News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest Stretch of 6-Lane Freeway

Started by webny99, October 31, 2017, 12:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What is the longest continuous stretch of six-lane freeway in the country?

I-71 from Cleveland to Columbus is the longest that I am currently aware of, but I hope (and am fairly certain) that I will be informed that there are longer. If it drops below six lanes at all, even if it's just through an interchange, you have to reset the clock.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Occidental Tourist

I-15 from San Diego to Barstow is longer by about 35 miles.

But there's got to be a mid-Atlantic stretch of I-95 that's longer than that.  Or possibly that stretch of I-75 between Atlanta and Ocala, if somebody can confirm that it's six lanes all the way.

Roadsguy

Do segments in the middle of eight or more count as breaking it?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Max Rockatansky

Isn't I-95 six lanes from Savannah south to Miami or is still some four-lane sections in Florida I'm forgetting about?

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 31, 2017, 08:07:06 AM
Isn't I-95 six lanes from Savannah south to Miami or is still some four-lane sections in Florida I'm forgetting about?

As of this July, there was still widening in progress south of Melbourne and north of Fort Pierce where it was four lanes. Don't know whether it's done yet.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 31, 2017, 07:28:07 AM
Do segments in the middle of eight or more count as breaking it?

I'm not the OP, but I assume the spirit of the thread is about highways with more than two lanes in each direction.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

Flint1979

Quote from: NE2 on October 31, 2017, 01:04:18 AM
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1833
I saw a reply on that post that is wrong. Someone said that I-75 between Bay City, MI and the Ohio Turnpike is 6+ lanes all the way through. Although there is a four mile stretch between milemarkers 115 and 111 just outside of Flint where I-75 goes down to 4 lanes. It loses a lane at the I-475 interchange and picks the lane back up when US 23 merges into I-75 and vice versa going the other direction.

westerninterloper

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 31, 2017, 01:49:37 PM
I saw a reply on that post that is wrong. Someone said that I-75 between Bay City, MI and the Ohio Turnpike is 6+ lanes all the way through. Although there is a four mile stretch between milemarkers 115 and 111 just outside of Flint where I-75 goes down to 4 lanes. It loses a lane at the I-475 interchange and picks the lane back up when US 23 merges into I-75 and vice versa going the other direction.

The six-laning is creeping south, from Perrysburg to about three miles north of Findlay, OH. The last few miles, down to the OH15 (Columbus route) interchange should be complete in the next 12 months.

With that complete, the 6-lane section from Findlay to Bay City (minus a few small gaps) is 212 miles; the section from Troy OH to southern KY is 219 miles.

If the remaining four-land section between Findlay (exit 156) to Troy (exit 74) were complete (about 80 miles) I-75 would be six lanes with a couple of short breaks from Bay City MI through Flint, Detroit, Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, and Lexington to about KY MM 65, north of the Kentucky-TN border, +/- 513 miles total.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

epzik8

I-95 is no fewer than three lanes in each direction all 109 miles in Maryland from the Wilson Bridge to Elkton. Also, from the I-85 split at Petersburg, Virginia to the Virginia side of the Wilson Bridge, and up to the I-495 split in Wilmington, Delaware.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

PHLBOS

Quote from: epzik8 on October 31, 2017, 02:07:29 PM
I-95 is no fewer than three lanes in each direction all 109 miles in Maryland from the Wilson Bridge to Elkton.
There's a hiccup at the I-95/495/Capitol Beltway interchange in Maryland.

Quote from: epzik8 on October 31, 2017, 02:07:29 PMAlso, from the I-85 split at Petersburg, Virginia to the Virginia side of the Wilson Bridge, and up to the I-495 split in Wilmington, Delaware.
There two hiccups that I'm aware of along that stretch; both of them involve I-95 connections to the Capitol Beltway: the fore-mentioned one in Maryland and I-95/395/495/Capitol Beltway interchange in Virginia.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

^ There's also a northbound hiccup at I-295 north of Richmond.

Chris

This section of G4 Beijing - Hong Kong / Macau Expressway (also known as the Jinggang'ao Expressway) has been expanded to eight lanes throughout. The eight lane section is 1162 km / 722 miles long.

This section from Beijing to Wuhan connects three provinces and one capital city with a combined population of 250 million.

formulanone

I-75 from Macon, Georgia to Florida's Turnpike has 312 miles of six-laned interstate.

I-95 from the Georgia-South Carolina state line to I-395 in Miami has at least six lanes, but there may be some construction zones. That would be 484 miles.

RobbieL2415

I-287 (98 mi) and I-495 (103.5 mi) are the longest near my neck of the woods.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jdb1234

Quote from: formulanone on October 31, 2017, 05:02:59 PM
I-75 from Macon, Georgia to Florida's Turnpike has 312 miles of six-laned interstate.

When the current construction projects are finished, I-75 will be six lanes all the way to Exit 101 in Naples.

kkt

Another post on that thread was wrong, I-5 in Washington narrows to 2 lanes each way in downtown Seattle.

dvferyance

I-90 will soon be 6 lanes from Portage WI to Portage IN that is about 200 miles.

froggie

QuoteAnother post on that thread was wrong, I-5 in Washington narrows to 2 lanes each way in downtown Seattle.

Not if one includes the Express Lanes and the northbound C/D road through the I-90 interchange.

kkt

The express lanes are not always open, and when they are open they are only open one direction.

I think you mean the southbound I-90 C/D, but getting off the mainline at an exit and getting right back on doesn't count as a lane.

froggie

Doesn't matter if the Express Lanes are omni-directional and not always open...they are still through lanes.

I specifically mentioned the northbound C/D road because northbound does drop to 2 mainline lanes between the Express Lane entrance and where the northbound C/D road from I-90 merges just before the tunnel.

sparker

The longest continual stretch of 6+ lanes in Northern California is actually a combination of 3 routes:  US 101, I-80, and US 50.  Caltrans' (and its predecessor's) extensive use of TOTSO's for specific route continuation while maintaining multiple through lanes makes this possible.  Specifically, the 6-lane stretch begins at MP 355 on US 101 immediately south of Gilroy, extends through S.F. onto I-80, continues east over the Bay Bridge, curving north on I-80 through the 80/580/880 interchange (the 3 through lanes here include the HOV lane).  From there it remains on I-80 into West Sacramento, where I-80 turns off (via a 2-lane ramp), but the main 3+3 continue east on US 50 to where it finally reduces to 2+2 at Cameron Park.  It's 78 miles on US 101, 82 miles on I-80, and another 32 miles along US 50 for a grand total of 192 continuous 6+-lane miles.  If it weren't for the 2+2 along I-80 through the West Sacramento interchange, the length would have been about 206 miles, considering the east end of the 6-lane I-80 segment between Auburn and Colfax.     

Roadgeekteen

I-95 from RI 4 to Portland is pretty long.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.