News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cities with great freeway setup

Started by webny99, May 11, 2017, 11:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Kansas City has a nice set up with the exception of I-49 not making it inside the 435 loop.  Of course that will never get done due to the current community opposition even thought the ROW is there in the middle of current US 71.

For a city of its size, I would day Wichita has a good system.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2017, 10:03:50 PM
Kansas City has a nice set up with the exception of I-49 not making it inside the 435 loop.  Of course that will never get done due to the current community opposition even thought the ROW is there in the middle of current US 71.

There are also a couple of ghost interchanges on I-70 on the KCMO's east side, one looks like it was for a never-built freeway to go towards the northern part of Independence and the other to tie into MO 350/US 50 (Blue Parkway) to/through Raytown.

Mike

silverback1065

they should make i-90 have it's own route through chicago

roadman65

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 15, 2017, 10:23:51 AM

You mean like what dzlabe proposed a hypotenuse? :D

Sheryl Crowe

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 12, 2017, 04:27:42 AM
Oklahoma City has a fairly good setup. The bulk of the city are served by freeways, with expressways bringing in traffic from outlying areas.

if you can get past all the potholes

texaskdog

Quote from: ET21 on May 12, 2017, 08:27:09 PM
Twin Cities.

They are getting better but they always underbuild.   Not enough lanes, and too many backed up expressways that should be freeways.  I-335 never built too.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: texaskdog on May 15, 2017, 11:06:43 AM
Twin Cities.

They are getting better but they always underbuild.   Not enough lanes, and too many backed up expressways that should be freeways.  I-335 never built too.

Are you expecting MSP to have Texas-style freeways with 12 lanes and 4-level stacks at every major interchange?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

texaskdog

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 15, 2017, 05:31:53 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on May 15, 2017, 11:06:43 AM
Twin Cities.

Are you expecting MSP to have Texas-style freeways with 12 lanes and 4-level stacks at every major interchange?

LOL Traffic is worse here in Austin.  We have no East-West freeways even.  We're leaving Austin just to get away from the mess.

But I do love my stacks.

RobbieL2415

Disney World (Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista, FL).

Multiple points of ingress and egress, clear signage, great interconnection with public roadways.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 15, 2017, 10:55:12 PM

Multiple points of ingress and egress, clear signage, great interconnection with public roadways.

Yeah and they all cause traffic to backup on I-4.  Everyone mainly uses I-4 since it is the only true "freeway" in the area with all the other limited access roads being tolled.  This also means surface roads in Orlando like US 17/92/441 on OBT, FL 436 on Semoran, and FL 50 on Colonial see a ton of traffic that would otherwise use a "free" limited access road.

Henry

I like the freeway system in my current home, Seattle, even without those that were cancelled.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 16, 2017, 05:35:21 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 15, 2017, 10:55:12 PM

Yeah and they all cause traffic to backup on I-4.  Everyone mainly uses I-4 since it is the only true "freeway" in the area with all the other limited access roads being tolled.  This also means surface roads in Orlando like US 17/92/441 on OBT, FL 436 on Semoran, and FL 50 on Colonial see a ton of traffic that would otherwise use a "free" limited access road.

No its the GPS that puts people on I-4 and if it told them to drive the toll road they would.  I work the Beachline West Plaza and I get many people bitch and moan that they have no money because they "Did not know its a toll road" despite the signage at the ramps entering the freeway.

The majority of Disney visitors stay on International Drive so I-4 is the only main connector between the two areas.  So its the only way.

Sheryl Crowe

Plutonic Panda

What cities outside of the countries of U.S., Canada, Japan, Australia, China, and Western Europe have the best freeway systems or ones that are closest to resembling American cities?

The contenders I know of would be Santiago(Chile), Buenos Aires, and Dubai. Keep in mind, I've only skimmed some of these cities on Google Maps and have never visited them. So those are mainly guesses. Last time I looked on Google Maps, Dubai's system was underwhelming to say the least.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess that Seoul, Moscow, and Mumbai have somewhat decent set-ups.

Rothman

Having been to Moscow, it absolutely does not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on May 17, 2017, 07:47:50 PM
Having been to Moscow, it absolutely does not.
Do they even have good expressways?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jaehak

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 17, 2017, 07:46:57 PM
What cities outside of the countries of U.S., Canada, Japan, Australia, China, and Western Europe have the best freeway systems or ones that are closest to resembling American cities?

The contenders I know of would be Santiago(Chile), Buenos Aires, and Dubai. Keep in mind, I've only skimmed some of these cities on Google Maps and have never visited them. So those are mainly guesses. Last time I looked on Google Maps, Dubai's system was underwhelming to say the least.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess that Seoul, Moscow, and Mumbai have somewhat decent set-ups.

Seoul proper has a pretty substandard freeway system. All of the freeways within the city are fairly old, and most have 2 lanes of traffic in each direction. The 2 freeways on either side of the river are perpetually jammed. Fortunately, Seoul has arguably the best subway system in the world, but it's a terrible place to drive. 10 million city proper and 23 million in the metro area will do that. South Korea as a whole has a fine freeway system, and the shields and route numbers are modeled after the Interstate Highway system. All of the "interstates" are toll roads, but it's a well designed and efficient system. One glaring omission - the 50, which is the main highway between the Seoul metro area and the 2018 Winter Olympic site. It's woefully insufficient for bog standard 3 day weekend traffic to the coast, much less a major international event.

Dubai's system is fairly bad.

The west half of Bangkok has a pretty good freeway system (although, again, tolled).

Malaysia has a pretty good freeway network.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jaehak on May 18, 2017, 11:56:06 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 17, 2017, 07:46:57 PM

Seoul proper has a pretty substandard freeway system. All of the freeways within the city are fairly old, and most have 2 lanes of traffic in each direction. The 2 freeways on either side of the river are perpetually jammed. Fortunately, Seoul has arguably the best subway system in the world, but it's a terrible place to drive. 10 million city proper and 23 million in the metro area will do that. South Korea as a whole has a fine freeway system, and the shields and route numbers are modeled after the Interstate Highway system. All of the "interstates" are toll roads, but it's a well designed and efficient system. One glaring omission - the 50, which is the main highway between the Seoul metro area and the 2018 Winter Olympic site. It's woefully insufficient for bog standard 3 day weekend traffic to the coast, much less a major international event.

Dubai's system is fairly bad.

The west half of Bangkok has a pretty good freeway system (although, again, tolled).

Malaysia has a pretty good freeway network.
Have you been to China?  I know they've been throwing money at highway projects the past decade

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman65 on May 15, 2017, 10:32:01 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 15, 2017, 10:23:51 AM

You mean like what dzlabe proposed a hypotenuse? :D
I would use the lake shore drive.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hm insulators

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 12, 2017, 09:42:45 AM
The Twin Cities, with their robust and comprehensive freeway network, make Chicagoland look like a festering pile of smoldering garbage that reeks of onion breath.  Which it is.
:-D :clap:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.