News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Walking on Active Interstates

Started by Zmapper, July 08, 2011, 04:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever walked on an interstate?

No, Never
16 (28.6%)
Yes, hard shoulder only
20 (35.7%)
Yes, mainline
20 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: March 07, 2012, 11:13:40 PM

Zmapper

Has anyone ever walked on an active interstate for any reason. Car collision, broken down, etc.

Active Interstate means that it is normally opened for vehicle traffic.

What doesn't count:
-Opening Celebrations
-Planned Closures-special events, parades, marches etc.
-Abandoned Interstates

-----
I have once, because of a semi collision that blocked the whole interstate.

1995hoo

Stopped in a massive traffic jam on I-77 a short distance south of I-81 and had to take a leak. Since the traffic wasn't moving, I set the handbrake, got out of the car, walked around the car to the shoulder, and took a leak. Most of the cars on the road were from West Virginia–UVA was playing WVU in the Continental Tire Bowl in Charlotte the following day and we were all heading there–and my action got a lot of celebratory horn-beeping.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ian

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 08, 2011, 04:31:17 PM
Stopped in a massive traffic jam on I-77 a short distance south of I-81 and had to take a leak. Since the traffic wasn't moving, I set the handbrake, got out of the car, walked around the car to the shoulder, and took a leak.

I had a similar situation happen a few years ago on I-87/NY Thruway southbound about 3 miles south of Newburgh when there was a 10 mile backup (though never did find out what the cause was).
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

vtk

I think traffic jams shouldn't count either...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Zmapper

I count them. They aren't planned and there often is a legitimate* excuse to walk on the interstate.

*Legally Questionable

agentsteel53

I rarely stop on full freeways to take photos, but I have done so on I-80 in Utah.

as you can see from the photo, people have done a lot more in this area than simply stopping by the side of the freeway!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Perhaps you want to qualify this to walking on a full-freeway section where pedestrians are prohibited. Otherwise you'll get Breezewood etc.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Many times, for photos. Most recent time that comes to mind is stopping on I-26 in Tennessee and walking over to get a shot of the "End I-26" sign for the other direction of travel.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

My father has a story where he walked home down the center lane of I-95 once when it was closed due to a blizzard.

I can't say I've ever walked on an active interstate, though.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

KEK Inc.

My car overheated, so I had to go to the trunk, so I suppose hard shoulder. 

Apart from that, I have natural survival instinct not to walk on the mainline of any freeway.  I have lied down in an active mainline highway to take a close-up picture of the yellow pavement markings, though.  The highway is barely traversed, though. 
Take the road less traveled.

corco

In January 09 all but one of my lug nuts fell off on one wheel when the assholes who put my snow tires on forgot to tighten one of the wheels.

I was on I-80 somewhere between Echo junction and Wyoming and walked to the nearest mile marker in a snowstorm so I could tell AAA where I was. That was not fun at all.

Brandon

Does surveying the edge of a freeway count?  :sombrero:

I've stopped and gotten out and walked when I've been witness to an accident (remember one with a car that flew across three lanes on I-55  -the guy was OK), or when I need to fix something on the car/truck that I can't get to and can't wait for an exit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US71

Does standing on the centerline taking a photo count? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

No, since if it has a centerline it's not a typical Interstate.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ShawnP

I-64 for half a mile to awake during a late night drive from Ky to Mo. It was just over the Illinois border. Wife drove ahead and I walked down centerline for kicks. Not one vehicle at 3am.

ftballfan

This happened when the alternator in my mom's SUV blew out on I-75 south of Tifton, GA. We were on our way home from Florida and we got out to get from the SUV to the police car that took us to the repair shop.

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on July 08, 2011, 10:17:04 PM

In engineering terms, every road has a centerline, and it quite often does not coincide with a yellow line painted on the pavement. 
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

US71

Quote from: NE2 on July 08, 2011, 10:17:04 PM

I believe you are mistaken, sir. Is that not the centerline that divides the road into 2 lanes?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

Usually a centerline is the line separating opposite directions. I guess it can also describe the center of one direction, but due to shoulder widths that's not likely to be the line between the two lanes. It can also, in engineering contexts, refer to the center of the entire right-of-way.

J N Winkler

If you want to brag about standing on the centerline, baseline, profile grade line, or what have you, quote me the number of the project that built the length of road you were standing on.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Dr Frankenstein

My dad went on the shoulder of I-89 to take a leak at 3AM. That's about it, I think.

BigMattFromTexas

Had to stop to check the engine of our SUV on I-10 between Kerrville, and San Antono.. That's pretty much it. It didn't take long, but it happened.. Ha.
BigMatt

triplemultiplex

Was traveling NB on I-65 north of Nashville when traffic came to a screeching halt due to a collision involving a motorcycle that required a flight-for-life chopper, so the whole interstate was shut down.  My brothers and I jumped out the car and tossed the football around in the the vacated SB lanes for a good half hour.  I even walked off the shoulder to take a wizz in the woods.

I was also stopped by flagging operations once somewhere's out west years back and used the opportunity to jump out and snag a cold drink from the back for myself and other passengers.

Finally, I've scurried across an active ramp in the Marquette Interchange while it was under construction to snag a few photos from the median of I-43 near Wisconsin Ave.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

deathtopumpkins

I've walked all over the HRBT while stopped for a tunnel closure. Most recently was at about 4 AM on June 29. Even camped out sitting on the railing for lunch one day. Plus I walked a short distance down I-295 when photographing the first new Speed Limit 70 signs put up in Virginia (albeit on the shoulder because there was moderate traffic), and ran around I-64 a little bit after I lost something off the car once.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 09, 2011, 01:17:48 AM
If you want to brag about standing on the centerline, baseline, profile grade line, or what have you, quote me the number of the project that built the length of road you were standing on.
No. That's just fucking weird. I've stood on the centerline of Storrow Drive in Boston (4' grassed median). I don't give a shit what project number built it. It's a road. I like roads. I know a lot about them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.