News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-57 in Chicago

Started by CapeCodder, November 21, 2016, 09:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribar

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on August 09, 2017, 01:15:58 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 25, 2016, 09:27:57 AM
Quote from: ILRoad55 on November 25, 2016, 12:01:40 AM
For me I will always remember 355 as the North-South Tollway. Occasionally I'll call it the Veterans

I-355 is strange in that I've heard it sometimes be referred to as 355 not only on its entire stretch but sometimes on the 290 stretch through Itasca. I'll save my thoughts on what should be done with the numbering for the fictional threads.

Getting back to I-57, in general, it really is kind of a "forgotten" expressway in many circles around here. Normally, traffic reports simply say I-57, but it gets little mention. Unless you live in the South Suburbs or go to U of I, it's not one on too many people's minds here. My thought, though, is why isn't it six lanes at least to Sauk Trail (maybe even a bit further)? I feel that the traffic it gets warrants at least this many lanes down to there.
just wait for 53 to be build to see some realy odd numbering. The main line has like different numbers end to end right now. What will they do add TOLL US-12 to the mix? and maybe TOLL IL-120

I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think that will ever be built.

mrsman

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 09, 2017, 11:15:26 AM
It's actually called the Dan Ryan West Leg but I never hear it called anything but I-57 in traffic reports.
IMO, it would be fitting to name the road after Obama.  Not to say one thing or another on his politics, but he is a president from the Chicago area so something should be named for him.  As I-57 is the only roadway in the area without a more prominent proper name, it is a good candidate for the Obama Expy.

ilpt4u

Quote from: mrsman on November 22, 2017, 04:44:27 PM
IMO, it would be fitting to name the road after Obama.  Not to say one thing or another on his politics, but he is a president from the Chicago area so something should be named for him.  As I-57 is the only roadway in the area without a more prominent proper name, it is a good candidate for the Obama Expy.
One could argue that the Tri-State could use a new name, or there is also the new IL 390/Elgin-O'Hare Expressway

I would be more in favor of I-57, tho. It doesn't get all the way up to the Hyde Park area, but it does feed up towards that way into the Dan Ryan, and that is President Obama's neighborhood

inkyatari

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 22, 2017, 05:19:58 PM
One could argue that the Tri-State could use a new name, or there is also the new IL 390/Elgin-O'Hare Expressway

I would be more in favor of I-57, tho. It doesn't get all the way up to the Hyde Park area, but it does feed up towards that way into the Dan Ryan, and that is President Obama's neighborhood

I thought I heard that a portion of I-55 near Dwight, of all places, was to be named for Obama.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

leroy217

"-355 is strange in that I've heard it sometimes be referred to as 355 not only on its entire stretch but sometimes on the 290 stretch through Itasca. I'll save my thoughts on what should be done with the numbering for the fictional threads."

I-355 should really be labeled as I-380, since its parent route is I-80.  The I-355 designation was rushed prior to the southern section being completed.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

inkyatari

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 08, 2018, 06:32:13 PM
Nah, I-355 is fine

Now if we could only get an I-X57 designation in IL...

ilpt4u

Quote from: inkyatari on January 08, 2018, 08:31:05 PM
Nah, I-355 is fine

Well I don't see a Champaign/Urbana, Effingham, Mt Vernon, or Marion/Carbondale Beltway anytime soon

Pretty sure IL 13 has the capacity to feed SIU traffic in Carbondale from I-57 and doesn't need the Interstate upgrade, but if one wanted an Interstate Freeway, would rather see I-24 then to STL vs an (odd)57

And same with IL 16 going to EIU in Charleston - doesn't really justfy Interstate upgrade for an (odd)57

Fantasyland...eliminate I-294 and make the entire Tri-State I-94. Continue I-57 into Downtown on the Dan Ryan and JFK, north onto the Edens, up to the Tri-State. Bishop Ford Freeway can be an (odd)57, including the Stub end currently numbered IL 394

I would see Arkansas getting an x57 before Illinois

Quote from: leroy217 on January 08, 2018, 04:47:54 PM
I-355 should really be labeled as I-380, since its parent route is I-80.
It started as a spur off I-55. The extension to I-80 came later. Of course, it was supposedly recommended to be I-455 as a Beltway, but ISTHA felt 355 was more appropriate as a Spur

That said, is I-355 unique, as an (odd)di, now connecting to its Parent at a midpoint, not an endpoint? IL 390 does this too, but (as of yet) is not an Interstate designation...I guess I-580 in the Bay Area is concurrent with I-80 along part of its route, and exists on both sides of I-80

inkyatari

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 08, 2018, 08:58:36 PM
Nah, I-355 is fine

Well I don't see a Champaign/Urbana, Effingham, Mt Vernon, or Marion/Carbondale Beltway anytime soon

My thought was if the Illiana ever gets built numbering it 357, just because it's a cool number.

kphoger

Nah, I-355 is fine

Pretty sure IL 13 has the capacity to feed SIU traffic in Carbondale from I-57 and doesn't need the Interstate upgrade, but if one wanted an Interstate Freeway, would rather see I-24 then to STL vs an (odd)57

Traffic is much thicker between Marion and Carbondale than between Carbondale and anywhere northwest of it.  IL-13 along there has also been known to have some nasty accidents.  I remember one in particular, where a trucker was turning left from Cambria Road to go east on IL-13, and he had to wait in the median to complete the maneuver.  His back end (the truck, not the driver) was hanging out into the westbound lanes, and another driver "thought she had plenty of time" so didn't even slow down before running into the trailer.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2018, 01:55:41 PM
Nah, I-355 is fine

Traffic is much thicker between Marion and Carbondale than between Carbondale and anywhere northwest of it.  IL-13 along there has also been known to have some nasty accidents.  I remember one in particular, where a trucker was turning left from Cambria Road to go east on IL-13, and he had to wait in the median to complete the maneuver.  His back end (the truck, not the driver) was hanging out into the westbound lanes, and another driver "thought she had plenty of time" so didn't even slow down before running into the trailer.
Speaking of Marion I think that's the city with the strange city limits. Most of the city is in one area and then going southeast it follows a narrow line for several miles to the other side of Creal Springs. I have never seen a city's city limits drawn like that.

inkyatari

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 09, 2018, 02:37:48 PM

Speaking of Marion I think that's the city with the strange city limits. Most of the city is in one area and then going southeast it follows a narrow line for several miles to the other side of Creal Springs. I have never seen a city's city limits drawn like that.

:wow: :wow: :wow:

That's like the gerrymandered districts in Chicago!

https://goo.gl/maps/KmBmct7m2ZB2

Flint1979

Quote from: inkyatari on January 09, 2018, 02:40:42 PM

I didn't even have to look it up and I knew that was the same city.

kphoger

Except that all it seems to do is connect the main town with a bunch of undeveloped land around Sugar Creek.  I have no idea what's up with that.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

inkyatari

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2018, 03:14:50 PM

Except that all it seems to do is connect the main town with a bunch of undeveloped land around Sugar Creek.  I have no idea what's up with that.

From what little I've been able to gather is either a real estate development, or a drinking water reservoir.

Flint1979

That's what I was wondering. What is the point in that land being a part of the city of Marion? The rest of Marion is several miles north and it's only connected to that by an extremely narrow piece of land. It's sort of like Chicago being connected to O'Hare but at least with O'Hare there is something there.

Flint1979

Quote from: inkyatari on January 09, 2018, 03:42:14 PM

From what little I've been able to gather is either a real estate development, or a drinking water reservoir.
Looking at the one street on there from StreetView it looks like a ghost town in that area.

SEWIGuy

The City of Marion purchased all the land around there to dam up the Creek for a new water reservoir.  The permit was eventually denied but they are still holding all of the land.

https://www.fws.gov/FieldNotes/regmap.cfm?arskey=21944

http://www.carbondaletimes.com/news/20171229/marion-wraps-up-purchase-of-sugar-creek-started-in-1990s

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 09, 2018, 04:00:41 PM

The City of Marion purchased all the land around there to dam up the Creek for a new water reservoir.  The permit was eventually denied but they are still holding all of the land.

https://www.fws.gov/FieldNotes/regmap.cfm?arskey=21944

http://www.carbondaletimes.com/news/20171229/marion-wraps-up-purchase-of-sugar-creek-started-in-1990s

I was about to reply that the drinking water around there comes from Rend Lake, but then I saw your post.  Glad we got that settled!
Male pronouns, please.

storm2k

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 09, 2017, 11:15:26 AM
It's actually called the Dan Ryan West Leg but I never hear it called anything but I-57 in traffic reports.

It'll have to be the Obama Freeway. Not MUTCD-compliant to name them expressways anymore.

Flint1979

Also there isn't any place in this country including Chicago that needs to have anything named after Obama.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 09, 2018, 05:07:57 PM
Also there isn't any place in this country including Chicago that needs to have anything named after Obama.

Why not? Pretty much every former president has several roads, in some cases freeways or major arterials, named after them.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on January 09, 2018, 06:28:17 PM

Why not? Pretty much every former president has several roads, in some cases freeways or major arterials, named after them.

Because politics.  Don't egg on that sort of conversation.
Male pronouns, please.

sparker

Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2018, 01:01:01 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 09, 2018, 06:28:17 PM

Because politics.  Don't egg on that sort of conversation.

Well, even if Chicago takes a pass on the Obama designation, he just got a section of CA 134, between CA 2 and I-210 (aka the Ventura Freeway) named after him, considered geographically appropriate since he did his first two undergraduate years at Occidental College in Eagle Rock, just south of that stretch of freeway.   

Finrod

Quote from: inkyatari on January 09, 2018, 08:56:21 AM
My thought was if the Illiana ever gets built numbering it 357, just because it's a cool number.

I like it, but I can see Team Blue anti-gun types in Illinois throwing a conniption fit over the number thanks to the .357 Magnum.

I also like the idea of making US 30 across northern Indiana into I-76, then just continuing the I-76 number onto the Illiana.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.