News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Major Toll Roads vs. Local Freeways

Started by vdeane, May 13, 2023, 09:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on May 18, 2023, 01:30:06 PM
Perhaps keep the list to only states with toll facilities...

You started that list, not me. Besides, we're not talking about toll facilities, the OP clearly states "Major Toll Roads". So, you know, not (eg) a HOT lane.

States with long-distance toll roads (turnpikes) have a road hierarchy more like Japan and less like other US states. Back home in WA, we don't have turnpikes; same with Oregon, or California, etc., everything is just a regular freeway. We have toll lanes, sure. And California does have entire toll roads, but nothing that resembles the Thruway, or Florida's Turnpike, which are much closer in design to what I see in Japan, with sparsely-spaced exits and trumpet interchanges with toll booths.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2023, 07:08:24 PM

You started that list, not me.

Yep, my list, my rules, my point...which you essentially repeated.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on May 18, 2023, 08:27:52 PM

What exactly is your point, Roth? I don't recall repeating anything.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2023, 08:42:10 PM

My point is that there's a lot of similarity between your description of Japan and the U.S....which you then pointed out as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on May 18, 2023, 08:49:40 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2023, 08:42:10 PM

My point is that there's a lot of similarity between your description of Japan and the U.S....which you then pointed out as well.

No I didn't, I specifically rebutted that point:

Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2023, 01:01:31 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 17, 2023, 11:12:37 PM
Sounds like the U.S....

It should sound like New York; the long-distance expressways are just like the Thruway.

hobsini2

If this was asked of me 30 years ago when I first started driving, the Illinois Tollways had fewer exits and the toll barriers every so often. So it did feel like 294 and 355 were not part of the expressway system. Nowadays, with fewer interchanges that are not full interchanges on the tollways and with ORT, it does feel more integrated.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

StogieGuy7

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 11, 2023, 12:57:32 PM
If this was asked of me 30 years ago when I first started driving, the Illinois Tollways had fewer exits and the toll barriers every so often. So it did feel like 294 and 355 were not part of the expressway system. Nowadays, with fewer interchanges that are not full interchanges on the tollways and with ORT, it does feel more integrated.

Well summarized...I agree with you 100%. The differences have become much less, such that I barely notice when I cross from the free section of I-94 near the WI border to the Tri-State Tollway just south of the US-41 split.  Sure, I notice the signage/pavement changes but otherwise it's pretty seamless. As long as you have your I-Pass its easy to forget about paying the toll too.  Way different than sitting in a long-ass line in order to pitch $0.30 into a basket so you can exit!

machias

Quote from: vdeane on May 13, 2023, 09:35:20 PM
Does anyone else differentiate major toll roads (ie, the ones with ticket systems or that used to have them) from the "local freeway system" of the area?  I was thinking about this today with respect to the Thruway.  I don't consider the sections that were part of the ticket system (so most of it) as being part of the "local freeway system" of wherever it travels.  The only exceptions are the parts near NYC south of the ticket system and the Buffalo free zone, to the extent that I don't even think of Depew as being part of the Buffalo area since it's off exit 49 instead of in the free zone (in my mind, you enter/leave the Buffalo area near I-290, more specifically, where the Williamsville toll barrier was).  Likewise, Schenectady feels like something separate from the rest of the Capital District, because you have to take the Thruway or local streets to get there.  And if I'm traveling to the south end of Albany, I take I-90/I-787 so I can take the "local freeway system" even though the Thruway is slightly faster.

Does anyone else do this with the toll roads in their area?

I certainly don't feel like the Thruway is part of the local freeway system in Syracuse in any shape or manner.

bzakharin

Quote from: CrystalWalrein on May 15, 2023, 06:34:58 AM
The Garden State Parkway doesn't feel like a toll road for several reasons. First, there are few trumpet interchanges since it doesn't operate on a closed system. Second, the stretch near me can be travelled without paying any tolls.

The Atlantic City Expressway, on the other hand, does feel like a toll road since there are no ways to avoid paying a toll on it unless you turn around via the Farley services.

The Atlantic City Expressway is weird in a lot of ways. There is no local freeway system to tie into except NJ 42 at the western terminus and the Garden State Parkway (which has a full free interchange). It tries to mimic a ticketing system without actually having one (why?). It has frequent exits in the more populated areas and is just too short. The "check fuel gauge" sign at the service plaza is laughable, since fuel signs are posted at every exit, and the longest distance between exits is maybe 11 miles (granted, you must pay a toll to re-enter except at exit 7).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.