Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

It isn't an incorrect marking exactly, but a lack of marking that bothers me.  For some time now Google has been leaving off road names for numbered roads that don't get a highway number marker.  Numbered county roads and Farm-to-Market roads are often not labelled.  In Texas Farm-to-Market roads are "on system" and maintained as a lower class of state highways, and most of them are not identified at all on the maps.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Molandfreak

Quote from: wxfree on July 27, 2013, 12:03:12 AM
It isn't an incorrect marking exactly, but a lack of marking that bothers me.  For some time now Google has been leaving off road names for numbered roads that don't get a highway number marker.  Numbered county roads and Farm-to-Market roads are often not labelled.  In Texas Farm-to-Market roads are "on system" and maintained as a lower class of state highways, and most of them are not identified at all on the maps.
Yeah the lack of some highway systems appearing on google maps has always bothered me. I also don't know why they don't mark county lines. But I guess you can't please everyone.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

jwolfer

deathtopumpkins

Now, not only does Google mark the TCH with the words "Route Transcanadienne" sticking out of a TCH shield, but there are also a few "Quebec Route 138" Quebec route shields: http://goo.gl/maps/V7lPI
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Molandfreak

Alberta 35 now extends into the Northwest Territories. http://goo.gl/maps/b9BUo
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Alps

For the first time, Google is using square shields for county routes. Finally, you can tell them apart from state routes! Now, what have they done in Missouri, Virginia... West Virginia...

Kacie Jane

To be fair, most printed maps I've seen group "county" and "state secondary" together in the legend, so using a square for those routes in those states wouldn't be incorrect.  Putting "State Route C" in said square, however...

NE2

I think WV is just TIGER data sucking particular ass wrt fractional routes. Here's an overlap of CR 63 and CR 6/3: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.435018,-81.419184&spn=0.012925,0.028346&gl=us&t=m&z=16
TIGER has both on different portions: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/15574288 http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/15578989

As for Virginia, most TIGER counties (correctly) use State Route x, but some have County Route x.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

wxfree

Quote from: Steve on July 30, 2013, 10:57:48 PM
For the first time, Google is using square shields for county routes. Finally, you can tell them apart from state routes! Now, what have they done in Missouri, Virginia... West Virginia...

It's an improvement over leaving them unlabelled, but the county roads look the same as the Farm-to-Market roads, which are the "state secondary routes" in Texas.  I remember them before being labelled in text, as "County Road 123" and "Farm-To-Market 1234."  I liked that and saw no reason to change it.  Still, compared with leaving them unlabelled, I prefer the rectangle markers; I can at least find what I'm looking for.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

hotdogPi

Maine State Route 6 used to be Interstate 6. (It has been fixed after I reported the error.) However, NH 124 still goes into Massachusetts according to Google Maps - and ends at a random place (if it would continue, it would make sense to end at MA 119, but NH 124 actually ends at the border.) NH 122 goes a tiny bit into Massachusetts, according to Google Maps, and it ends at a tiny road! You can see the "122" on this tiny road!
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Eth

Quote from: 1 on August 09, 2013, 10:07:17 PM
Maine State Route 6 used to be Interstate 6. (It has been fixed after I reported the error.) However, NH 124 still goes into Massachusetts according to Google Maps - and ends at a random place (if it would continue, it would make sense to end at MA 119, but NH 124 actually ends at the border.) NH 122 goes a tiny bit into Massachusetts, according to Google Maps, and it ends at a tiny road! You can see the "122" on this tiny road!

On a similar note, it appears that Holmes (FL) CR 171 continues into Alabama concurrent with AL 103 up to Hodges Rd (the first intersection after the state line). Similarly, Geneva (AL) CR 49 continues into Florida concurrent with Holmes CR 173 to the first intersection after the state line.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this is probably a widespread phenomenon.

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

rickmastfan67

TEG24601

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 14, 2013, 12:56:19 AM
I-695 in DC is missing it's shields.

The new rendering engine is playing havoc with roads like I-695, because it is too close to other roads, so it isn't sure where exactly to put them.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 30, 2013, 05:46:44 PM
Now, not only does Google mark the TCH with the words "Route Transcanadienne" sticking out of a TCH shield, but there are also a few "Quebec Route 138" Quebec route shields: http://goo.gl/maps/V7lPI

The new engine is also auto-translating names (as the route is only labeled in English), likely due to a request by the Quebec government, and they haven't quite worked the bugs out for displaying.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 19, 2013, 05:49:16 PM

The new rendering engine is playing havoc with roads like I-695, because it is too close to other roads, so it isn't sure where exactly to put them.

I don't think that's the case here.  Even on the lowest zoom level where I-695 is mostly the only road in view, no shields are shown there.  Compared with I-395 nearby, has several on the same zoom level.

TEG24601

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 19, 2013, 09:53:13 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on August 19, 2013, 05:49:16 PM

I don't think that's the case here.  Even on the lowest zoom level where I-695 is mostly the only road in view, no shields are shown there.  Compared with I-395 nearby, has several on the same zoom level.

However, when I look to edit the road, the road says "Interstate 695", so I'm still blaming it on the new engine.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

MDOTFanFB

In Detroit, a very short section of Forest Avenue east of Woodward Avenue is now marked as a freeway.

Scratch that. As of today, it is no longer a freeway, it has reverted back to the minor street it's supposed to be marked as.

Alex4897

Google decided to label a southern Delaware back road as US Rte. 277.
👉😎👉

kphoger

Quote from: wxfree on July 31, 2013, 12:38:15 AM
Quote from: Steve on July 30, 2013, 10:57:48 PM

It's an improvement over leaving them unlabelled, but the county roads look the same as the Farm-to-Market roads, which are the "state secondary routes" in Texas.  I remember them before being labelled in text, as "County Road 123" and "Farm-To-Market 1234."  I liked that and saw no reason to change it.  Still, compared with leaving them unlabelled, I prefer the rectangle markers; I can at least find what I'm looking for.

I too liked the all-text labeling of county roads and even FM routes in Texas.  Now that they're labelled the same, though, you have no idea whether you should expect to see a route shield, a small green sign, or neither one at all.

On the other hand......we now get to see 1111 in a route shield (Sierra Blanca, TX)!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 02, 2013, 09:24:50 PM
Google decided to label a southern Delaware back road as US Rte. 277.

Too bad it's not in northern Delaware...then they could get away with saying they mixed up Newcastle, OK with New Castle, DE :pan:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rickmastfan67

Google just recently extended US-70S in TN from it's Eastern end @ US-70 in Sparta all the up TN-111 to US-70N in Cookeville.
http://goo.gl/maps/RR6IN

hotdogPi

If Google Maps was accurate:

New warning sign on MA 24 South towards exit 17:

"Warning: If using 10mi/20km scale, exit at exit 17 or you will fall off!"
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Alps

Quote from: 1 on September 09, 2013, 04:01:03 PM
If Google Maps was accurate:

New warning sign on MA 24 South towards exit 17:

"Warning: If using 10mi/20km scale, exit at exit 17 or you will fall off!"
"Or switch to Satellite View"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.