News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

E-ZPass Scam May Affect Thousands Of Drivers

Started by ZLoth, January 18, 2014, 05:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From CBS New York:

Seen At 11: E-ZPass Scam May Affect Thousands Of Drivers
Thieves Target Drivers, Leaving Them With Bills For Tolls On Roads They Didn't Take
QuoteImagine receiving a bill for hundreds of dollars in fines for tolls you never actually drove through.

As CBS 2′s Dick Brennan reported Friday, thieves are targeting E-ZPass customers in a new scam that may impact thousands of drivers.

Millions of drivers use E-ZPass because it's cheaper and fast. But this popular convenience caused Debbi and Mark Vonberg a major inconvenience when they received fines in the mail.

The couple said they recently received 11 tickets for running E-ZPass tolls on the New Jersey Turnpike. Tickets with fines totaling more than $600, Brennan reported.
Only, the Vonbergs say they never drove on the Turnpike, and the pictures on the citations showed a vehicle they don't own.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Mr_Northside

Hmm....  After reading the article, it doesn't sound like an "E-ZPass" scam at all.
It sounds like a scam where people forge temporary tags so someone else gets the bill, which sounds like it could happen to someone whether or not they use/have E-ZPass or not, and that the only role E-ZPass has in this whole thing is that it administers the fine to the owner of the original non-forged tag.

At least, that's how that story came across to me.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jeffandnicole

For those unfamiliar with NJ Temporary Tags: Previously, the temp tag was, for the most part, an untrackable number on a placard that was placed in the back window. (The placard used to have sticker stripes on it, but they were so sticky they would leave a sticky residue on the back window.  Because of that, most car dealers would just use tape to stick it to the back window.  And because of that, NJ said "Well, why the hell are we paying the expense of putting the sticky residue on these things if no one is using it", so they removed it.)

For the past year, NJ has been using license plate sized temp tags that are placed in the license plate area on the rear of the vehicle; these are trackable...which is how this story was able to occur.

I won't be surprised if this person now has some outstanding parking tickets, red light camera tickets, etc.

I'm not sure if it was a "major inconvenience" or more a "major issue that they need to get resolved".  It doesn't sound like EZ Pass gave them too much trouble in removing the tolls and penalties (they are not tickets).

Duke87

The solution should be simple: when a temporary tag is turned in, mark the number as invalid in the system. Then if it shows up anywhere, you know instantly that it's being used illegitimately.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

At least that can't happen in NY.  We don't use temporary tags.  Perhaps NJDMV should switch to in-transit permits.

I don't see what this story has to do with E-ZPass other than the example involving toll gate running.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Temp tags?  As far as I've seen, ISTHA doesn't go for that.  You need the full I-Pass transponder to have access to the system, and you can only get it from ISTHA (mail or service center) or at a Jewel-Osco, and they want your vehicle information when they sell it to you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

These are violation notices the people are receiving... not extra toll gates appearing on their monthly statement.  The temp tag refers to the license plates on the car.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ZLoth

Isn't this the same NJ that believes that everyone had short non-hyphenated names?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

NJRoadfan

The joke is on them. They didn't have to turn in the temporary tag as they expire after 30 days. Its likely someone at the dealership took it and threw it on a random car. I've always shredded temp tags after I got the plates.

I'm actually surprised they even read the temporary tags and send violations. Its a completely different system from the standard MVC registrations.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 28, 2014, 06:36:56 PM
The joke is on them. They didn't have to turn in the temporary tag as they expire after 30 days. Its likely someone at the dealership took it and threw it on a random car. I've always shredded temp tags after I got the plates.

I'm actually surprised they even read the temporary tags and send violations. Its a completely different system from the standard MVC registrations.
My temporary tags go in my trunk until I remember they're back there months later.

signalman

Quote from: Alps on January 28, 2014, 11:48:48 PM

My temporary tags go in my trunk until I remember they're back there months later.
Send temps my way.  I collect them, as well as real plates    :D

jeffandnicole

I think that's some of the purpose of the new temp tags.  The old tags allowed people to go thru the lanes scott free, because not only were they high in the rear windshield (and many times invisible thru the tinted glass), but there was no tracking system.

Now, to expand on that:  If they can't be tracked, someone illegally parked would be able to escape paying a ticket, because the registration number meant nothing.  I'm sure there were plenty more reasons behind the new temp tags.  But I'm sure the reality was that numerous people were cheating the EZ Pass system when they had a new car, and this helps curtail that issue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.