get off at exit 34 (NY 13) and literally sent you zigzagging across Oneida County.  My friend who was driving got confused at this intersection when she was looking for a sign for Rome-Taburg Road that was mentioned in the directions, but the intersection only had signs for NY 46, NY 49, and NY 69.  My other friend opened Google Maps on her iPhone, gave it to me and asked if I could make any sense of the map.  I'd looked up the area on Google Maps before we left, and I knew that turning left would be taking us away from where we wanted to be, so I had her turn right to get to NY 26.  This gave me some more things to add to the You Know You're A Roadgeek If... thread, and inspired me to create a thread about when being a roadgeek has been helpful.

On the way home, we took NY 365, but with a slight variation.  We took James Street between Downtown Rome and NY 365 instead of staying on NY 26.  Using James Street is .8 miles and one minute shorter, but the only problem with using James Street in the default routing on Google Maps is a 9 foot high railroad tunnel.

I don't understand why Google picked the longer routing by default with the old algorithm.  The option of taking I-81 north to NY 69 in Oswego County is about 12 miles and 20 minutes longer than either of the routings above, yet was an option with the old algorithm and still is with the new algorithm.

Here's a link to a trip report I posted in the New York thread on the Northeast board.

I posted earlier in this thread about two separate "US Route in ____" errors on the same road, but I beat that record by finding three separate "US Route in ____" errors on US 6 west of the Bear Mountain Bridge last spring, but never posted it.  Fortunately, they were fixed by July when I took the trip I wrote about above.

kphoger

Quote from: TEG24601 on May 04, 2013, 05:00:07 PM
The Google Map(maker) moderators don't like roads that change types

Says you!  Start here and scroll south for a while.  It's all freeway, so I'm not sure why different halves change color every few millimeters.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

swbrotha100

I-49 is cosigned with AR 549 south of Texarkana.

Some_Person

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2013, 01:50:13 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on May 04, 2013, 05:00:07 PM
The Google Map(maker) moderators don't like roads that change types

Says you!  Start here and scroll south for a while.  It's all freeway, so I'm not sure why different halves change color every few millimeters.

That problem seems to exist nearly everywhere there's a freeway:
http://goo.gl/maps/AXp7a
http://goo.gl/maps/CkCJM

This is another error that I often question though:
http://goo.gl/maps/Hcep0 - Notice PA 33 and US 22 near Easton and I-78, they're rendered poorly and dont appear at points, and this error only seems to happen in satellite mode. Also, for some reason, the freeway portion of PA 378 doesn't show up whatsoever on that link, even though other state highway-freeways are shown.

jp the roadgeek

Apparently, Google Maps now indicates that a new section of CT 9 is open.  No, not a northern extension to CT 4 or a Long Island Sound bridge, but as a section of Minor Hill Rd. in Roxbury about 30 miles from the closest stretch of the real CT 9.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Molandfreak

Surprise! I-580 now ends at the California border :bigass:

http://goo.gl/maps/bylO3

Quote from: swbrotha100 on May 06, 2013, 07:46:58 PM
I-49 is cosigned with AR 549 south of Texarkana.
I have absolutely no problem with this :nod:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

kphoger

You want proof that all they do is draw lines over their own satellite imagery?  Here it is.

This is obviously in the process of being upgraded from a three-way at-grade intersection to a four-way cloverleaf:

And so the Goog gives us this quite unuseful map:

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Molandfreak

Quote from: kphoger on May 21, 2013, 08:17:32 PM
You want proof that all they do is draw lines over their own satellite imagery?  Here it is.

This is obviously in the process of being upgraded from a three-way at-grade intersection to a four-way cloverleaf:

And so the Goog gives us this quite unuseful map:

Now that's just... Sad... :wow:
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Molandfreak on May 17, 2013, 07:48:46 PM
Surprise! I-580 now ends at the California border :bigass:

http://goo.gl/maps/bylO3

And it cannot continue further because there is another I-580 in CA :sombrero:.

Recently I saw yet another Google Maps mistake, but I forgot where it was.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 22, 2013, 08:42:56 AM
Recently I saw yet another Google Maps mistake, but I forgot where it was.

It was Virginia.
Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

where is 580 intended to end? 

would it be too much of a fudge to have that last mile or two in CA be also signed as "California I-580"?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Molandfreak

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 22, 2013, 12:36:21 PM
where is 580 intended to end? 

would it be too much of a fudge to have that last mile or two in CA be also signed as "California I-580"?
I-580 doesn't go anywhere north of I-80.

Since I-580's purpose in Nevada is only to give Carson City an interstate, it wouldn't make much sense to continue it north.

AASHTO would have a fit if California wanted to sign another 580, but then again that would be kind of hypocritical if Iowa had numbered their two I-280s and 380s as planned.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.