News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 26, 2019, 02:03:50 PM
The one K-Mart in Pinellas County (wherever it is) is supposed to be closing, along with the Sears along FL 50 in unincorporated Brooksville.

Nobody on Wikipedia has told me whether or not the K-Mart at the Astor Place Subway station is still there. Somebody at the Grand Central Information Kiosk told me there was still a K-Mart on 42nd Street near Madison Square Garden, but I never found it.

Madison Square Garden is at 34th and 7th on top of Penn Station. There is a K-Mart at 250 West 34th Street, right around the corner. If I have time, I'll take a picture next time I'm around there in the next few weeks.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sbeaver44

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 26, 2019, 09:29:21 PM
The one K-Mart in Pinellas County (wherever it is) is supposed to be closing, along with the Sears along FL 50 in unincorporated Brooksville.

Nobody on Wikipedia has told me whether or not the K-Mart at the Astor Place Subway station is still there. Somebody at the Grand Central Information Kiosk told me there was still a K-Mart on 42nd Street near Madison Square Garden, but I never found it.

Madison Square Garden is at 34th and 7th on top of Penn Station. There is a K-Mart at 250 West 34th Street, right around the corner. If I have time, I'll take a picture next time I'm around there in the next few weeks.
Yes, it is a multi level KMart accessible from both the LIRR terminal and street level.  I have a pair of Sony Headphones I bought there 9 years ago.  If/when this store closes, I'm sure they'll have no trouble filling it.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 26, 2019, 02:49:05 PM
I thought at one point there was a Kmart on 34th Street by Penn Station.
Ahh, yes 34th Street. That's what the man said. Of course I did have to take the 42nd Street Shuttle to get there and then jump on a local train along the IRT Broadway-7th Avenue Line (I was so sure it was going to be a 2 or 3 train).

Still didn't find the K-Mart though.

Max Rockatansky

I'm surprised that Sears on FL 50 lasted as long as it did, there is a Walmart and Sams Club across the highway.  I bought a stove out of that store years ago when I was living in Spring Hill.

ftballfan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 26, 2019, 11:16:42 PM

I'm surprised that Sears on FL 50 lasted as long as it did, there is a Walmart and Sams Club across the highway.  I bought a stove out of that store years ago when I was living in Spring Hill.
And Belk in the same strip mall!

In_Correct

Quote from: sbeaver44 on December 26, 2019, 10:00:09 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 26, 2019, 09:29:21 PM

Madison Square Garden is at 34th and 7th on top of Penn Station. There is a K-Mart at 250 West 34th Street, right around the corner. If I have time, I’ll take a picture next time I’m around there in the next few weeks.
Yes, it is a multi level KMart accessible from both the LIRR terminal and street level.  I have a pair of Sony Headphones I bought there 9 years ago.  If/when this store closes, I'm sure they'll have no trouble filling it.

I will not be surprised if that multi level K-Mart stays open.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

D-Dey65

Quote from: ftballfan on December 27, 2019, 10:14:14 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 26, 2019, 11:16:42 PM

And Belk in the same strip mall!
If it's not the only one left in the Tampa Bay Metro Area, it's certainly one of the few. They get a few customers, but not that many because people haven't been sure how long the store was going to last. When you're buying products that are known to have warranties that could outlast the store's existence, it doesn't provide too much consumer confidence. Also, the Wal-Mart is open 24/7, so that doesn't make things that much better for Sears.

ErmineNotyours

sparker

Now that the Die Hard battery and accessory manufacturing operation has been sold off by the Sears/Roebuck holding company, one of the main rationales for keeping K-marts (and Sears retail outlets for that matter) is disappearing -- especially if one will be able to purchase that brand from other vendors.   At a minimum, expect drastic cutbacks in the chain's automotive repair services. 

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 26, 2019, 02:49:05 PM
I thought at one point there was a Kmart on 34th Street by Penn Station.

What about the one in Minneapolis that was built in the middle of the street? I think it was Nicolet Street it just ended and picked up on both sides because Kmart was in the way.
There's two Kmart's in Manhattan.  One is located at the PABT in midtown and the other is located closer to downtown.  Idk where though.

KEVIN_224

There is no K-Mart at Port Authority. There IS a Duane Reade there. There's definitely a K-Mart at Penn Station. It has at least three levels.

Flint1979

Kmart is on 34th between 7th and 8th avenues and then the other one is on Broadway by the astor place subway station.

In_Correct

Those K-Mart locations will most likely stay open even after all the other ones closed. They even have PathMark in New York City.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

ftballfan

Quote from: In_Correct on December 29, 2019, 06:39:26 PM
Those K-Mart locations will most likely stay open even after all the other ones closed. They even have PathMark in New York City.

And those Kmarts could be sold as a going concern to a competitor

crt08

To me it seems most of them are closing as the lease renewals come due. Our Kmart and Sears were built in the 90s and both closed in the last two years at 25 and 20 years respectively. It wouldn't surprise me to see others stay open for the foreseeable future. It seems the entire idea is to milk out as much money as possible, before the plug finally gets pulled. When that will be, who knows.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: In_Correct on December 29, 2019, 06:39:26 PM
That is because the one at Penn is technically the flagship.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on December 24, 2019, 03:57:31 PM
Apparently, the only remaining Kmart in the Triangle metro in NC on Six Forks Rd in Raleigh will close in February. That will leave the store in Kill Devil Hills as the only Kmart in NC.

Not for long, apparently. They just announced that the Kill Devil Hills store will close in April.

https://obxtoday.com/top-stories/outer-banks-kmart-store-last-in-north-carolina-will-close-this-spring/
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

thenetwork

Quote from: LM117 on February 06, 2020, 07:34:08 AM
Quote from: LM117 on December 24, 2019, 03:57:31 PM
Apparently, the only remaining Kmart in the Triangle metro in NC on Six Forks Rd in Raleigh will close in February. That will leave the store in Kill Devil Hills as the only Kmart in NC.

Not for long, apparently. They just announced that the Kill Devil Hills store will close in April.

https://obxtoday.com/top-stories/outer-banks-kmart-store-last-in-north-carolina-will-close-this-spring/

And as they say in the Garden State, these 3 stores are also gonna get whacked:  the Kmart stores in West Long Branch and the Sears stores in Moorestown and Woodbridge,

Mr. Matté

Quote from: thenetwork on February 06, 2020, 09:41:05 AM
And as they say in the Garden State, these 3 stores are also gonna get whacked:  the Kmart stores in West Long Branch and the Sears stores in Moorestown and Woodbridge,

The Sears in New Brunswick is also closing so RIP cheap Rutgers students (since their parking lot is right next to Cook Campus)

https://www.nj.com/business/2020/02/sears-will-close-stores-in-livingston-and-new-brunswick.html

TheStranger

Sears in San Bruno at Tanforan Mall (near SFO and I-380) finally closed a few days ago.
Chris Sampang

kevinb1994

I will always recall being unimpressed by the New Brunswick location in particular. It's not far from where I was born over on the other side of the city.

Great Lakes Roads

The Sears at the Tucson Mall will be closing in April 2020. This is also the last Sears in the Tucson area as Kmart closed back in 2018.

US71

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 06, 2020, 05:48:08 PM
The Sears at the Tucson Mall will be closing in April 2020. This is also the last Sears in the Tucson area as Kmart closed back in 2018.

Springfield, Missouri is closing. Probably one the last stores in Missouri.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Life in Paradise

I think with Sears and Kmart, we are to the point that they should just list the stores that are going to remain open, and if your store is not listed, it's either closed or in the process.  It's hard to believe some people in the business world have thought that these stores will come out of this.  This has been a 40 year process of decay, accelerated in the past 25 years.

Brandon

Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 07, 2020, 12:39:18 PM
I think with Sears and Kmart, we are to the point that they should just list the stores that are going to remain open, and if your store is not listed, it's either closed or in the process.  It's hard to believe some people in the business world have thought that these stores will come out of this.  This has been a 40 year process of decay, accelerated in the past 25 years.

They might have, but for one major thing: Eddie Lampert.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.