News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The most infuriating roads in your state (or area)

Started by Zeffy, July 07, 2015, 07:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wphiii

Rothman

Quote from: wphiii on July 08, 2015, 11:30:11 AM
Anything involving a tunnel.

How's that?

Personally, I think coming into Pittsburgh through the Fort Pitt Tunnel is one of the greatest entries into a city in the world.

(Of course, hitting the clogged I-279/I-376 interchange shortly thereafter...not that great :D)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dr Frankenstein

In Québec, R-132 was infuriating between Châteauguay and Valleyfield before the completion of A-30. While full-blown jams/backups were unusual, traffic was well below the speed limit throughout the day, especially during rush hour (60-70 in 90 km/h was considered so normal that some motorists drove at that speed regardless of the traffic). Going through at the third green or queuing up for 2-3 minutes at a stop werea very usual occurences during rush hour near the end.

R-125 in the Sainte-Julienne/Rawdon area seems to back up pretty frequently and has no practical alternative, especially during summer weekends. A-25 could use an extension around that.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Rothman on July 08, 2015, 11:38:11 AM
Quote from: wphiii on July 08, 2015, 11:30:11 AM
Anything involving a tunnel.

How's that?

Personally, I think coming into Pittsburgh through the Fort Pitt Tunnel is one of the greatest entries into a city in the world.

(Of course, hitting the clogged I-279/I-376 interchange shortly thereafter...not that great :D)

It can be one of the greatest entries into a city.... But it's not really the I-279/376 interchange that gets *that* clogged, it's the tunnels themselves (and the goofy Banksville Rd / Saw Mill Run Blvd interchanges right before them) that cause the clogging (just like their Squirrel Hill counterparts) - Or better put, it's some drivers that feel the need to really slow down.
If sitting in the queue to get thru the Ft. Pitt tunnels is part of your daily grind, it can be quite infuriating - despite the view at the end.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

6a

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on July 07, 2015, 12:46:05 PM
US-23 between OH-229 and Columbus, OH.  Absolutely hate to drive that stretch if there is any traffic at all.  If I have to go that way, I try to go through Columbus after 10:00 pm.
Take 315 :)

Personally I hate the I-70/71 bit through downtown Columbus. All the weaving and general idiocy displayed in a one mile stretch, ugh.

vtk

Quote from: 6a on July 08, 2015, 07:02:25 PM

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on July 07, 2015, 12:46:05 PM
US-23 between OH-229 and Columbus, OH.  Absolutely hate to drive that stretch if there is any traffic at all.  If I have to go that way, I try to go through Columbus after 10:00 pm.

I like the temporary signs that give travel time on 23 vs 315. 315 is always faster; sometimes by two minutes, sometimes by more than ten.  I have serious doubts that the North Side Fix (ostensibly the reason for those signs) has anything to do with why 23 is slower, or that 23 will become the faster route when that project is done.

Another sensible way around, particularly if destination is on the west side of Columbus, is to take 42 to 33. But 42 can be rather frustrating during the day, with no opportunities for miles to pass slower traffic.

And none of these alternate routes address the annoying part of 23 north of Delaware. Admittedly, it's not as bad as south of Delaware, but the expressway doesn't start until OH 229, which means no 65MPH for you. And there's that mile just north of Delaware where the limit is only 45 MPH... this is not satisfactory on the main highway between Columbus and Toledo/Detroit.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

KG909

CA 91. 3 lanes and in constant construction in Riverside.
~Fuccboi

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: vtk on July 09, 2015, 12:37:40 AM

I like the temporary signs that give travel time on 23 vs 315. 315 is always faster; sometimes by two minutes, sometimes by more than ten.  I have serious doubts that the North Side Fix (ostensibly the reason for those signs) has anything to do with why 23 is slower, or that 23 will become the faster route when that project is done.

Another sensible way around, particularly if destination is on the west side of Columbus, is to take 42 to 33. But 42 can be rather frustrating during the day, with no opportunities for miles to pass slower traffic.

And none of these alternate routes address the annoying part of 23 north of Delaware. Admittedly, it's not as bad as south of Delaware, but the expressway doesn't start until OH 229, which means no 65MPH for you. And there's that mile just north of Delaware where the limit is only 45 MPH… this is not satisfactory on the main highway between Columbus and Toledo/Detroit.

I travel to Parkersburg from Michigan and back frequently, and the quickest way is south to Columbus, then US-33 east to US-50 east.  Is 315 really going to save me much time?  I usually take I-71 south through town to I-70 east to US-33.  During heavy traffic, I will take US-42 east to I-71.  During light traffic, I take US-23 to I270 east to I-71.  Is there any other way around Columbus that could shave off some time?  Any other route I've tried that doesn't include Columbus adds 30 minutes minimum to my trip (Toll Road to US-250, US-30 to US-250, etc.).

Brandon

Name the Chicago expressway or tollway at rush hour, and I'll name you an infuriating road around here.  :-D

Seriously though, outside of that, we have...

* IL-59, miles upon miles of unsynchronized signals from I-55 north to US-12.
* The Eisenhower Expressway through the Avenues and Oak Park with the merging from the Hillside Strangler through the asinine left exits at Harlem and Austin.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DeaconG

On the Space Coast:

If I was forced to actually choose between the following three roads:

Wickham Road
Palm Bay Road
New Haven Avenue (US 192)

I think I'd give the nod to New Haven because of the retail buildup on both sides of the road as well as Melbourne Square Mall, although Palm Bay Road at 3 PM is not for the faint of heart and the intersection with Minton Road and Emerson Drive is horrendous. Wickham Road...(throws hands up in despair)

Also, SR 520 (West King Street) between Clearlake Road in Cocoa and the Banana River is a PITA.

At least they're finally four-laning Barnes Blvd between I-95 and US 1, though I think it will be overloaded a day after the completion of that project, but it's still a good thing.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Takumi

In the Richmond area, I always have an issue on the I-95/64 concurrency north of downtown, and always in exactly the same spot, the overpass between exits 76 and 78, no matter if there's construction going on or not. Second place goes to VA 288 south/east of US 360 with its aging concrete.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

6a

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on July 09, 2015, 01:36:46 PM

And none of these alternate routes address the annoying part of 23 north of Delaware. Admittedly, it's not as bad as south of Delaware, but the expressway doesn't start until OH 229, which means no 65MPH for you. And there's that mile just north of Delaware where the limit is only 45 MPH… this is not satisfactory on the main highway between Columbus and Toledo/Detroit.

I travel to Parkersburg from Michigan and back frequently, and the quickest way is south to Columbus, then US-33 east to US-50 east.  Is 315 really going to save me much time?  I usually take I-71 south through town to I-70 east to US-33.  During heavy traffic, I will take US-42 east to I-71.  During light traffic, I take US-23 to I270 east to I-71.  Is there any other way around Columbus that could shave off some time?  Any other route I've tried that doesn't include Columbus adds 30 minutes minimum to my trip (Toll Road to US-250, US-30 to US-250, etc.).

Like vtk said, 315 is almost always faster than 23, starting at its northern end south of Delaware. It also serves as the less traveled counterpart to 71 once you're inside 270 and connects to 70/71 just west of downtown. From Delaware to 270 it's a two lane road but there are no lights that I can think of (oh wait, 750 has a light but no biggie) and once you hit 270 it's six lanes almost the whole way to 71.  Edit: you can also follow 71 south (from 315 it's a straight shot) to the Frank Road/104 exit, follow 104 N (east) to 33. Another forgotten Columbus freeway.

I'd estimate time saved during light traffic, between the lights on 23 and the tomfoolery on 71 near downtown to be 5-10 minutes. During heavy traffic, I'd not be shocked to hear that route saving a half hour.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: 6a on July 09, 2015, 05:06:29 PM

And none of these alternate routes address the annoying part of 23 north of Delaware. Admittedly, it's not as bad as south of Delaware, but the expressway doesn't start until OH 229, which means no 65MPH for you. And there's that mile just north of Delaware where the limit is only 45 MPH... this is not satisfactory on the main highway between Columbus and Toledo/Detroit.

Like vtk said, 315 is almost always faster than 23, starting at its northern end south of Delaware. It also serves as the less traveled counterpart to 71 once you're inside 270 and connects to 70/71 just west of downtown. From Delaware to 270 it's a two lane road but there are no lights (that I can think of - oh wait, 750 has a light but no biggie) and once you hit 270 it's six lanes almost the whole way to 71.  Edit: you can also follow 71 south (from 315 it's a straight shot) to the Frank Road/104 exit, follow 104 N (east) to 33. Another forgotten Columbus freeway.

I'd estimate time saved during light traffic, between the lights on 23 and the tomfoolery on 71 near downtown to be 5-10 minutes. During heavy traffic, I'd not be shocked to hear that route saving a half hour.

There are a few traffic lights between 270 and 750 actually, but after 750 there aren't lights
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

6a

Oh crap, I forgot about the Hard Rd area...still isn't as bad as 23 though :)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: 6a on July 09, 2015, 05:15:37 PM
Oh crap, I forgot about the Hard Rd area...still isn't as bad as 23 though :)

After 750 it is a rural road with minimal interruptions except a roundabout until it ends back at 23.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Revive 755

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 07, 2015, 11:35:03 AM
name a freeway in Chicago that's not a nightmare.  Particularly those approaching the Circle (a substandard interchange since day one)

The freeway section of Stony Island Avenue?  :sombrero:

Or if you are including the whole region, the IL 137/Amstutz Expressway in Waukegan.

thenetwork

I'm assuming you meant US-36 East out of Delaware to I-71 South and not US-42?  One route I tried looong ago was OH-37 East, which does connect Delaware and Lancaster in a sorta outer bypass of Columbus to the north and east.  Mostly two-lane, though so there probably is no time savings vs any of the larger 4+lane highways, but it is a single-route connection between the two cities and you have less traffic.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Brandon on July 09, 2015, 01:53:03 PM
Name the Chicago expressway or tollway at rush hour, and I'll name you an infuriating road around here.  :-D

Seriously though, outside of that, we have...

* IL-59, miles upon miles of unsynchronized signals from I-55 north to US-12.
* The Eisenhower Expressway through the Avenues and Oak Park with the merging from the Hillside Strangler through the asinine left exits at Harlem and Austin.

I was once in a traffic jam on the Eisenhower for about twenty minutes, right in that area you described, at three o'clock in the morning.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

J Route Z

US 9 in Monmouth and Ocean Counties in NJ is the worst. Also this same road traveling through the Amboys and Old Bridge. US 1 near Princeton is also not a picnic. I think most of us agree the Staten Island Expressway is one of the worst highways in the region.

TEG24601

Quote from: kkt on July 07, 2015, 02:26:26 PM
I-5 in Seattle, esp. between Lake City and the Brewery.

The two main-line lanes under the convention center, both directions, is one hell of a bottleneck.

I would include most of the routes leading to ferries, because the backups will often extend beyond the planned area, with no proper way to manage the traffic.

Additionally, the lack of passing lanes throughout the state on state routes causes a lot of consternation, and accidents (with people passing illegally).
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

noelbotevera

Quote from: J Route Z on July 09, 2015, 07:15:17 PM
US 9 in Monmouth and Ocean Counties in NJ is the worst. Also this same road traveling through the Amboys and Old Bridge. US 1 near Princeton is also not a picnic. I think most of us agree the Staten Island Expressway is one of the worst highways in the region.
The SIE between NY 440 and the Belt Parkway can suck, but luckily, it was almost free flowing between that part. Only the Verrazano Bridge was clogged. That was at 2 o' clock in the afternoon, on a weekday.

I-81 between exit 52 to 77, and I-83 from exit 39 to the northern terminus. Both are really bumpy, substandard, and other bad interstate terms to describe them.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

kkt

Quote from: TEG24601 on July 09, 2015, 07:22:10 PM
Quote from: kkt on July 07, 2015, 02:26:26 PM
I-5 in Seattle, esp. between Lake City and the Brewery.
The two main-line lanes under the convention center, both directions, is one hell of a bottleneck.

Yep.  And so are the 520 left exits, and the associated weaves to/from Mercer and NE 45th.

Zzonkmiles

Being a Virginia resident, I have many choices. I know that I-66 from DC to Centreville is generally horrible, and I-95 from DC to Fredericksburg is even worse. VA 7 is not much fun either. But I'd say that I-64 around Norfolk going through those tunnels is the worst. Squeezing 8 lanes of traffic into 4 lanes in the tunnels is a recipe for disaster.

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: thenetwork on July 09, 2015, 05:59:49 PM

I'm assuming you meant US-36 East out of Delaware to I-71 South and not US-42?  One route I tried looong ago was OH-37 East, which does connect Delaware and Lancaster in a sorta outer bypass of Columbus to the north and east.  Mostly two-lane, though so there probably is no time savings vs any of the larger 4+lane highways, but it is a single-route connection between the two cities and you have less traffic.

Yes, I meant US-36.  I've done OH-37 before.  There have been so many different ways I have tried.  If I don't utilize US-33 to US-50, I am automatically adding 30 minutes, minimum, to my drive.  When I'm by myself, I'm good with that.  But usually I have the family, so the quicker the better.

I'm going to try OH-315 when I make the journey again on the 19th.  I'm sure the trip down won't be too bad, since I'm going down on Sunday morning.  The return on Tuesday afternoon will be the tell-tale for me.

froggie

QuoteSqueezing 8 lanes of traffic into 4 lanes in the tunnels is a recipe for disaster.

More like 6 lanes into 4, as there are major traffic diversions at both I-664 and I-564 on each side.  Plus there are several miles of 4-lane I-64 on the Norfolk side before you even get to the tunnel...but the 4 lanes there isn't the issue.  The tunnel itself is the issue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.