News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest route you’ve seen both ends of

Started by fillup420, October 23, 2017, 10:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

For me its US 64. I have seen the east end on the Outer Banks of NC several times, and I passed the west end coming down US 160 from Colorado last December.

jaehak

Probably I-70 for me. It's certainly the longest road I've clinched.

roadman

Longest route I've seen both ends of as a driver is I-84.  Longest route I've seen both ends of as a passenger is I-89.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

I was going to say I-75. I haven't clinched it (only state in which I've travelled all of it is Florida), but I've been to both ends–the Florida end multiple times, the Michigan/Ontario end on a family vacation in 1987 that saw us visit Isle Royale and then Manitoulin, followed by the ferry to the Bruce Peninsula and on down through Ontario on the way home.

But then fillup420's post prompted me to look up the exact locations of the ends of US-64 and I realized I've been to both ends of that as well, so US-64 it is. Again, not nearly a clinch.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

The longest route off the top of my head that I've driven to both ends of is MN-200, all 201 miles of it. I cannot think of any longer state routes (I haven't hit both ends of either MN-1 or MN-23), and there hasn't been any US or Interstate (2di ones, I mean) routes that I've driven to both ends of.

Edit: actually, scratch MN-200. MN-65 wins at this, being 272 miles long.

Max Rockatansky

I-10 which also happens to be my longest route clinch as well.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Well, that's just like your opinion man...

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

signalman

I-81, which I have a complete southbound clinch of and nearly a complete northbound clinch (I'm missing about 80 miles in VA and between I-80 and I-84/380 in PA).  Thanks in part to the two three fore-mentioned Interstates, I never have a reason to use that section when traveling to/from home.

Edited to add: I forgot, I have seen both ends of a longer route.  I've seen both ends of I-10.  I don't nearly have the route clinched, but I have driven the eastern terminus and I've seen the western terminus as a passenger.  I've never driven in California.  The last time I was in CA I wasn't old enough to drive.

sparker

I-80.  Clinched the west end (east from terminus to Reno) countless years ago; clinched the east end in 1988 (from I-287 east to its terminus).  Did the rest in one fell swoop in the spring of 1989, west-to-east, Sacramento to NJ.  Actually, one of the best road trips I ever did; set no speed records -- did it in 4 1/2 days.

dfilpus

US 50. I've driven less than ten miles on the highway in both Sacramento and Ocean City.

TheStranger

I-80 because of several vacations to the NYC area (though I haven't been on it between Cheyenne and New Jersey).

Chris Sampang

spooky

I thought the answer was I-90, but I just learned that it has since been extended in Seattle beyond the western terminus that I drove in 1999.

21stCenturyRoad

I've seen the both ends of I-10 and I-40. I've also seen both ends of Route 66 if that counts nowadays ;-)
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

hbelkins

I've been to both ends of US 64 as well, but certainly don't have it clinched.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

I-70, which also happens to be my longest clinch as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Mapmikey

Notable ones where I do not have a clinch of the entire route:

I-40
US 11
US 30
US 40
US 52
US 64
US 70
US 80
US 89
US 90

Eth

Does it have to be signed? Because if not, I think it might be FL 93.

For fully-signed routes, I can't think of anything longer than I-16. Sadly, I took I-295 around Jacksonville last summer instead of going straight through, otherwise I'd have the obvious answer of I-10.

PHLBOS

I-90 in MA & WA (nowhere near clinched).

Longest route clinched: I-495 in MA.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

renegade

I have seen both ends of US-127, but have only traveled the portion from I-75 in Michigan to I-70 in Ohio, and from its junction with US-27 in Chattanooga to the town of Signal Mountain.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

roadman65

I-10 I have seen its east end and west ends even though I have not yet clinched it all.    Seen both terminuses of I-75 but need to clinch the interstate between I-94 and US 127 in MI as the rest of it is done.

Also I have seen both ends of I-55, but not yet clinched it, and I-65 I have also seen both ends where I did clinch it through KY and TN and parts of IN and most of AL.

Oh, yes I-85 as I have driven through Petersburg, VA plenty of times on I-95 and I drove I-65 through Montgomery, AL.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

I-90 on separate vacations to Seattle and Boston.

formulanone

Quote from: Big John on October 23, 2017, 03:05:18 PM
I-90 on separate vacations to Seattle and Boston.

Same here, but nowhere near clinching it.

I think US 27 might be the longest north-south route I've seen both ends of. I know I've driven through the "north"  end of US 101 in Olympia, but can't quite confirm if I've driven along its southern terminus.

My longest entire-route clinch is I-59, although I've driven much more continuous distance of I-95, I-75; and maybe I-40 and I-20.

kphoger

Cool topic!

For me, it's probably I-44 (634 miles), and second place might be US-400 (481 miles).
I've really never kept track of this stuff, though, so I might be wrong.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ekt8750

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.