News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: Molandfreak on May 22, 2013, 01:44:21 PMIowa had their two I-280s and 380s as planned.

really?  this was a plan?  I've never heard of this, but it seems logical... there are lots of interstates with the same number located closer together.  I-295s of various flavor come to mind.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Molandfreak

I-235 was originally planned as I-380, and I-680 was originally planned as I-280 and I-80N.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Eth

myosh_tino

Quote from: Eth on May 22, 2013, 09:48:14 PM
In Google's defense, both of these routes are indeed signed.
If you zoom out two levels you'll see two routes... US 66 and SR-49.  I suspect US 66 is part of Cars Land at Disney's California Adventure.  Route 49 probably pays homage to CA-49 which runs right through the heart of California's gold country.  I seem to recall seeing a CA-49 route shield at Disney's California Adventure during my last visit back in 2008.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Eth

Quote from: myosh_tino on May 23, 2013, 03:00:28 PM
If you zoom out two levels you'll see two routes... US 66 and SR-49.  I suspect US 66 is part of Cars Land at Disney's California Adventure.  Route 49 probably pays homage to CA-49 which runs right through the heart of California's gold country.  I seem to recall seeing a CA-49 route shield at Disney's California Adventure during my last visit back in 2008.

Indeed, that's precisely what I was referring to. I saw those firsthand when I was there on Tuesday. Rather amusing that Google gave them the full treatment.

formulanone

Quote from: Eth on May 23, 2013, 05:33:05 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on May 23, 2013, 03:00:28 PMIf you zoom out two levels you'll see two routes... US 66 and SR-49.  I suspect US 66 is part of Cars Land at Disney's California Adventure.  Route 49 probably pays homage to CA-49 which runs right through the heart of California's gold country.  I seem to recall seeing a CA-49 route shield at Disney's California Adventure during my last visit back in 2008.

Indeed, that's precisely what I was referring to. I saw those firsthand when I was there on Tuesday. Rather amusing that Google gave them the full treatment.

So...who's up for suggesting US 498 to Google for a small part of Animal Kingdom?

NE2

Better: I-95 (appears to be accurate early spec with NEW YORK) on what's obviously a surface street in Hollywood Studios.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamontheroad/6300481797/
(And an embossed cutout CALIFORNIA US 66.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sbeaver44

Anyone else experiencing Google Maps' refusal to route over I-94/Bishop Ford Freeway in Chicago?  Even if I try to drag the route onto I-94 it avoids it... is there some closure that, even though I have tried to research, I should be aware of?

kphoger

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 27, 2013, 03:26:16 PM
Anyone else experiencing Google Maps' refusal to route over I-94/Bishop Ford Freeway in Chicago?  Even if I try to drag the route onto I-94 it avoids it... is there some closure that, even though I have tried to research, I should be aware of?

It appears that I-94 on Google Maps is "broken" between Sibley and I-57.  No obvious reason that I can tell, though.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Wouldn't surprise me if that's what all the local realtors call it.  Still, seems like it could be shortened. Maybe: Nocha O'Marclar.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

Quote from: vtk on May 28, 2013, 12:44:46 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if that's what all the local realtors call it.
Probably chicken and egg - some realtor database has it and Google imported that. Or maybe the Goog was first.

formulanone

Look for Northeast and Southwest Rural West Ashley to appear.

Why are these little outposts suddenly becoming so prominent, in the eyes of Goofle?

rebel049

After having many attempts to have Google correct obvious errors falling on deaf ears I wan't to thank all of you for confirming that it just isn't happening to me. After seeing this post being on 34 pages, I decided to read through all of the responses, and again, I want to thank all of you for the best laugh I have had in a long time for sharing your crazy findings and awesome humor.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Eth on May 23, 2013, 05:33:05 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on May 23, 2013, 03:00:28 PM

This isn't the first time that this has been brought up.

Quote from: OCGuy81 on September 16, 2011, 10:36:25 AM
Interesting little note on Google Maps.

If you zoom in on Disneyland, specifically Disney's California Adventure, the trail that encircles the park actually shows up on Google Maps as CA-49.  It's funny, because there ARE CA-49 novelty shields as you walk the park, and I guess someone at Google took it literally.

They also show CA-66 where "Cars" Land is under construction.

I'm unsure how to post Google Map images, but it's worth checking out if you're interested in Google errors.

flowmotion

The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge's primary label is now "Lincoln Hwy", and the secondary label is "Dwight D. Eisenhower Hwy". Thanks a lot, roadgeeks.

Billy F 1988

Oh, my God, Google! How can they fuck that up?! Man, I hate Google Maps so much! It's so discouraging to me having to see all these errors being made by Google, I just want it to burn! If Google is making this many errors on an occasional basis, they really should just kill the Google Maps service, redo it, and do it right the first time so that we wouldn't have to keep documenting these erroneous entires Google keeps on inputting!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

vdeane

Judging by the "new Google Maps" thread, re-doing the service will only make things worse...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Billy F 1988

Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Roadsguy

When was that strip and what's the context?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

kphoger

The copyright looks like 2009, but I'm not entirely sure.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Billy F 1988

Pearls Before Swine - United Features Syndicate (date pretty much is '09)

Anyways, moving back to the topic at hand, I just am so discouraged by these errors that Google makes on their maps so much. Mapquest is about the only thing close to reliable, same with Bing and Yahoo.

kphoger

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on June 05, 2013, 01:59:09 PM
Mapquest is about the only thing close to reliable, same with Bing and Yahoo.

I had abandoned Mapquest and Yahoo quite a while ago, though I do sometimes use Bing Maps.  Since you said that, I did a quick glance at all three again, and I still find all three of them falling short of Google, despite the latter's mistakes.
Male pronouns, please.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: kphoger on June 05, 2013, 04:49:09 PM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on June 05, 2013, 01:59:09 PM
Mapquest is about the only thing close to reliable, same with Bing and Yahoo.

I had abandoned Mapquest and Yahoo quite a while ago, though I do sometimes use Bing Maps.  Since you said that, I did a quick glance at all three again, and I still find all three of them falling short of Google, despite the latter's mistakes.

Yeah. Mapquest, Bing and Yahoo do have their shortcomings, but certainly don't input silly labels like "Northwest Rural West Ashley" and things like that and they do have shortcomings using the appropriate route markers. Yes, the three fall short behind the Goog, it's just that Google makes a lot of mistakes while mistakes by Yahoo, Bing, and Mapquest aren't as prominent, but that doesn't mean all are mistake-free, per se. And not all are 100% accurate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.