News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cu2010

Quote from: deanej on February 01, 2011, 02:15:29 PM
To the best of my knowledge, this road configuration never existed (and never will); here's another: http://goo.gl/maps/ksMm

The map is correct. The overhead image is an old shot; that entire intersection was reconstructed along with the new border station a few years back. 37 is no longer divided through there, and the circle replaced with the configuration shown in the map.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Central Avenue

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on February 14, 2011, 09:00:34 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.081113,-77.493739&spn=0.016613,0.027595&z=15

Dang it, Google, why did you have to go and break NY 31? I don't think it has anything to do with construction, as NYSDOT's site doesn't mention any construction on NY 31 around there. Also, it's still possible to route driving directions to use the "broken" part, like here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=NY-31+W%2FPalmyra+Rd%2FPittsford+Palmyra+Rd&daddr=NY-31+W%2FPalmyra+Rd%2FPittsford+Palmyra+Rd&geocode=FQRUkQIdprFh-w%3BFdZjkQIdqH1h-w&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&sll=43.078104,-77.486444&sspn=0.016614,0.027595&ie=UTF8&z=15

Huh, you can view Street View of the "missing" section, too.

That's weird.

(edited to add quote, so people know what I'm talking about)
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

NE2

Quote from: cu2010 on February 14, 2011, 09:22:28 PM
Quote from: deanej on February 01, 2011, 02:15:29 PM
To the best of my knowledge, this road configuration never existed (and never will); here's another: http://goo.gl/maps/ksMm

The map is correct. The overhead image is an old shot; that entire intersection was reconstructed along with the new border station a few years back. 37 is no longer divided through there, and the circle replaced with the configuration shown in the map.

http://mapq.st/g2lYg3
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cu2010

Quote from: NE2 on February 14, 2011, 10:33:23 PM

Aah, there we go.

Yes, that is the current configuration. I liked the old one better, but there was no room for the new border station in that configuration...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

NE2

Thanks to MapQuest allowing tracing of their Open Aerial tiles, which includes that imagery (I think it's NAIP), OSM now has the new layout: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.98106&lon=-74.73719&zoom=16&layers=M

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Quote from: cu2010 on February 14, 2011, 10:48:47 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 14, 2011, 10:33:23 PM

Aah, there we go.

Yes, that is the current configuration. I liked the old one better, but there was no room for the new border station in that configuration...
The Google one is still wrong, but at least it's not as bad (according to Google, the left turn from NY 37 east to the bridge cannot be made).

I'm sure the US and Canada are going to regret reconfiguring all these border stations once Obama's new border policy goes through.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bigmikelakers

I wouldn't considered this to be a highway marked incorrectly but, google maps has Interstate 15 labeled as the Mojave/Barstow Freeway as far north as the Utah stateline. To my knowledge, the Barstow Freeway section of I-15 is from the I-10 jct in Ontario to I-40 in Barstow. The Mojave freeway stretch of I-15 is from I-40 to the Nevada stateline.

vdeane

I just noticed that Google put NY 598 in Syracuse on Teall Ave instead of Midler Ave.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CL

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on February 21, 2011, 02:37:21 AM
I wouldn't considered this to be a highway marked incorrectly but, google maps has Interstate 15 labeled as the Mojave/Barstow Freeway as far north as the Utah stateline. To my knowledge, the Barstow Freeway section of I-15 is from the I-10 jct in Ontario to I-40 in Barstow. The Mojave freeway stretch of I-15 is from I-40 to the Nevada stateline.

They used to have it designated as such all the way up to the Canadian border, and I guess they only cut it back to Arizona after I reported their error. Typical.
Infrastructure. The city.

DeaconG

Why is Augusta, GA listed as "Augusta-Richmond County?" :confused:

Gee, if you're gonna go that route why don't we just add "Jacksonville-Duval County" while we're at it?

I hope I didn't give anyone at Google any ideas... :spin:
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Michael in Philly

Just discovered US 202 in King of Prussia, Pa., is marked as 202 and 206....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

dfilpus

Quote from: DeaconG on February 21, 2011, 05:06:35 PM
Why is Augusta, GA listed as "Augusta-Richmond County?" :confused:

Gee, if you're gonna go that route why don't we just add "Jacksonville-Duval County" while we're at it?

I hope I didn't give anyone at Google any ideas... :spin:
Well, Augusta-Richmond County is an official name of the consolidated city/county. It is used on the city website.
Jacksonville does not use Jacksonville-Duval County as an official name.

agentsteel53

Quote from: dfilpus on February 23, 2011, 03:57:01 PM

Well, Augusta-Richmond County is an official name of the consolidated city/county. It is used on the city website.
Jacksonville does not use Jacksonville-Duval County as an official name.

and here in Southern California we have a city called El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, but there's no way in Hell anyone would put that on a sign!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Rover_0

Also caught a US-9 and earler US-16 in Yuma, AZ.  I think that I remember a US-7 concurrent with US-93 in Nevada somewhere.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Michael in Philly on February 23, 2011, 02:31:00 PM

All of 202 south of NY 59 is marked US 202/206. Another golden nugget from Google Maps along with US 527. :roll:

Bigmikelakers

Quote from: CL on February 21, 2011, 11:55:25 AM

They used to have it designated as such all the way up to the Canadian border, and I guess they only cut it back to Arizona after I reported their error. Typical.

Ahhh, I found another one. Interstate 10 is labeled Redlands Freeway from the 215 interchange to the Arizona stateline. I never heard of the Redlands Freeway being used in any map or anything else before. New to me.

Dr Frankenstein

In the past I remember seeing QC-335 in Montréal signed with an Ontario secondary highway shield... but it's no longer the case today.

But right now, the issue is that the exit number for exit 73 on A-40 is shown as "QC-335" instead of "73".
http://maps.google.ca/?ll=45.553632,-73.62373

Michael in Philly

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on February 24, 2011, 01:29:34 AM
Quote from: CL on February 21, 2011, 11:55:25 AM

Ahhh, I found another one. Interstate 10 is labeled Redlands Freeway from the 215 interchange to the Arizona stateline. I never heard of the Redlands Freeway being used in any map or anything else before. New to me.

Actually, I have seen the Redlands Freeway designation on some commercial map or other.  Wouldn't have expected it to go all the way to Arizona, though.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

roadfro

Quote from: Rover_0 on February 23, 2011, 07:05:33 PM
I think that I remember a US-7 concurrent with US-93 in Nevada somewhere.

Google Maps must've pulled some source that made reference to the pre-1976 Nevada highway numbers. I don't remember if that error was marked as US 7 or SR 7...

Before 1976, SR 7 was legislatively designated concurrent with US 93 between I-15 and Ely.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kurumi

Quote from: Mr. Matté on February 24, 2011, 12:16:23 AM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on February 23, 2011, 02:31:00 PM

All of 202 south of NY 59 is marked US 202/206. Another golden nugget from Google Maps along with US 527. :roll:

US 206 also overlaps with 202 from Simsbury, CT to Jaffrey, NH. This is turning into quite a preponderance of evidence that a longer US 206 really exists. :-/
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

NE2

They seem to have applied many things to the entire route rather than just a portion. For example all of US 64 is the Knightdale Bypass. Most likely they use something like OSM's relations (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/421777) to store both numbers and names, and they suck worse than OSM at maintaining them properly.

Michael in Philly

So I guess the moral of all this is that paper maps aren't obsolete yet.  Which works for me.  Unfortunately, if enough of the public aren't aware of this, map publishers may still, um, stop publishing maps.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Rover_0

Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Michael

I was looking around in Street View, and noticed that NY 38 north of Auburn is labeled as "State Saint Road".  It's actually State Street Road.  I'm guessing that Google converted the "St" in the abbreviation of State St. Rd. to "saint" instead of "street".

Michael in Philly

Quote from: Michael on February 28, 2011, 04:30:20 PM
I was looking around in Street View, and noticed that NY 38 north of Auburn is labeled as "State Saint Road".  It's actually State Street Road.  I'm guessing that Google converted the "St" in the abbreviation of State St. Rd. to "saint" instead of "street".

[visits Google Maps with some trepidation]...
[comes back relieved]
At least they got Street Road and State Road, which intersect each other in suburban Philadelphia, right....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.