News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wriddle082

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on July 07, 2022, 08:46:00 PM
Do other states have truck rollover advisory/warning signs on interstate mainlines, or is North Carolina special?

I-26

I-40

SC does on I-77:
https://goo.gl/maps/PhgTSHgWzMGqtF9s6

nerdom

While NC is certainly special, MD has them for sure.

VTGoose

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 07, 2022, 11:35:11 PM
SC does on I-77:
https://goo.gl/maps/PhgTSHgWzMGqtF9s6

As does West Virginia, further north on I-77, on the southbound side coming down Flat Top Mountain to a sharp curve.

https://goo.gl/maps/T6shorFCE1xnUuey5
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

LM117

A contract for building the Drysdale Drive Extension in Wilmington has been awarded. The extension is the first phase of a new Eastwood Road/Military Cutoff Road interchange. Work can begin in August and is expected to be complete in 2 years.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-07-11-new-hanover-county-item-c-awarded.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

74/171FAN

Rocky Mount Telegram:  Construction of three bridges to resume in Edgecombe County

(Related to NC 97 and NC 111/NC 222)

QuoteConstruction will soon resume on three Edgecombe County bridges that have been out of service for as long as 15 months will soon resume, according to the state Department of Transportation.

Work was halted on the bridges in February when Kernersville-based National Bridge Builders removed its equipment and crews and abandoned the projects after the bridges has been removed.

In March, NCDOT terminated the contracts and declared the company in default – which placed the responsibility of getting the jobs completed on the bonding company, which has sued NBB in federal court in Asheville.

Replacement contractors have been secured to resume work on the three bridge projects.

According to a news release from NCDOT, the bonding company has recently notified the agency of the following replacement contractors and updated construction schedules for the affected sites:

Three bridges clustered together over Swift Creek on Seven Bridges Road in Edgecombe County.  S.T. Wooten Corp. will start in September and reopen the road by May 2023. Work on this project got underway on April 8, 2021, and was originally scheduled to be completed by Jan. 28, 2023.
N.C. 122/N.C. 111 bridge over Town Creek north of Pinetops in Edgecombe County. Sanford Contractors will start this month and reopen the road by March 2023. Demolition on the bridge began on July 19, 2021.
N.C. 97 over Swift Creek north of Tarboro in Edgecombe County. Sanford Contractors will begin this month and reopen the road by April 2023. The project originally got underway on July 19, 2021, and was scheduled to be completed on Dec. 28.
The news release noted that NCDOT rarely terminates a contract after it has been awarded and does so only after exhausting all efforts to keep the contractor on schedule. The agency requires bonding companies in its contracts to protect the taxpayers in the event of a breach of contract.

So hopefully I will finish clinching NC 97 eventually.   :wow:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ARMOURERERIC

IIRC, this the bunch that bailed on the sugar Hill Rd bridge over 40 in Marion, hopefully work can resume on that soon.

roadman65

Anyone know if NCDOT repaired the pothole over US 301 & 501 on I-95 SB near South of The Border?  I seen it goes completely through the bridge deck with a hole over US 301 & 501 in a FB post.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

I got clarification from NCDOT this morning that the US 401 Widening north of NC 96 is still planned to be completed by the end of November 2022.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

As part of the ongoing DDI conversion, the ramp from I-40 East to NC-42 south of Garner will close tonight at 9pm and reopen at 5am Monday.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-07-22-i-40-nc-42-garner-ramp-closed.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on July 22, 2022, 04:16:43 PM
As part of the ongoing DDI conversion, the ramp from I-40 East to NC-42 south of Garner will close tonight at 9pm and reopen at 5am Monday.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-07-22-i-40-nc-42-garner-ramp-closed.aspx
Perhaps this is one reason they haven't signed I-42 along the Bypass yet.  Might have been too confusing to some drivers being told take a detour on I-42 East to access NC 42.

kendallhart808

Quote from: bob7374 on July 22, 2022, 05:28:25 PM
Quote from: LM117 on July 22, 2022, 04:16:43 PM

Perhaps this is one reason they haven't signed I-42 along the Bypass yet.  Might have been too confusing to some drivers being told take a detour on I-42 East to access NC 42.

I feel like it's gonna be a little confusing for people who aren't very aware regardless, just because they have separate but different I-40 interchanges. One could make this case about US/I-74 but ultimately they'll really only (likely) diverge at one point. These are two completely different 42's, on two completely different roads, in really close proximity to each other and another Interstate.

CanesFan27

NCDOT and Wilmington officials to have further discussions on funding options for the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge Replacement project this coming Wednesday the 27th.

https://www.wwaytv3.com/wmpo-discusses-cape-fear-memorial-bridge-replacement-funding-options/

bob7374

cowboy_wilhelm

It looks like I-40 construction in Orange County may be ramping up soon. There are lots of survey stakes along the roadway, and some cones, barrels and portable DMS are beginning to show up.

fillup420

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on August 05, 2022, 08:39:15 AM
It looks like I-40 construction in Orange County may be ramping up soon. There are lots of survey stakes along the roadway, and some cones, barrels and portable DMS are beginning to show up.

I wish the solo I-85 section in Orange would get attention first. Its narrow and has several substandard ramps. I-40 is okay being 4 lanes total for the time being; at least its already built to modern geometry standards.

sprjus4

Quote from: fillup420 on August 05, 2022, 01:25:02 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on August 05, 2022, 08:39:15 AM

I wish the solo I-85 section in Orange would get attention first. Its narrow and has several substandard ramps. I-40 is okay being 4 lanes total for the time being; at least its already built to modern geometry standards.
It has to do with traffic volumes.

I-40 gets up to 64,000 AADT on the 4 lane section, I-85 only gets up to 46,000 AADT.

Ultimately, both corridors should be expanded to at least 6 lanes, but I-40 is a higher demand.

cowboy_wilhelm

Third summer taking photos of the Wade Ave. bridge being constructed at I-440.

In addition to being a tight radius, the future ramp to I-440 looks like it will be rather steep.... I'm guessing they will start to build up the grade a bit beneath the overpass.

cowboy_wilhelm

Upcoming public meetings for widening I-85 in Gaston County north/east of US 321. New project maps are available here. Estimated construction 2024-2030.

Mr. ENC

Idk if this has been posted but the exit numbers from 264 have been changed to match the new I-587 starting at the US 64 exit, even tho I-587 is only signed up to I-95.

The Ghostbuster

Wikipedia' Interstate 587 (North Carolina) page hasn't been updated yet to reflect the new exit numbers; neither has bob7374's "Interstate 587 in North Carolina" page. Both probably will be updated soon.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Mr. ENC on August 15, 2022, 01:56:17 PM
Idk if this has been posted but the exit numbers from 264 have been changed to match the new I-587 starting at the US 64 exit, even tho I-587 is only signed up to I-95.
This was posted earlier on the I-587 thread. Here's the NCDOT link:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-07-27-new-signs-future-i-587.aspx

WashuOtaku

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 15, 2022, 02:39:04 PM
Wikipedia' Interstate 587 (North Carolina) page hasn't been updated yet to reflect the new exit numbers; neither has bob7374's "Interstate 587 in North Carolina" page. Both probably will be updated soon.

That is because we do not have a source providing the new exit numbers yet. A lot of editors, myself included, use official NCDOT GIS/Maps, news articles, or Google Streetview, none of which have shown the new exit numbers yet. Anyone can of course add them, but a source of validation helps greatly.

bob7374

Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 17, 2022, 08:59:46 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 15, 2022, 02:39:04 PM
That is because we do not have a source providing the new exit numbers yet. A lot of editors, myself included, use official NCDOT GIS/Maps, news articles, or Google Streetview, none of which have shown the new exit numbers yet. Anyone can of course add them, but a source of validation helps greatly.
Of course, if anyone is driving in the area and wants to document the new exit numbers, I would be happy to have the information to add to my exit list.

D-Dey65

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.