News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Transcontinental Distance Signs

Started by OCGuy81, November 09, 2017, 12:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

I-90 (east end), no
I-80 (east end), I don't believe so
I-95 (north end), no

As far as the New England-based interstates (I-84, I-89, I-91, I-93), no

Bickendan

For I-5, what would/should be used?
Blaine/San Ysidro (San Diego)
Vancouver/Tijuana

TheHighwayMan3561

If we did I-70 style signs on I-35 I would go with:

NB:
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Kansas City
Twin Cities
Duluth

SB:
Des Moines
Kansas City
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Laredo

Sorry, OKC.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on November 11, 2017, 05:22:16 PM
As far as the New England-based interstates (I-84, I-89, I-91, I-93), no

It's logical that those Interstates don't have signs, as none of them are transcontinental.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

US 89

It's too bad Utah doesn't do this, since they have two great opportunities: I-70 for Baltimore (2151 mi) and US 40 for Atlantic City NJ (2285 mi). There is a distance sign at the western terminus of US 40, but the farthest distance is Denver (464 mi, IIRC).

kkt

Quote from: Bickendan on November 11, 2017, 09:52:54 PM
Vancouver/Tijuana

I-5 is only in the U.S., so I'd use the last U.S. city on each end.  San Ysidro is a district, not a city.  So,
Blaine WA/San Diego CA.

sparker

Quote from: kkt on November 12, 2017, 12:29:57 PM
Vancouver/Tijuana

I-5 is only in the U.S., so I'd use the last U.S. city on each end.  San Ysidro is a district, not a city.  So,
Blaine WA/San Diego CA.

Since central San Diego is about 15 miles north of the border, I'd add a line on each sign indicating "I-5, the only Border-to-Border Interstate Highway", then cite the total mileage of the route itself with the aforementioned San Diego and Blaine as the reference locations. 

ilpt4u

If/when I-69 is actually complete from Border to Border, in anyone's lifetime...

Port Huron having mileage posted to Brownsville, McAllen, and Laredo...

And in those 3 Texas cities, mileage to Port Huron

Would be a nice touch

vdeane

I-69 doesn't reach the border.  Mile 0 is at the I-69E/W split.  I-69C will never reach the border, I-69E is unlikely to (would require removing an at-grade), and I'm not sure what's going on with I-69W (Wikipedia says it reaches the border, but TravelMapping has it stopping short; I sincerely hope TM is right on this, because it's otherwise unclinchable due to the bridge being trucks-only).

As for I-5, I'd use Vancouver/Tijuana.  It ends at the Tijuana city line and the freeway (at-grade and crosswalk aside) continues to Vancouver even if it's BC 99.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: vdeane on November 12, 2017, 07:55:00 PM
I-69 doesn't reach the border.  Mile 0 is at the I-69E/W split.  I-69C will never reach the border, I-69E is unlikely to (would require removing an at-grade), and I'm not sure what's going on with I-69W (Wikipedia says it reaches the border, but TravelMapping has it stopping short; I sincerely hope TM is right on this, because it's otherwise unclinchable due to the bridge being trucks-only).

Discussed in detail in the "I-69 in TX" thread on Mid-South. The AASHTO application for I-69W specifies that it stops short of the border, at the turnaround point before traffic reaches the toll booths on the U.S. side of the bridge. That's where TM placed the endpoint. Ditto for US 59, though that route does reach the Canadian border (at a user-friendly border crossing in Minnesota).

Aside from the truck-only restriction, the bridge is closed in off-peak hours, like on the Sunday afternoon when I drove to the closure gate at the turnaround point.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kkt

Quote from: sparker on November 12, 2017, 07:12:16 PM
Vancouver/Tijuana
Blaine WA/San Diego CA.
Since central San Diego is about 15 miles north of the border, I'd add a line on each sign indicating "I-5, the only Border-to-Border Interstate Highway", then cite the total mileage of the route itself with the aforementioned San Diego and Blaine as the reference locations. 

San Ysidro is inside San Diego City Limits, so calling it San Diego is reasonable.
But I suppose the sign could say "Begin I-5 south/Mexico Border 1381 miles"

Bickendan

Quote from: kkt on November 12, 2017, 09:01:10 PM
Quote from: sparker on November 12, 2017, 07:12:16 PM
Vancouver/Tijuana
Blaine WA/San Diego CA.

San Ysidro is inside San Diego City Limits, so calling it San Diego is reasonable.
But National City and Chula Vista are between San Diego proper and San Ysidro.

oscar

Quote from: Bickendan on November 12, 2017, 09:53:44 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 12, 2017, 09:01:10 PM

But National City and Chula Vista are between San Diego proper and San Ysidro.

San Diego's tentacles extend a long way from the city center. One of them reaches through the bay to San Ysidro, bypassing National City and Chula Vista, as well as Coronado and Imperial Beach.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

theroadwayone

Quote from: Jim on November 09, 2017, 07:38:53 PM
Quote from: sparker on November 09, 2017, 06:44:16 PM
There used to be a roadside BGS at the beginning of I-10 in Santa Monica labeling that route as the "Christopher Columbus Highway", followed by a separate sign citing the distance to Jacksonville, FL.  Haven't been on that road for 7-8 years; wondering if any SoCal posters know whether either or both are still there.

I'm not a SoCal poster and haven't been there at all in 10 years, but here's what I saw the time I drove the westernmost piece of I-10 on February 19, 2007.  I don't recall a distance to Jax being posted, but I am confident that I would have managed a picture if one existed at that time.

I'm sure that that should include something that says "Jacksonville FL 2,460 Miles" and something showing that same distance to LA in JAX.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.