News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest city served by only one type of route

Started by xonhulu, July 21, 2011, 02:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

I thought of this while driving through Bend, OR awhile back.  Bend (population 76,621) is only served by US Highways (20, 97, BUS 97), thanks to ODOT never assigning a route # to the Century Lakes Hwy (should be OR 372 if they had) and relinquishing the Powell Butte Hwy (would've been OR 371).  But I doubt this is the record for cities only served by US Hwys; seems like there's be some Midwest towns that would beat that.

So what else is out there?  I suspect there are plenty of large suburbs with only state routes, but only US or interstates escapes me.  Anybody know any?

InterstateNG

Quote from: xonhulu on July 21, 2011, 02:28:41 PM
So what else is out there?  I suspect there are plenty of large suburbs with only state routes, but only US or interstates escapes me.  Anybody know any?

The obvious example of Fresno being only served by State Routes comes to mind.
I demand an apology.

1995hoo

Anchorage is served by a single state route (AK-1), but if you are of the hypertechnical sort you could argue that said state route is multiplexed with two unsigned Interstates (I-A1 and I-A3) such that you maybe could contend that the city is therefore served solely by Interstates if you're of the opinion that an Interstate designation trumps everything else. Under the circumstances I'd think that would be a weak argument given that the state route number is the only one signed, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

xonhulu

Good examples.  I'd buy the argument that Anchorage (pop 291,826) counts, but Fresno (pop 510,365) is bigger.

Any US-only cities bigger than Bend?

And I'm struggling to think of any sizable city served only by interstates.

huskeroadgeek

A little off topic, but I had no idea Bend, OR was that big. Without looking it up, I would have guessed the city was about 30,000. In the 1990 Census, the population was 23,740. That's more than tripling the population in just 20 years. I'm not very familiar with central Oregon-what's the reason for the explosive growth?

Sykotyk

It's a resort area. A lot of people moving out from the I-5 corridor, probably.

TheStranger

Depending on whether Route 42 is signed at all on Firestone Bouleard, Norwalk, CA would have distinction of largest city with only interstates: 105,549 folks.
Chris Sampang

Quillz

Fresno is the largest city in the country not served by an Interstate highway. Currently, it's served only by state highways, although at one point in time it would have had at least US-99.

Norwalk should count because, despite signage, CA-42 has not officially existed anymore for a long time.

TheStranger

Quote from: Quillz on July 21, 2011, 05:29:04 PM
Norwalk should count because, despite signage, CA-42 has not officially existed anymore for a long time.

I'm not sure simply because, officially, Route 42 hasn't existed from 1968 on (when current I-105 was defined legislatively) BUT it had been well signed from then into the mid-90s when 105 opened.

I don't think the Norwalk section is signed beyond the I-5 junction though.

A couple of California near misses: El Monte (113K) would count were it not for a short piece of the city including Route 19, and Carlsbad (105,328) MIGHT count if the north boundary only skirts Route 78, rather than crosses it (I'm not sure).
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

I don't think a new 42 sign has been put up since the early 90s (likely when 105 was opened). 

that said, I think the 91 freeway comes close enough to Norway that one can consider the city served by it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Riverside Frwy

Quote from: InterstateNG on July 21, 2011, 02:49:02 PM
Quote from: xonhulu on July 21, 2011, 02:28:41 PM

The obvious example of Fresno being only served by State Routes comes to mind.
I think in general California has more State Route Freeways than any other state.

Quote from: TheStranger on July 21, 2011, 05:20:10 PM
Depending on whether Route 42 is signed at all on Firestone Bouleard, Norwalk, CA would have distinction of largest city with only interstates: 105,549 folks.
You mean I-605, not 549

Riverside Frwy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 21, 2011, 05:43:47 PM
I don't think a new 42 sign has been put up since the early 90s (likely when 105 was opened).  

that said, I think the 91 freeway comes close enough to Norway that one can consider the city served by it.

Well, according to google, my avatar does not touch Norwalk:
http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=Norwalk,+CA&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
(Mini map shows boundaries)

About your point of it being close enough, LA metro is pretty much one giant city so...

BigMattFromTexas

San Angelo, TX;
Population - 92,300
US 67, 87, 277
Tom Green County Pop. 110,000
No interstate no plans for any interstate extension..
BigMatt

NE2

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on July 21, 2011, 06:00:06 PM
You mean I-605, not 549
105,549 is the population :banghead:

Anyway, this discussion shows the silliness of using city boundaries rather than metropolitan areas.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Riverside Frwy

Quote from: NE2 on July 21, 2011, 06:21:20 PM
Quote from: Riverside Frwy on July 21, 2011, 06:00:06 PM
You mean I-605, not 549
105,549 is the population :banghead:

Anyway, this discussion shows the silliness of using city boundaries rather than metropolitan areas.

Sorry, I saw "105" and immediately thought you were referring to the interstates. :-D

BigMattFromTexas

Well if we include metropolitan areas then Angelo's would be 105,781, or a 2009 population of 110,119.
BigMatt

agentsteel53

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on July 21, 2011, 06:04:12 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 21, 2011, 05:43:47 PM

Well, according to google, my avatar does not touch Norwalk:

just noticed my typo.  the 91 freeway definitely does not come anywhere close to Norway.

not even the one in Maine.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: xonhulu on July 21, 2011, 03:31:58 PM
Good examples.  I'd buy the argument that Anchorage (pop 291,826) counts, but Fresno (pop 510,365) is bigger.

I guess I misunderstood the last paragraph in the OP. I thought state routes were being excluded. I was using Anchorage as a theoretical example of one that MAYBE could be argued to be served only by Interstates, though as I said I think it's a weak argument.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheStranger

Quote from: NE2 on July 21, 2011, 06:21:20 PM

I'm not sure though that there are very many metro areas that could qualify under this - i.e. metropolitan Fresno DOES fit as an entire metro area on just state routes, but one with just Interstates probably would be pretty hard to find.
Chris Sampang

xonhulu

Let's stick to signed routes and specific cities, not metro areas.  Anchorage, though, may have the distinction of being the largest city served by only one signed route of any kind.

And there are cities/towns served by only interstates; it's just that I can't think of any sizable ones!  Kalama, WA, for example, only has I-5, but its population is only 2344.

Kacie Jane

I'll see your Kalama, and raise you Mercer Island, which has only I-90, and about 10x as many people.

TheStranger

If Norwalk doesn't count due to Route 42...

nearby South Gate (another Los Angeles suburb) is a prime candidate for largest Interstate-only city: 102K according to California population statistics, 94K according to 2010 Census, with only numbered highways being I-105 and I-710.
Chris Sampang

ftballfan

Route 42 isn't even a state highway, so Norwalk, CA would count.

xonhulu

Quote from: TheStranger on July 21, 2011, 10:19:55 PM
If Norwalk doesn't count due to Route 42...

nearby South Gate (another Los Angeles suburb) is a prime candidate for largest Interstate-only city: 102K according to California population statistics, 94K according to 2010 Census, with only numbered highways being I-105 and I-710.

I kind of figured the interstate-only city would be a suburb of some kind.

Any US-only cities that beat Bend?

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.