News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

aaroads.com topics in 1964

Started by kphoger, October 31, 2017, 01:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.ron

I-40 construction moving along in New Mexico.
I-40 in New Mexico: most towns and cities will not be bypassed until the mid 1970's amid backlash. (San Jon)
US 66 in California: New stretch from Victorville to Barstow a joy to drive to be I-15 in the future.
US 66 in California: no longer reaches Santa Monica. Its new western terminus is in Pasadena.
Freeways in Southern California coming along nicely.
I-5 in Southern California: to be completed soon from Oceanside to San Diego!
I-40 in Arizona: Selignman won't be bypassed until late 1970's.
I-40 in Arizona: Williams won't be bypassed for another 20 years. Winslow and Holbrook to be bypassed by mid-late 1970's.
Old 66 in Arizona: Oatman still attracting tourists despite narrow, dangerous and twisty road!
US 66 in Arizona: falling rocks a concern on the stretch of road southwest of Kingman.

mgk920

Does anyone else think that it's an awful idea to remove the silver from the USA's coinage?

Mike

TheStranger

Route 24 Truncated To Less Than Half Its Length

Golden Gate Bridge Double Deck Proposals

480 extension - tunnel or viaduct?

How well-signed is Business US 50 in Oakland

Bypass US 50 in Sacramento decommissioned
Chris Sampang

Beltway

Quote from: mgk920 on November 08, 2017, 04:26:49 PM
Does anyone else think that it's an awful idea to remove the silver from the USA's coinage?
Mike

Perhaps, but the amount of silver was close to what the coins were worth.  What would a quarter's silver be worth today ... $5?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

mgk920

Quote from: Beltway on November 08, 2017, 04:34:51 PM
Mike

Perhaps, but the amount of silver was close to what the coins were worth.  What would a quarter's silver be worth today ... $5?

(Others)

- Am I not the only one in here who has a really bad feeling about this entire 'Great Society' thing that LBJ is talking about?  (Great thread-closer for back in 1964! :rolleyes: )

- BTW, any thoughts on this new guy in charge in the Soviet Union, Leonid Brezhnev?

- Are there any other Catholics in here who are upset at the Vatican for dropping Latin from the Mass and moving the altar to that front-center position (among other things)?

- I have a baaaad feeling about the Packers this year, seven games into the season (end of October) and they're now 3-4 after that 27 - 17 loss to the Rams in Milwaukee.   :-(

- That intersection at U.S.H. 41 and S.T.H. 125 (College Ave) west of Appleton, Wisc. has been getting NASTY in the past few years with all of that new development in that commercial area.  When is the state going to be able to upgrade it (an interchange would be nice!)?

- Wisconsin is finally going to eliminate that two-lane drawbridge in the U.S.H. 41 Big Lake Butte des Morts causeway in Oshkosh, upgrading both that as well as the two lane part from Kaukauna to De Pere, Wisc. to four lanes.  Some weekends in summer the backups from that drawbridge when it opens to let boats pass can be well over five miles long.

Mike

capt.ron

Mid-South -> US 67 in Arkansas: 4 lane section to open up soon to Lonoke County line!
US 67 in Arkansas: how long before the 4 lane reaches Searcy?
US 66 in Texas: old 2 lane section in Conway to be bypassed, thereby making US 66 4 lanes throughout the state.
US 66 in Texas: "We will not build frontage roads for a small section of 66 east of Glenrio", says TxDOT.
Mountain West ->
US 66 to get new 4 lane bridge over the Colorado River, slated to open up in mid 1966!
US 666 in Arizona: how unsafe is the highway?
US 66 from Glenrio to Tucumcari one of the worst stretches of the highway. NMSHD says the road won't be upgraded since I-40 will be built nearby in the future.
Off topic ->
Any of you stayed at the Blue Swallow Court in Tucumcari?
Regular or Ethyl for your vehicle?

US71

Quote from: capt.ron on November 09, 2017, 12:42:50 AM
Mid-South -> US 67 in Arkansas: 4 lane section to open up soon to Lonoke County line!
US 66 in Texas: old 2 lane section in Conway to be bypassed, thereby making US 66 4 lanes throughout the state.
US 66 in Texas: "We will not build frontage roads for a small section of 66 east of Glenrio", says TxDOT.
Mountain West ->
US 66 to get new 4 lane bridge over the Colorado River, slated to open up in mid 1966!
US 66 from Glenrio to Tucumcari one of the worst stretches of the highway. NMSHD says the road won't be upgraded since I-40 will be built nearby in the future.
Off topic ->

Who's Ethyl? We have Regular and Premium
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Mike

I like silver coins better than cupronickel coins, but I understand why they changed it.

Quote from: Beltway on November 08, 2017, 04:34:51 PM

As of November 9, 2017, the melt value of a silver quarter is $3.08.

hotdogPi

(since I seem to have nowhere else to put this, as "threads you'll never see" was locked)

aaroads.com topics in Nineteen Eighty-Four
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Takumi

Quote from: 1 on November 10, 2017, 05:30:04 PM
(since I seem to have nowhere else to put this, as "threads you'll never see" was locked)

We have always been at war with US 301.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on November 10, 2017, 05:30:04 PM

Brought to you by Victory Gin:

Double-plus good roads permitting SpeedThink thanks to temporary MiniTrans error.

Drink more of that refreshing Victory Gin

US71

Are there any wig-wag signals left? I think I saw one in Missouri.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

Quote from: US71 on November 11, 2017, 11:04:21 AM
Are there any wig-wag signals left? I think I saw one in Missouri.

Plenty on the old SP branches in the San Joaquin Valley (now owned by several independent regional RR's), particularly on secondary roads.  All state highways and major county arterials have been long converted to gates.  As they stop working (just like old RR semaphore signals, the parts availability is "machine it yourself"), they're simply replaced with crossbucks.

capt.ron

Quote from: US71 on November 09, 2017, 10:18:15 AM
Quote from: capt.ron on November 09, 2017, 12:42:50 AM
Mountain West ->
Off topic ->

Who's Ethyl? We have Regular and Premium
Ethyl was a grade of gasoline back in the day that contained extra tetraethyl lead. (for those that don't know). More info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_Corporation

theroadwayone

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 31, 2017, 09:03:06 PM

Which temporary endpoint of I-70 looks better?

Why do you have to do this to me?

US 81

Isn't gas getting expensive? The other day I saw a station selling at $0.19/gallon! Highway Robbery!!

Desert Man

Imagine 1964 when it was a tough world for Gay men.

A male user receives a PM from a "friend" who lives in Los Angeles.

"hey, I know who you are, I am too" said the PM.

"How...and where do I find you...and what have to meet you there?" said the user.

"This: the first guide made for us - https://damron.com/product-category/damron-travel-guides (now in its 53rd year), the L.A. area's bars, clubs, hotels, restaurants and other places to meet, I know some places in West Hollywood, Long Beach, Laguna Beach, san Diego and Palm Springs, it's like the Green book by black motorists, but our time will come...perhaps the 21st century. Please pass this on to others you know".

In 1964, there were still places which refuse service to anyone they suspect are Jewish, as well Armenian (here in CA), Mexican or Latino, Chinese and Japanese, and Native American or Hawaiian. We may look back to the past as a "golden age", "happy days" or "innocence Lost", but there was more discrimination (also encountered by Women), prejudice (esp. Blacks), marginalization (the disabled), and intolerance (i.e. LGBT people) in American society back then.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.