News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Freeways with at-grade railroad crossings

Started by Crown Victoria, December 26, 2019, 04:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

DandyDan

Quote from: lepidopteran on December 26, 2019, 06:07:07 PM
Map of divided highways with RR crossings.  Note that this also includes many arterial roads that happen to be divided, not just freeways.
There's one on US 218 north of Austin, MN not marked on your map. I have no idea how often the railroad crossing is used.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

cl94

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 27, 2019, 10:50:55 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 27, 2019, 01:39:48 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on December 27, 2019, 12:10:43 PM
I feel like we've had threads on this before...

I know we have, but I can't find the thread.

Railroad Crossing

Not that thread, but I remember a thread from a few years ago that focused specifically on divided highways and freeways.

The Atlantic City - Brigantine Connector in Atlantic City crosses the NJT Atlantic City Line immediately west of that line's station in AC. I don't know why they didn't build up, but it would have been impossible to go down thanks to the Intracostal Waterway.

Not a full freeway, but NJ 17 (a "Jersey Freeway") has a grade crossing at its interchange with I-80.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Revive 755

Quote from: ozarkman417 on December 27, 2019, 02:27:46 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 27, 2019, 01:37:33 PM
How often is that railroad used, though?  I've never seen a train there.  My memory is fuzzy, but I don't remember there being gates either–just [EXEMPT] signs.
Before 2015 I would occasionally see trains delivering coal to the Lake Springfield Power Plant (where the railroad terminates) though I'm not sure if I have ever been stopped on JRF by one. I do remember the 'BE PREPARED TO STOP' signs at the interchange. 2015 was the year the Power Plant stopped using coal and disabled 3 of 5 generators. Now, The plant is being retired.
Figures the line probably gets abandoned after it gets grade separated.

The crossing had cantilevers and gates, and at least one set of 'Be Prepared to Stop' signs with a pair of flashing beacons above that would alternate with a flashing 'train' word message below the sign for EB US 60.  Looking at 2007 Streetview from SB US 65 and some of the ramps, it looks like there may have also been an advanced flashing assemblies for WB and the SB to WB ramp as well, but not with the circular sign.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DandyDan on December 28, 2019, 02:02:00 AM
Map of divided highways with RR crossings.  Note that this also includes many arterial roads that happen to be divided, not just freeways.
There's one on US 218 north of Austin, MN not marked on your map. I have no idea how often the railroad crossing is used.

Also on MN 61 in Duluth, which is largely but not exclusively a seasonal railroad operated by the Duluth Depot's train museum.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DJ Particle

Until 1967, there was one just to the west of Exit 8 (75) on the Mid-Cape Highway back in that section's Super-2 days.

TheGrassGuy

How long ago was this map made? A good number of these don't even exist anymore.

In just NJ alone, the southern one on US 1, both of the US 22 ones, NJ 15, the western and eastern ones on US 46.

On an unrelated note, I never knew that NJ 17 had a railroad crossing under an overpass!
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

roadman65

Obviously the few angered users on here who normally shame a new members when they ask a question today in 2019 by another member back in 2001 are either busy for the holidays or taking meds to calm their nerves.  Usually someone will hastefully post the link to it!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 27, 2019, 10:50:55 PM

Railroad Crossing

That's not a thread about freeways with at-grade railroad crossings.  That's a thread about railroad crossings in general.  I thought there was a whole thread about this same topic, but apparently there isn't, or else someone would have linked to it by now.

Quote from: roadman65 on December 31, 2019, 12:01:38 PM
Obviously the few angered users on here who normally shame a new members when they ask a question today in 2019 by another member back in 2001 are either busy for the holidays or taking meds to calm their nerves.  Usually someone will hastefully post the link to it!

No, I think there must genuinely not be one.  We've tried and failed to find it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

andrepoiy

I remember that Autoroute 20 in Quebec has a railway crossing on it somewhere. I don't remember where, but I remember being so surprised to see one that I had to double check the GPS to see if I was actually still on Autoroute 20.

lepidopteran

Quote from: andrepoiy on January 05, 2020, 07:00:34 PM
I remember that Autoroute 20 in Quebec has a railway crossing on it somewhere. I don't remember where, but I remember being so surprised to see one that I had to double check the GPS to see if I was actually still on Autoroute 20.
That's in Saint-Hyacinthe, east of Montreal.  It is on the map.

I went in and added the crossings listed in this thread.  Pins that are red are abandoned, and green pins are active, though "active" doesn't necessarily mean it sees much use.  Yellow pins are rare; these indicate a grade crossing that used to exist, but has since been grade-separated.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.