News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

South Korean expressways

Started by Chris, November 29, 2009, 10:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

very big map with the expressway system

South Korea is an interesting country when it comes to roads. The number shields are similar to those used in the United States and the expressway numbering is similar to that of the Interstate Highway system.

The country has about 48 million inhabitants of which 25 million live in the Seoul metropolitan area.

un1

Thats neat, but there freeway system looks really grided south of Seoul to Busan, then there is almost no freeways just east of Busan.

The images of the freeways just outside of downtown Seoul (I believe), are really nice. I should go there one day..
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Chris

Freeway map of Seoul:

the northern part of the ring road was completed in 2007.

mightyace

Where's that massive toll plaza?
Given their heavy high tech industry, do they have or are they working on ETC?

You can definitely see the U.S. influence in the pictures.  (Probably as a result of the presence of the U.S. military being there since 1951!)

Many of those pictures, (without road signs or trucks) look like they could be here in the states as the cars are, not surprisingly similar.  (as the home of Hyundai)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Chris

That toll plaza is probably on Expressway 1, just south of Seoul. That road section carries 237,000 AADT.

Seoul is different than Tokyo, although many people consider them similar cities. Both are dense, both are Asian and both have extensive public transportation. But Seoul has a far better road network. Tokyo is just a bunch of 4-lane double-decked expressways with insane tolls and perpetual congestion. Seoul has somewhat more and wider expressways. The beltway is 8 - 10 lanes all the way and both sides of the Han River feature an 8-lane expressway, that sums up to 16 east-west lanes through the city. Adding to that are two six-lane expressways through the city and around downtown.

Not that Seoul doesn't have congestion, it's a 24 million metropolitan area after all, but it's not as bad as other Asian cities like in India or China. The sheer number of bridges across the Han River is impressive too. There are over twenty road bridges crossing this wide river with 6 - 10 lanes each, often build on twin-spans. Add a bunch of railroad bridges to that, and the number of bridges tops 30. There is even a 4-span railroad bridge. Quite impressive. It's called the "Miracle on the Han River", which also refers to the economic growth between 1960 and today.

xcellntbuy

Given the photos of South Korea's highways and the impressive development, it makes their oppressed brethren to the North look like they live in the stone age.

Truvelo

The US influence even includes things such as the yellow line next to the median although the normal lane markings appear closer together than in the US.

In one of the night pictures I spot a ghost ramp... :colorful:
Speed limits limit life

Alps

Quote from: Truvelo on December 04, 2009, 11:54:20 AM
The US influence even includes things such as the yellow line next to the median although the normal lane markings appear closer together than in the US.

3.6m is a tiny bit less than 12 ft, but that is usually not noticeable.  They may be using 3.3m?

froggie

Along with some of the more-rural photos showing a 110kmh speed limit, there are signs suggesting that speed cameras exist...

mhallack

Quote from: xcellntbuy on December 04, 2009, 11:45:41 AM
Given the photos of South Korea's highways and the impressive development, it makes their oppressed brethren to the North look like they live in the stone age.

You have that right about North Korea being in the stone age, check out their highways. And imagine what the costs would be if they reunify.

resized image.  please put "width=800" after img inside the brackets so photos don't get unwieldy in size

agentsteel53

those highways seem to be in reasonably good condition.  and I approve of the traffic levels wholeheartedly!  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mhallack

Oh yeah, only the military and party officals are allowed to drive in North Korea, but they do have lots of civilian "help" to keep the roads nice looking. I would love to sneak in the country with a muscle car and just punch it on these roads. Makes highways in Cuba look like the 405 freeway (LA) during rush hour.  :spin:

agentsteel53

Quote from: mhallack on May 08, 2010, 06:54:15 PM
Oh yeah, only the military and party officals are allowed to drive in North Korea, but they do have lots of civilian "help" to keep the roads nice looking. I would love to sneak in the country with a muscle car and just punch it on these roads. Makes highways in Cuba look like the 405 freeway (LA) during rush hour.  :spin:

just change your name to Kim Jong-Il and you don't have to do any sneaking!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

yanksfan6129

Actually, both North and South Korea have huge, empty freeways. DPRK has a 6 lane, immaculately maintained (and of course sparsely used) freeway from Pyongyang to Kaesong, and onward to the boarder near Panmunjom. Also, look at a satellite view of Kaesong, DPRK...you'll see EXTREMELY wide and virtually empty streets.

Lest you think that this is just another commie thing, ROK has the same thing (albeit in a much more confined area...the rest of South Korea has congested freeways, of course). When one is near the border, just like North Korea, the roads in South Korea grow extremely ride and virtually desolate. The purpose of this is to be able to lead a large-scale invasion on the drop of a dime.

Both countries even go a step further with their road systems. North Korea has no street signs, in the belief that it will slow a South Korean invasion by "confusing" them with regard to locations of things (which, in my opinion, isn't bloody likely). And South Korean freeway overpasses contain huge concrete blocks which can be exploded onto the roadways to block and slow an invading force.

Basically, both countries are ready to fight, as I mentioned above, on the drop of a dime, and their respective road systems reflect this.

Chris

South Korea has an 8-lane expressway running along the North Korean border northwest of Seoul indeed.

Most other South Korean urban expressways, especially around Seoul have a very American feel with very high traffic volumes. It's remarkable how many big-ass new towns there are south and west of Seoul. These are the "Plano's" and "Mesa's" of Korea, but then mostly built with large-scale apartment complexes.

Truvelo

I would have thought the roads in the North would be lined with large posters of Kim Jong-Il looking down on everyone who passes.
Speed limits limit life

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.