News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Why Are Interstates Concrete Facilities In Urban Areas?

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, October 07, 2017, 11:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on October 10, 2017, 12:23:10 PM
I am thinking of NY 85, an urban freeway in western Albany.  It was concrete that aged over time.  Due to the enormous expense of replacing the concrete, the very much needed project was delayed a few years until NYSDOT could find finding at the department level.  The decision was made to crack and seat a new asphalt roadway above the pulverized old concrete
The problem with looking at lifecycle of concrete is that, up here, concrete does not age well.  The "panels" go out of alignment; the cracks get milled or filled.  It becomes terrible to drive on and the large expense to replace it does become problematic.
So, you go the asphalt route because it is easier for a NYSDOT region to fit a few-million dollar project into its program to maintain the asphalt than it is to find tens of millions at once when the situation becomes dire with concrete.  It is not like a region can "save up" funds from one year to the next for one big project by bringing the rest of its program to a screeching halt.  "Sorry, we aren't doing much this year to save up for the big concrete replacement" just doesn't fly politically and actually isn't supported by engineering merit, either -- your regional conditions go kaput with that approach.
Just saying that, given all the raving about concrete in here, soil conditions, climate effects and the replacement costs (in terms of how to fit them into a budget) should not be minimized when determining to apply concrete or asphalt to solve a problem.

This is the problem with concrete pavement everywhere, not just high volume roads and not just in northern climates.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

jakeroot

Pink Jazz

For the Phoenix area, ADOT uses concrete with a rubberized asphalt overlay.

jakeroot

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 11, 2017, 11:49:39 PM
For the Phoenix area, ADOT uses concrete with a rubberized asphalt overlay.

If I'm not mistaken, Arizona has won some awards for the quality of its freeways. Thinking it's attributable to that rubberized asphalt overlay. Stunningly quiet.

adventurernumber1

I have actually noticed that this does not happen all the time. For example, in the Atlanta Metro Area, there is a lot of stretches of Interstate that use concrete, but there is also a bunch that use asphalt - as a matter of fact, most of the stretches of Highway with the most lanes have asphalt (e.g., Interstate 75 just north of I-285 northwest of Atlanta, I-285 between I-75 & I-85 north of Atlanta, the Downtown Connector (I-75/I-85), and much of I-85 northeast of Atlanta and I-285 - as well as I-75 from I-285 south to I-85 in downtown Atlanta). But this is just in the Atlanta area. There are also some notable concrete sections, such as most of I-75 in Acworth, Kennesaw, and Marietta, some of I-75 south of I-285 south of Atlanta, much of I-85 southwest of I-285 southwest of Atlanta, and much of Interstate 285 throughout its path, with much on the west side of the beltway and much on the east side as well.

Also, Georgia actually has a lot of rural interstate mileage that is concrete - this includes examples such as pretty much the entirety of Interstate 16, most of Interstate 20 in the state, and about half of Interstate 75 in southern Georgia (with I-75 from the Florida line to Macon intermittently alternating between concrete and asphalt, after it has been widened recently).

On the other hand, Tennessee doesn't use concrete all that much (it uses asphalt for most things from my personal observations), but where it does use concrete is practically all in urban areas. At this moment, I actually cannot think of a single stretch of rural interstate in Tennessee that has concrete, except for many of the exit ramps (that have very old concrete). There are some concrete urban freeways in Tennessee's largest cities, such as Interstate 75 in most of Chattanooga, TN, Interstate 65 throughout a good bit of Nashville, and more that I cannot recall right this second.

I do know that concrete lasts much longer than asphalt, albeit it is much more expensive, and it may be harder to repair.

Quote from: roadfro on October 09, 2017, 03:11:43 AM

You're pretty spot on, Jake.

Pavement designs are based on traffic counts, which are converted into equivalent single axle loads or ESALs (passenger cars count as 2 ESALs, but truck traffic is much more based on length and weight). Pavement is then designed to withstand a certain amount of ESALs over the design lifespan given the projected traffic counts. It then comes down to a benefit-cost analysis to figure out whether Portland Cement Concrete (PCC) or asphalt concrete is used. PCC (which most of us refer to as simply "concrete") is a rigid pavement designed typically to last 30+ years without major work, whereas asphalt is a flexible pavement design that is expected to deform slightly over time and need occasional mill & fill and/or overlays over a similar timeframe.

B/c analysis tends to favor PCC pavements in urban areas based on projected ESALs, usually because asphalt is expected to deform more quickly on urban freeways with higher traffic within the design life. B/c also factors in things like rising cost of cement or steel for PCC pavements or rising cost of petroleum or binders for asphalt. So sometimes you might end up with an urban freeway composed of asphalt if there's a lower traffic level expected or if gas prices are on a downward trend.

Thank you very much for that information! It was very interesting and informative.  :nod:  :thumbsup:

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 09, 2017, 12:05:31 PM
i think a major reason is the original interstates were all in concrete (i think this fact is true, but i could be wrong)

I think that you are correct. My maternal grandfather was on the Planning Comission for Rome, Georgia a few decades ago, and he has told me many interesting things about roads and highways. I remember that I learned something for the first time several years ago, when he told me that all interstate highways originally had concrete when they were first built - I take his word as true. Also, while off-topic to this discussion, something very intriguing is that my grandfather, when on the planning commission, actually somewhat helped shape the way that a new interstate was to be built. As he told me, back in the 1970's or so, there was big talk to have a new interstate corridor connecting Atlanta and Memphis, that was to also pass through Huntsville, AL and Rome, GA, but he said that he didn't want the interstate to specifically go through Rome, as he didn't think that it was the right decision. Now, there is an interstate corridor connecting Atlanta and Memphis, and it goes through Birmingham - which happens to be some of I-20 and the entirety of I-22.  :spin:

Quote from: cjk374 on October 09, 2017, 12:30:38 PM
Quote from: Beltway on October 09, 2017, 06:55:00 AM
<<< PCC (which most of us refer to as simply "concrete") is a rigid pavement designed typically to last 30+ years without major work, >>>

How often does that happen?  Based on over 40 years of observation, that may happen on a segment about 15 or 20% of the time.  Often major patching work (remove and replace slab) starts after 10 to 15 years.

Right now I know of 4 (maybe 5) places on I-20 in Louisiana that were rebuilt with concrete in the mid 80s & early 90s that are intact with no reworked places. I believe the concrete mixes of the 60s & 70s are not as durable as the mixes of the 80s & 90s.

But to be fair, I have seen concrete fail after less than 10 years due to bad ingredients.

I think it is a pretty reasonable statement to say that concrete should typically last 30 or more years. While this isn't an interstate, or a limited-access road of any kind for that matter, US 41/US 76/GA 3, which is the North Bypass of Dalton, Georgia, was opened in 1987 (according to my paternal grandfather). I believe there had been not much, if any at all, patching done on the road (which is concrete) up until about 2016 or 2017. The western part of the road is really busy (the section west of GA SR 71) and has traffic counts up to 30,000 VPD and above, so the road is pretty heavily traveled, relative to its size and location (with Dalton being a fair-sized city with a population of 33-or-34,000 people) - as a result this western section has seen the most patching in the last year, while the eastern section (of the North Bypass that carries US Highway 76 - there is a "South Bypass" that carries just US 41/GA 3 that is asphalt the whole way, which is south of GA SR 52) has seen a little bit, but minimal patching and work done - but even the busy, western section of the North Bypass, to my knowledge and memory, had no patching or work done up until as recent as 2016 or so. Also, if it matters, the patching that has been done on US 41/US 76/GA 3 has been all concrete (if there was any asphalt patching, it was very little, and I never noticed it).

Quote from: cjk374 on October 09, 2017, 06:17:14 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on October 09, 2017, 02:01:17 PM
I wish all interstates were concrete, they always seem to be better. 

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :nod:

I actually have a lot of love for both asphalt and concrete roads. Concrete roads can definitely be nice - while annoyingly noisy to some people, I actually love the sound of driving on concrete; it is so fun to me, and as a young child I would do "roadgeeking" in the grocery store, and whenever I would go across a "bridge" or a "section of road with concrete," I would make audible "clunkety-clunk" or "screeching concrete" sounds and more. It was so freakin cool! I actually really like the contrast striping that is used on concrete roads as well. Also, while not for actual roads, my uncle pours concrete for residential and commercial property, which is so unbelieveably cool to me!!  :nod:  :hyper:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

bing101

I-305 aka west end of US-50 in West Sacramento is changing from rough asphalt to concrete for durability.

However Solano County section of I-80 a few years ago was concrete but was changed to asphalt due to budget priorities at the time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.