News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Openings

Started by 3467, November 22, 2012, 11:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I thought a national thread for new openings would be useful to point out new road openings.
Perhaps they could be announced here and discussion could continue in the regional threads.
I just posted Illinois 255 in Ohio Valley under the US 67 thread
There is I-69 also in Ohio Valley
In Central States a portion of US 20 opened in western Iowa and has good info on current construction costs

Alps

As a mod, I'm going to voice the opinion that new road openings should continue to be posted in the appropriate region.

on_wisconsin

I like the idea of a general road opening thread, its useful for those who don't venture to various other regional subfourms or only a handful of them. Also its a good idea beacuse one might not want to sift through an entire long-winded local thread just find out if something has opened or not.
But, yes the general discussion about the road (that is opening) should continue on the regional level.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

on-wisconsin sums up exactly what I was thinking. It should be limited to announcements. If its abused then drop it

Alps

So basically, just post the fact that the road has opened here, but keep all discussion confined to the appropriate forum? I can sign to that.

Scott5114

Eh, just look at the regional forums. There's not that many of them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vtk

I like the idea as outlied by on_wisconsin and summarized by Steve, but I recommend the following guideline: include a link to the relevant regional thread with your announcement.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

mukade

Here are two recent ones from the midwest that aren't I-69.

Ohio-Indiana: US 24 Fort to Port Completion
AA Roads Forum link (Midwest board) - Late August for final Ohio part and early November for final Indiana part. Both of these final sections were freeway or mostly freeway.
Final section to open in Fort to Port Highway (Toledo Blade external link)

Indiana: SR 25 Hoosier Heartland expressway opens from Lafayette to Delphi
AA Roads Forum link (Midwest board)
This can be considered an extension of the Fort to Port route. The remainder of the route from Delphi to Logansport is still under construction.

mgk920

I like the idea of having this be a simple announcement thread with the option for links to other threads, news reports and/or DOT news releases.

Also, I would call this something like "New Highway Openings".

Mike

Grzrd

Grzrd

MoDOT has a countdown clock to its 12-12-12-12 I-49 unveiling (I guess that counts as an opening):
http://www.modot.org/southwest/

Kacie Jane

I was going to make fun of you for the extra 12, until I saw it opened at noon.  Someone at MoDot into numerology?

US71

Quote from: Kacie Jane on November 27, 2012, 05:37:07 PM
I was going to make fun of you for the extra 12, until I saw it opened at noon.  Someone at MoDot into numerology?

Ideally, it should 12-12-12 at 12:12:12 ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

It's like they're saying it's being opened too late. The opposite of Veterans Day.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on November 27, 2012, 05:40:52 PM
It's like they're saying it's being opened too late. The opposite of Veterans Day.

Now that you mention numerology, the countdown clock should hit zero at noon Eastern Standard Time on Dec. 12. Isn't Missouri in the Central time zone? A local 11:00 am opening? Or, am I just making a basic math mistake?

NE2

Quote from: Grzrd on November 27, 2012, 05:45:49 PM
Now that you mention numerology, the countdown clock should hit zero at noon Eastern Standard Time on Dec. 12. Isn't Missouri in the Central time zone? A local 11:00 am opening? Or, am I just making a basic math mistake?
Dumbass used the system time to calculate.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on November 27, 2012, 05:45:49 PM
Quote from: NE2 on November 27, 2012, 05:40:52 PM

Yes, Central Time :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.