News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

AARoads Topics in 1926

Started by US71, November 11, 2017, 11:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

I can't get used to these new highways: 66, 71, 60, 40

What happened to Jefferson Highway or Lincoln Highway or Dixie Highway, or Ozark Trail? How will I know where I'm going?

(a somewhat tongue-in-cheek salute to the 91st Anniversary of the US Highway System)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Desert Man

A few miles south of the new US 60 is a new hotel known as the La Quinta. US 60 crosses the booming desert town of 1,000 residents - Indio CA - in the desert known as the Coachella valley. But the Bradshaw trail (Box Canyon Road from the Salton sea to where CA SR 62 is now) is the only east-west route, a new route between Coachella and Blythe has to be built.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

CNGL-Leudimin

I was thinking of creating an "AARoads threads over the years" thread, spanning from the creation of the US routes to now. IMO 1926 should be the earliest reasonable date for this forum to occur (technologies aside).
Quote from: Desert Man on November 11, 2017, 11:11:49 AM
A few miles south of the new US 99 is a new hotel known as the La Quinta. US 99 crosses the booming desert town of 1,000 residents - Indio CA - in the desert known as the Coachella valley. But the Bradshaw trail (Box Canyon Road from the Salton sea to where CA SR 62 is now) is the only east-west route, a new route between Coachella and Blythe has to be built.

FTFY. US 60 at first ended at Springfield MO. US 70 wasn't there either, ending at Holbrook AZ. On the other hand, US 99 was there from day one.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US71

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 11, 2017, 12:39:55 PM
I was thinking of creating an "AARoads threads over the years" thread, spanning from the creation of the US routes to now. IMO 1926 should be the earliest reasonable date for this forum to occur (technologies aside).
Quote from: Desert Man on November 11, 2017, 11:11:49 AM
A few miles south of the new US 99 is a new hotel known as the La Quinta. US 99 crosses the booming desert town of 1,000 residents - Indio CA - in the desert known as the Coachella valley. But the Bradshaw trail (Box Canyon Road from the Salton sea to where CA SR 62 is now) is the only east-west route, a new route between Coachella and Blythe has to be built.

FTFY. US 60 at first ended at Springfield MO. US 70 wasn't there either, ending at Holbrook AZ. On the other hand, US 99 was there from day one.

Did you know US 60 was originally planned to go to Chicago?

Takumi

Whose idea was it to number a US highway 17-1?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Quote from: Takumi on November 11, 2017, 01:29:12 PM

Where is this? Louisiana has a US 171 (no hyphen)

CNGL-Leudimin

In VA and NC, though its exact routing escapes at the moment. What I remember, is that it links US 17 and US 1, so it may have been numbered because of that. Also, IMO US 217 should be numbered US 117-1 as it connects to US 17-1 but not US 17.
Quote from: US71 on November 11, 2017, 12:47:32 PM
Did you know US 60 was originally planned to go to Chicago?

Yup, and in the end it has been established as US 66 instead, while US 60 now runs from Virginia to Springfield MO. I hope they soon extend it to the West Coast, it is insulting for an US x0 to end halfway through the continent. Then there are US 10 and US 90, but they cannot get further because of Canada and Mexico respectively.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

capt.ron

Oatman, AZ to benefit from a US highway.

Takumi

Quote from: US71 on November 11, 2017, 01:52:34 PM

What is now US 301 between Petersburg, VA and Wilson, NC (with a bypassed alignment north of Stony Creek) and US 117.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

GaryV

Heard in Michigan and Wisconsin:  Crud, the feds finally got their act together.  Now we have to renumber all those highways.

US71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 11, 2017, 10:52:08 PM
Off topic: Stock market thread. 3 years after this the thread has a panic.

That belongs, as you said, in Off Topic

US 89

Quote from: Takumi on November 11, 2017, 02:40:41 PM
Quote from: US71 on November 11, 2017, 01:52:34 PM

What is now US 301 between Petersburg, VA and Wilson, NC (with a bypassed alignment north of Stony Creek) and US 117.

It was named 17-1 because it connected US 17 and US 1, not because it was a multiplex of the two routes.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: capt.ron on November 11, 2017, 02:36:56 PM
Oatman, AZ to benefit from a US highway.

Of course, the money is in Oatman up in the Black Mountains and not a railroad town like Yucca.

Rumors are abound about the new State Highway program in Arizona.  Word is that it will follow sequential numbering based off US Routes.

Your favorite Michigan State Trunklines.

Max Rockatansky

Favorite US Route Ferry crossing.  Mine is US 101 on the Hyde Street Pier.

What we're your favorite Auto Trails?

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 12, 2017, 09:41:39 AM
Favorite US Route Ferry crossing.  Mine is US 101 on the Hyde Street Pier.

What we're your favorite Auto Trails?

Jefferson and Lincoln. Also the Ozark Trail when I could make sense of it (damn you Coin Harvey).

kkt

Are we going to do these AARoads topics for every year?  Just wondering.

hbelkins

Quote from: kkt on November 12, 2017, 12:32:04 PM
Are we going to do these AARoads topics for every year?  Just wondering.

AA Roads topics in 0 A.D. -- Who here has clinched the Appian Way?  :bigass:

Seriously, I hope not. This fad has run its course.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Agreed with H.B. This thread was meant to be a parody, anyway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.