News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

You are now entering the X River Basin...

Started by Zzonkmiles, August 16, 2015, 06:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zzonkmiles

I've noticed that North Carolina often posts signs along its roads at/and bridges over water saying "Part of the X River Basin" or "You are now entering the X River Basin." What purpose do these signs serve? Are they useful for geologists, hydrologists, kayakers or engineers? Or are they merely conversation pieces for drivers? I can't imagine why the average driver would care that they are entering the Neuse River Basin or that some random creek is part of the Tar-Pamlico River Basin.

Do any other states feel the need to point out where their rivers lead? I can understand something truly famous like the Continental Divide pointing out where its rivers lead. But individual states? I'm at a loss.

Brandon

Some states, such as Illinois, mark them when you enter a watershed area used for drinking water with a reminder to report all spills.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

tdindy88

Tennessee comes to mind for me on this subject. Lots of signs announcing various watersheds on their interstates.

jwolfer

There are signs in Virginia and Maryland announcing watersheds. I think that started with Chesapeake Bay water quality concerns.

NJRoadfan

NJ occasionally posts them on state highways. I don't recall seeing one for the Hudson or Delaware though!

tidecat

Ohio has one for Lake Erie on I-75 North (near Wapakoneta, I think).
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

1995hoo

Back when I was 13 years old, my brother and I thought it was extremely cool when we stopped at the marker for the Arctic Watershed in Ontario somewhere between North Bay and Cochrane. It made it feel like we had gone a REALLY long way when we saw "all streams flow north into the Arctic Ocean."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TEG24601

A year or two ago, those started appearing in the Seattle Area.  Whidbey Island, amazingly enough has several, as every 'major' stream gets a sign for their watershed.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

triplemultiplex

Those signs exist so I can turn to the other people in the vehicle and quip, "Well, it's all down hill from here.  ...except for the up hill parts."
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SteveG1988

PA Turnpike: Now approaching the allegheny river
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Pete from Boston

Mass. Route 2 features "Entering the Pioneer Valley" signs when entering the Connecticut River Valley, the former name being the locally common term for the part in Massachusetts.

SteveG1988

The Chesapeake Bay ones are everywhere, they're very fancy, and i think it serves as a tourism incentive.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Rothman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 16, 2015, 01:51:10 PM
Mass. Route 2 features "Entering the Pioneer Valley" signs when entering the Connecticut River Valley, the former name being the locally common term for the part in Massachusetts.

Having grown up in the Pioneer Valley, I'd say the Pioneer Valley is part of the larger, multi-state Connecticut River Valley.  For instance, people consider Hartford as being in the Connecticut River Valley, but Pioneer Valley's solely in Massachusetts.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Ohio does it for the Lake Erie and Ohio River watersheds (basically the only 2 in the state) at the St. Lawrence continental divide. Akron lies on the divide.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SteveG1988

Your next stop...the chesapeake bay watershed.
Roads Clinched

empirestate

New York posts watershed signage as well. As for why it's done, I don't know if there's much reason beyond just informing and enlightening the reader about the small section of Earth he's occupying at the moment.

iPhone

Rothman

I believe its done for the reasons listed above:  Alerting people they shouldn't dump or pollute since it'll end up in the river.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on August 16, 2015, 06:00:51 PM
I believe its done for the reasons listed above:  Alerting people they shouldn't dump or pollute since it'll end up in the river.

Correct. Anything that goes into the Hudson below Troy gets a sign with what, if you don't look closely, looks like a dead fish.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

gonealookin

We have some nice new signs in Nevada for those crossing the ridge of the Carson Range into the Tahoe Basin.  Article with some detail, including:

Quote"Everything drains into the lake. The purpose of these new signs is to bolster environmental stewardship, let all visitors know they are entering a special place, and remind them there's a responsibility we all share to take care of it,"  said Julie Regan, chief of external affairs at TRPA. "These signs are one more tool to help instill that awareness."
Fourth of July celebrations (specific reference is to 2014, but unfortunately it happens every year) left thousands of pounds of trash on area beaches for community volunteers to clean up, showing there is still a strong need to remind people of their responsibility to help protect Lake Tahoe and its beaches.

I don't have an actual photo; here's a mock-up and that's pretty much what they look like:

(Edit:  Image posted on Photobucket deleted)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jwolfer on August 16, 2015, 09:41:20 AM
There are signs in Virginia and Maryland announcing watersheds. I think that started with Chesapeake Bay water quality concerns.

Most of them have gone away.  Maryland posts the crossing of the Eastern Continental Divide on I-68 (only) in Garrett County. 

There used to be signs about entering the Chesapeake Bay Watershed on I-95 near Petersburg, Va. and on I-70/I-76 (Pennsylvania Turnpike) east of the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel, but I believe all of those are now gone.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jwolfer

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 16, 2015, 11:40:38 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on August 16, 2015, 09:41:20 AM

Most of them have gone away.  Maryland posts the crossing of the Eastern Continental Divide on I-68 (only) in Garrett County. 

There used to be signs about entering the Chesapeake Bay Watershed on I-95 near Petersburg, Va. and on I-70/I-76 (Pennsylvania Turnpike) east of the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel, but I believe all of those are now gone.
The one on i95 in Virginia was there 7/3/15

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Rothman on August 16, 2015, 02:52:02 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 16, 2015, 01:51:10 PM

Having grown up in the Pioneer Valley, I'd say the Pioneer Valley is part of the larger, multi-state Connecticut River Valley.  For instance, people consider Hartford as being in the Connecticut River Valley, but Pioneer Valley's solely in Massachusetts.

Yes.  As I said.  That being the case, local "valley-wide" papers often include coverage of goings-on in Brattleboro, Vermont, which is probably more culturally and economically connected to the nearby part of Mass. than to most of Vermont. 

SP Cook

I think all of this started with the Cheseapeake Bay signs, and I think those were some kind of enviro deal.  Other states saw these and it became a "thing", much like the fundamentally meaningless "Certified Business Location". 

The WV Turnpike signs the "Paint Creek Watershed", which Paint Creek is a rather ordinary minor creek that flows into the Kanawha, which roughly coinsides with the misdesigned dangerous section of that road.  No idea why.

I do like Maryland's signage for the "Eastern Continental Divide".  I have not seen such elsewhere.

1995hoo

The Chesapeake signs aren't limited to entering or leaving the watershed, either. See example linked below in Alexandria, Virginia (the brown sign to the right of the GSV camera's viewpoint).

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8032144,-77.1339408,3a,75y,203.46h,86.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFIOMQSvdnqylNUjkZznniA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.