News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AARoads topics in 1975

Started by capt.ron, November 11, 2017, 03:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.ron

General ->
EPA mandates new emissions controls for vehicles, begins phase-out of leaded gasoline.
Traffic circles are the worst!
Crash prone traffic circles!
Off topic ->
My car, being strangled with new emissions equipment, performs poorly.
Fuel injection? When will most cars have it?
What is the price of gas in your area?
55 mph national speed limit is for losers!
When will cars get a 4th gear for automatics?
Why does unleaded gasoline cost more than regular?
Discount stores: are they a threat to five and dime stores?
Radial tires... who has them?

Pacific Southwest ->
US 66 decommissioned in California. US 66 ends at the Colorado River Bridge at the CA/AZ line.
California: Highway 58 slated to be upgraded to 4 lanes between Barstow and Bakersfield in phases. Upgrading will take a long time, however, says Caltrans.
California: I-15 section south of I-15E to California highway 60, formerly US 60, to open soon.
California: Amboy falls on hard times now that I-40 bypasses town to the north.
California: Truckers PRAISE the stretch of I-40 that opened recently between Ludlow and Mountain Springs Rd.
Mountain West ->
I-40 mostly complete in New Mexico. Gallup, Carnuel, and Tucumcari to be bypassed in 5 to 6 years.
US 66: 2 lane section east of Tucumcari to San Jon to be bypassed soon by I-40.
Arizona: section of I-10 opens west of Phoenix.
US 66: not to be bypassed by I-40 around Kingman for several more years.
US 66: Section from Kingman to Seligman beginning to get congested. I-40 won't bypass the old road for several more years.
I-40: Section west of Seligman to US 93 a challenge for road construction.
Mid-South ->
Mississippi eyes upgrade of US 78 from the state line to Alabama, slated to be a 4 lane controlled access highway. Current 2 lane is getting congested and dangerous.
Mississippi: no plans to upgrade US 72 at this time.
Arkansas: US 67 4 lane reaches Searcy, Arkansas.
The highway department is upgrading Main and Race Streets in the town to 4 lanes, except closer to downtown. Right now, ROW is being worked on. Highway department hopes to open a small 4 lane freeway section of US 67 to Race St by 1976.
Arkansas: US 67 4 lane to reach Bald Knob by late 1970's and Bradford by mid 1980's, says the highway department.
Arkansas: highway department decides on a path that future I-440 will take east of Little Rock. Construction to begin in 2-3 years.
Texas: I-40 to bypass Vega, Groom soon. Mclean will be bypassed last, says TxDOT. Old US 66 alignment is now a frontage road.
Texas: I-10 construction ongoing. Travelers hate the new 55 mph limit, saying it takes all day and most of the night to cross Texas via I-10 and various US highways.
Texas: motorists love the new controlled access portion of US 75 from McKinney, TX to the Dallas metro area. TxDOT plans to upgrade the remainder of US 75 to the Oklahoma border in the future.

CNGL-Leudimin

Franco dead, Juan Carlos crowned king of Spain, promises to restore democracy.

Now for something more on topic:
Why 55 when other countries allow 62?
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

theroadwayone

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 11, 2017, 04:10:54 PM
Franco dead, Juan Carlos crowned king of Spain, promises to restore democracy.

Now for something more on topic:
Why 55 when other countries allow 62?
"A few lives might be saved, but millions will be late for work."
-Homer Simpson.

Takumi

Off-topic: Front-wheel drive: passing fad or wave of the future?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

nexus73

What will truckers do if diesel ever gets to $1 a gallon? 
How many Super Bowls in a row can the Steelers win?
When will Caltrans complete I-5 from Sacramento to Stockton?
Will we ever see 70 MPH speed limits return?
Why can't we have it as good as we did in 1965?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

jp the roadgeek

Why do these new CT blue on white license plates fade so quickly?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Will I-291, I-491, or I-691 ever be completed?

What do you think of the new  "Mile X/ Exit X" signs on I-295 in RI?

Will I-484 replace Morgan St as the preferred connection from I-84 East to I-91 North?

What is the ETA for the completion of I-84 to Providence?  I mean, we have these 2 little orphaned sections in Manchester and Windham.

The Bradley People Mover: Build it or scrap it?

And....

I WAS BORN :bigass:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

mgk920

WisDOT just opened a new four lane County 'Q' bridge across Little Lake Butte des Morts in the Appleton/Menasha/Neenah area. In a local newspaper article, they said that when they rejected a two-lane option in that it would have been obsolete, traffic wise, on the day that it opened.  It is connected to US 41 with a partial cloverleaf interchange with collector-distributor lanes in both directions on US 41 and includes a reworked direct connection to Lake St (County 'PP') in Neenah. The interchange also includes a direct connection to a new frontage/access road on the west side of US 41 to allow access to roads and properties that are losing direct access to the highway, which is being realigned and upgraded to a full freeway between Appleton and Neenah as part of this project.  I do note that the Holiday Inn at US 41/Shady Ln just closed due to that direct US 41 intersection access being cut off.

This bridge makes access to and from Menasha much easier and takes a lot of traffic off of some serpentine local surface streets, especially through downtown Neenah.  There is a proposal for a beltline freeway around Appleton that might someday continue off of this, we'll have to see if this one doesn't fall victim to this anti-freeway frenzy that is miring some other major projects in the state.

Mike

1995hoo

Unleaded pumps take too long to fill the tank!

(Jumping to 2017 to explain for those too young to remember leaded gas: In order to ensure people didn't mistakenly put leaded gas into vehicles equipped with catalytic converters, which would result in costly repair bills, the government mandated a smaller fuel-filler pipe size, and thus a smaller pump nozzle, for unleaded gas. Leaded gas pumps would not fit into the opening in cars requiring unleaded gas. As a result, it took longer to fill the tank. If you're looking at my age and wondering how I remember this, it's because I remember my parents complaining about it in 1979 when they replaced their leaded-fuel Volvo sedan with an unleaded-fuel Volvo wagon.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

How long are the lines at your local gas station? Is there any type of rationing going on?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

slorydn1

Wow, found this little blurb in the off-topic section:

Quote from: Slorydn1 on July 17, 1975, 17:40:56

Hey everybody my little brother was born today!!!

-edited to remove actual post ID link, clicking will now take one to the main forum page.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

This is only 11 years out from the 1964 thread. Are we going to do 1986, 1997, and 2008 next?

The answer is no.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.