News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What’s your opinion of the airplane Logo for Airports?

Started by roadman65, April 19, 2023, 05:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like the plane doubling as an arrow?

Yes
15 (39.5%)
No
23 (60.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: spooky on April 27, 2023, 09:43:33 AM
In Massachusetts, I've seen a few instances of the I-5 sign rotated with an inset arrow within the plane symbol.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1002763,-70.678557,3a,75y,82.21h,78.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPfmmDJ6NF-8iJHleciarag!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you were on I-5 in Massachusetts, wow, you were lost!

All that to say that it took me a minute to realize what an I-5 sign was, which, for the record, is this:
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

roadman65

Quote from: roadman65 on April 30, 2023, 06:20:07 AM
Newark-Liberty International used to be just Newark Airport on signs and was fine with area residents.

Tampa International Airport was signed Tampa Airport which never was an issue. Now it's been signed Tampa followed by a plane logo ✈️.

https://goo.gl/maps/Wj9EvKVupaPZMCz78
The Garden State Parkway uses Newark Airport still.  However, though the brown border has a lot to be desired for. Only in NJ on the NJTA roads is this a characteristic as NJDOT doesn't use this practice for Newark Airport.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JoePCool14

Not a fan of the practice. I consider it a bit tacky, and to some, it may not be very clear either.

In general, I like the symbol though compared to the supposedly unofficial side profile alternate.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

SSR_317

What if you have to make a U-turn to get to such an airport? Would the aircraft symbol have to then be placed in the "crash position" (i.e., nose down)? Not great for any squeamish flyers trying to get to a flight they are already reluctant to take!  :wow:

ran4sh

Quote from: SSR_317 on July 02, 2023, 08:05:57 PM
What if you have to make a U-turn to get to such an airport? Would the aircraft symbol have to then be placed in the "crash position" (i.e., nose down)? Not great for any squeamish flyers trying to get to a flight they are already reluctant to take!  :wow:

It's an approved MUTCD interpretation, not a Standard or Guidance statement. (Again, to be clear, the actual arrow plaque is required for MUTCD compliance, but the rotation of the airplane symbol is also permitted)

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/interpretations/2_564.htm
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.