News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I have NEVER seen anything other than the ground-mounted rectangular assemblies for future interstates; do actual banners for them even exist at all?  If they did, you'd think NY would use them rather than covering up the I-86 shields in Orange County.

The only error they have with I-86 that I can see is that they haven't marked it between Elmira and the Tioga County line yet, but that's a very recent addition (NYSDOT just got FHWA approval to sign it this week).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

Quote from: vdeane on September 19, 2013, 08:31:02 PM
I have NEVER seen anything other than the ground-mounted rectangular assemblies for future interstates; do actual banners for them even exist at all?  If they did, you'd think NY would use them rather than covering up the I-86 shields in Orange County.
NC uses a couple in-between options:

Obvious drawback: the shield needs to be patched or replaced. I don't know if AASHTO would allow the former with a real Interstate shield.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

I think I saw the latter in a graphic somewhere.  Maybe I'll make a future I-99 shield for my website now, given that that style is actually used somewhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

WNYroadgeek

Hey Google, NY 36 goes nowhere near Whitney Point: http://goo.gl/maps/xV6pP

(Could be a typo for NY 26, which does run there)

hotdogPi

Google Maps still thinks US 66 exists in California.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

formulanone

I for one, am glad it's listed. If Rand McNally still cares, why not...

WNYroadgeek

...and NY 41 goes nowhere near Almond (should be 21): http://goo.gl/maps/6bSos

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

That might have happened because Google put the border a little too far south, leaving that portion of 1D in the "US".

Kacie Jane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 14, 2013, 03:24:00 PM
how many 1D fans are there?

Plenty.  Whether or not there's any overlap with the membership of this board -- or even any overlap with the sort of people who would notice that error -- is another matter entirely.

D-Dey65

I found two recently;

In Southwest and South Philadelphia, there are some street that are listed as Pennsylvania State Route 3021. I never saw that anywhere on my trip on the Route 36 Trolley in 2011.

In Coram, New York, the connecting street between NY 112 at Mill Road and NY 25 at Old Middle Country Road is incorrectly named "Grand Smith Road." For as long as I can remember it has been "Grant Smith Road."

:-o :confused:

rickmastfan67

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 24, 2013, 01:12:04 PM
In Southwest and South Philadelphia, there are some street that are listed as Pennsylvania State Route 3021. I never saw that anywhere on my trip on the Route 36 Trolley in 2011.

That's because 4-diigit routes in PA are hidden (not given normal shields) and are only shown on the little white mileage signs for state highways. (Example)

You can also see more info on how the 4-ditgit routes are assigned here.

PColumbus73

US 701 has been relabeled as '701B' through its entire route

D-Dey65

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 24, 2013, 09:00:25 PM
"This page can't be displayed."

:-(

rickmastfan67

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 30, 2013, 11:27:15 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 24, 2013, 09:00:25 PM
"This page can't be displayed."

:-(

Just tested that link, working fine here. :/

D-Dey65

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 30, 2013, 07:05:41 PM
Just tested that link, working fine here. :/
Okay, now I see it. I don't know why it wouldn't turn up before.

:confused:

CNGL-Leudimin

MI-28 has been downgraded to "County Route M-28".
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NE2

QuoteThen Google Maps was like, "turn right on Malcolm Ten Boulevard" and I knew there were no black engineers working there
http://twitter.com/alliebland/statuses/402990270402543616

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Kacie Jane

Happened to notice this only because I have a grandfather that used to live here. The private road between Pinehurst Avenue and Cabrini Boulevard in Upper Manhattan is marked as one-way the wrong direction.  (If you look at the street view of the north end, you can see a black-on-white text sign reading "One Way Do Not Enter".)

empirestate

Not a highway, but the name of Las Vegas is shown completely outside of the city limit (i.e., at The Strip). However, searching for Las Vegas still brings up and highlights the city boundary, as well as the name label outside of it!

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

NE2

Quote from: 1 on December 11, 2013, 05:09:54 PM
Which direction does this road go?
It's probably two roads drawn on top of each other.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: NE2 on December 11, 2013, 05:19:35 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 11, 2013, 05:09:54 PM
Which direction does this road go?
It's probably two roads drawn on top of each other.

Given that it's a freeway on-ramp that clearly only goes one direction, that doesn't make it any less incorrect.

(Looks like the interchange was reconstructed, and when they drew in the new ramp, they forgot to change the direction of the old pavement.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.