News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Number of Major Cities that Major US Highways Pass Through

Started by Zeffy, October 08, 2014, 11:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

For example, US 1 hits a shitload of major cities along the east coast, starting with:

ME: Brunswick, Portland
NH: Portsmouth
MA: Boston
RI:  Providence
CT: New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford
NY: Bronx, Manhattan
NJ: Jersey City, Newark, Woodbridge (Township), New Brunswick, Trenton
PA: Philadelphia
MD: Baltimore
DC: Washington
VA: Richmond
NC: Raleigh
SC: Columbia
GA: Augusta
FL: Jacksonville, Port St Lucie, Miami

So, US 1 hits 24 major cities along it's entire length. It hits the most in New Jersey with 5. Do any other major US Highways pass through a close number of major cities within states?

FYI: My definition of "major city" is a city that is more important to your state than others. Most of the time, these are the cities mentioned by the state as their "core" cities. Feel free to post it anyway if you are unsure.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

adventurernumber1

Since it's my avatar, I'll start with US 76. Really not much at all, lol.

Tennessee: Chattanooga
Georgia: no large cities
South Carolina: Columbia
North Carolina: Wilmington
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Kacie Jane

I feel like this is going to be impossible without a better, less subjective definition of major cities. For instance, if I were making the list, I'd definitely include a couple of Florida cities that are definitely more major than Woodbridge (Daytona for example???), and recognize that by any definition, Bronx and Manhattan are not separate cities.

pianocello

I'll go with the US Route I'm most familiar with, US 6.

CA: Formerly Los Angeles and Long Beach, but not anymore
NV: really nothing
UT: Provo's southern suburbs
CO: Denver
NE: Lincoln, Omaha
IA: Des Moines, Iowa City, Davenport
IL: Chicago's southern suburbs
IN: NW Indiana (should probably be considered part of Chicago's southern suburbs)
OH: Cleveland
PA: Scranton
NY: Not much of anything
CT: Danbury, Hartford
RI: Providence
MA: Fall River

That's between 13 and 15, depending on how you look at it. For a cross-country route, it doesn't hit much of anything.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

golden eagle

I-10: Los Angeles, Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans and Jacksonville.

Zeffy

Quote from: Kacie Jane on October 09, 2014, 12:28:03 AM
I feel like this is going to be impossible without a better, less subjective definition of major cities. For instance, if I were making the list, I'd definitely include a couple of Florida cities that are definitely more major than Woodbridge (Daytona for example???), and recognize that by any definition, Bronx and Manhattan are not separate cities.

Maybe an easier way to put it is cities with a population of at least 70k? Major Cities IMO are ones that you generally know by name when referring to the state in question. Except with this criteria, New Brunswick isn't considered a major city since it only has 55k people, but I still think it's major (as it hosts the de-facto state college of New Jersey). That's why I'm reluctant to use a population size as an indicator. That's why I opted for the posting of cities that people think are major in their respective states.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

Quote from: Zeffy on October 09, 2014, 10:35:08 AM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on October 09, 2014, 12:28:03 AM

Maybe an easier way to put it is cities with a population of at least 70k? Major Cities IMO are ones that you generally know by name when referring to the state in question. Except with this criteria, New Brunswick isn't considered a major city since it only has 55k people, but I still think it's major (as it hosts the de-facto state college of New Jersey). That's why I'm reluctant to use a population size as an indicator. That's why I opted for the posting of cities that people think are major in their respective states.

Exactly.  What defines a "major city" varies from state to state, and from area to area.  Marquette is a major city in Michigan's UP despite only having a population of 21k.  Livonia, next to Detroit, has a population four times that amount, but is not a major city as it is merely part of a larger metro area.

A cutoff of 70k leaves out every city in West Virginia, Wyoming, Maine, and Vermont.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Zeffy

Quote from: Brandon on October 09, 2014, 10:45:22 AM
Exactly.  What defines a "major city" varies from state to state, and from area to area.  Marquette is a major city in Michigan's UP despite only having a population of 21k.  Livonia, next to Detroit, has a population four times that amount, but is not a major city as it is merely part of a larger metro area.

A cutoff of 70k leaves out every city in West Virginia, Wyoming, Maine, and Vermont.

I leave it to the opinion of the poster on their definition of whether or not a city is major enough. My criteria I used was:

* State Capitals (obviously)
* Major state college towns (I.E. New Brunswick and Rutgers)
* Heavily developed city (in comparison to others in the state)

The criteria is vague, but that's why I've left it up to the poster on whether or not they want to list it. Pianocello's list is a good example of what I'm looking for.

JakeFromNewEngland

US 3
MA: Cambridge
NH: Nashua, Manchester, Concord

US 5
CT: New Haven, Hartford
MA: Springfield
VT: Not really any major US cities, however many cities can be considered "large" on a Vermont scale. These cities I would count as Brattleboro, White River JCT. (Hartford), and St. Johnsbury.

US 44
NY: Poughkeepsie
CT: Hartford
MA: On a historical scale, US 44 ends in Plymouth, MA.

US 7
CT: Norwalk, Danbury
MA: Pittsfield
VT: Rutland, Burlington

Zeffy

US 30:

NJ: Atlantic City, Camden
PA: Philadelphia, Lancaster, York, Gettysburg, Pittsburgh
WV: <nothing qualified as major>
OH: Canton, Mansfield*
IN: Fort Wayne
IL: Joliet
IA: Cedar Rapids
NE: <nothing qualified as major>*
WY: Cheyenne
ID: Twin Falls, Boise
OR: Portland, Astoria

* Means that I wasn't sure on whether or not it should be listed

hotdogPi

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on October 09, 2014, 06:05:34 PM
US 3
MA: Cambridge
NH: Nashua, Manchester, Concord

US 5
CT: New Haven, Hartford
MA: Springfield
VT: Not really any major US cities, however many cities can be considered "large" on a Vermont scale. These cities I would count as Brattleboro, White River JCT. (Hartford), and St. Johnsbury.

US 44
NY: Poughkeepsie
CT: Hartford
MA: On a historical scale, US 44 ends in Plymouth, MA.

US 7
CT: Norwalk, Danbury
MA: Pittsfield
VT: Rutland, Burlington

I would also include Lowell MA for US 3.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: hbelkins on October 09, 2014, 07:14:36 PM
Why is Port St. Lucie a major city for US 1?

PSL has roughly 170k people, and it's a growing city in FL. But agreeing with someone else, for US 1 in FL, I would have put Daytona Beach as well. I would have also added Ft. Lauderdale (even though it's in the Miami Metropolitan Area, it's still a pretty large city), and possibly even Titusville.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Charles2

U.S. 11

Louisiana: Slidell
Mississippi: Hattiesburg, Meridian
Alabama: Tuscaloosa, Birmingham (bypasses Gadsden)
Georgia: Nothing
Tennessee: Chattanooga, Knoxville, Bristol
Virginia: Roanoke
West Virginia: Martinsburg
Maryland: Hagerstown
Pennsylvania: Harrisburg, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton
New York: Binghamton, Syracuse

US 31

Alabama: Montgomery, Hoover, Birmingham
Tennessee: Nashville
Kentucky: Bowling Green, Louisville
Indiana: Jeffersonville, Indianapolis, West Lafayette, Gary

DTComposer

(cities in italics may not qualify as major, depending on your criteria, but all do have significant regional importance.)

US-101
Los Angeles
Oxnard
Ventura
Santa Barbara
Santa Maria
San Luis Obispo
Salinas
San Jose
San Francisco
Santa Rosa
Eureka
Coos Bay
Astoria
Aberdeen
Port Angeles
Olympia

One could argue that there's only three major cities on this list (Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose), which might make US-101 a candidate for fewest major cities per mile?

GaryV

Quote from: Charles2 on October 09, 2014, 09:25:20 PM
US 31

I presume you meant South Bend.

Why not include Benton Harbor/St Joe, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon and Traverse City?

hotdogPi

Quote from: DTComposer on October 09, 2014, 11:25:13 PM
One could argue that there's only three major cities on this list (Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose), which might make US-101 a candidate for fewest major cities per mile?

US 2.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

roadman65

US 1 should include Edison for New Jersey as it is the fourth largest city in NJ. 

West Palm Beach, FL is very large and notable I might add.

Daytona Beach has the famous speedway.

Petersburg/ Colonial Heights needs mentioning for Virginia for sure.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

adventurernumber1

Quote from: GaryV on October 10, 2014, 07:54:06 AM
Quote from: Charles2 on October 09, 2014, 09:25:20 PM
US 31

I presume you meant South Bend.

Why not include Benton Harbor/St Joe, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon and Traverse City?

I think he mightve gotten mixed up and thought US 31 ended in Gary, as well as I-65 does. But US 31 does end its time being parallel to I-65 in Indianapolis, then goes north into northern Indiana, then into Michigan.

roadman65

If I made the assumption that US 31 ended in Gary some on here would have a field day with me lol!

Anyway yes I have to agree with this.  He obviously thought US 31 and I-65 are always joined at the hip.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2014, 08:29:15 AM
US 1 should include Edison for New Jersey as it is the fourth largest city in NJ.

I vote no.  Both Woodbridge and Edison are large townships, not cities.  They are a) characteristically different from cities, and b) not generally considered "major" by anyone not in their immediate area, at least in part because of a). 

Also, not to nitpick (as I proceed to anyway), but Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, and Elizabeth are all bigger than either.   

bassoon1986

I put iffy ones with question marks. Tell me what you think. I feel like it's hard to not be biased with your home state. Some of the Louisiana ones I know aren't as big as cities in other states, but maybe in my mind it's because Louisiana has a decent amount of destinations on BGS's.

US 90:

Texas: San Antonio, Houston, Beaumont
Louisiana: Lake Charles, Lafayette, (Morgan City? or previously Houma?), New Orleans
Mississippi: Gulfport
Alabama: Mobile
Florida: Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville

US 80

Texas: Dallas, Longview?
Louisiana: Shreveport, Monroe
Mississippi: Vicksburg?, Jackson, Meridian
Alabama: Montgomery
Georgia: Columbus, Macon, Savannah

Historic 80:
Texas: also Abilene, El Paso
New Mexico: Las Cruces?
Arizona: Tucson, Yuma?
California: San Diego

pianocello

Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 10, 2014, 11:09:56 AM
Historic 80:

Nit-picking here, but didn't US 80 go through Phoenix at one point?

And to actually contribute something to the thread, I'll do US 27 (historic in parenthesis):

MI: (Lansing)
IN: Fort Wayne
OH: Cincinnati
KY: Lexington
TN: Chattanooga
GA: Columbus
FL: Tallahassee, Disney area, Miami
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

TheStranger

Quote from: pianocello on October 10, 2014, 02:03:45 PM
Historic 80:

Indeed (it was AZ 84 that I-8 followed east from Gila Bend to Casa Grande, while US 80 followed today's AZ 85 north, then what later became (but no longer is) the east-west section of AZ 85 from Buckeye to Phoenix).
Chris Sampang

bassoon1986

Quote from: TheStranger on October 10, 2014, 02:25:16 PM
Quote from: pianocello on October 10, 2014, 02:03:45 PM
Historic 80:

Indeed (it was AZ 84 that I-8 followed east from Gila Bend to Casa Grande, while US 80 followed today's AZ 85 north, then what later became (but no longer is) the east-west section of AZ 85 from Buckeye to Phoenix).

Yes! Thanks for that correction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.