News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

E-ZPass and national interoperability

Started by cpzilliacus, October 05, 2012, 09:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Duke87 on October 06, 2012, 05:12:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 06, 2012, 02:41:52 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 06, 2012, 12:36:54 PM
Why does a transponder need to be built into a car? Is there anything wrong with having it on the windshield? Seems kind of a waste to sell a car with a transponder in it to someone in, say, Montana that will never need it...

I have one EZPass. My wife and I share it. She gets it when she is traveling to states with toll roads, and I keep it for my travels. We only pay one fee.

Multiple transponders, one for each vehicle, would mean multiple fees.

But see, you're breaking the rules. When you get a transponder, it's supposed to be associated with a specific vehicle. You're not supposed to share them.

Maryland is indifferent about this, though they do ask that the registration plate number be kept current online (in the event of a misread).

Quote from: Duke87 on October 06, 2012, 05:12:33 PM
Having the transponder built in would then just enforce this, which is currently difficult (and not done, hence why it's blatantly violated by a lot of people).

See above.  I think the policy may vary by issuer.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mdcastle

It seems likely Florida will be able to accept EZPass faster than the other way around.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here is my understanding of the situation:
Florida has only two major agencies, and the turnpike is replacing their old dual mode readers with tri or quad mode. The two channels are programmed for the older Allegro and the newer 6B sticker channels. When they get a third channel they can easily program it for EZPass. (If they get fourth channel, or else retire all their Allegro units with tri-mode they could program in 6C and bring in Georgia), and other agencies are transititioning to 6B and 6C too.

Going the other direction, there's all kinds of different EZPass agencies and reader technologies, so a comprehensive update is going to be harder. Also, Minnesota uses the same technology as EZPass but seems to have zero interest in linking up. I haven't been able to find out if Minnesota's readers are capable of more than one channel, but I doubt it.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mdcastle on October 07, 2012, 08:15:06 PM
It seems likely Florida will be able to accept EZPass faster than the other way around.

Not so sure either party wants to have "one-way" interoperability.  In  that sense, I refer to all of the E-ZPass Group members as one entity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here is my understanding of the situation:
Florida has only two major agencies, and the turnpike is replacing their old dual mode readers with tri or quad mode. The two channels are programmed for the older Allegro and the newer 6B sticker channels. When they get a third channel they can easily program it for EZPass. (If they get fourth channel, or else retire all their Allegro units with tri-mode they could program in 6C and bring in Georgia), and other agencies are transititioning to 6B and 6C too.

6C sounds like the possible winner to me.

Going the other direction, there's all kinds of different EZPass agencies and reader technologies, so a comprehensive update is going to be harder. Also, Minnesota uses the same technology as EZPass but seems to have zero interest in linking up. I haven't been able to find out if Minnesota's readers are capable of more than one channel, but I doubt it.

As I understand it, there is one E-ZPass standard that its members must meet. That doesn't mean that E-ZPass toll agencies have to buy hardware and softeware from one vendor, but there is one standard that they all must adhere to.

I am speculating, but I would think that the E-ZPass membership might decide to start honoring a "second" type of transponder, quite possibly 6C. If that were to be done, I think E-ZPass would want all of its members to honor that "second" transponder.

Regarding Minnesota, the closest E-ZPass group toll agency currently is the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority around Chicago.  But there have been other users of the E-ZPass Mark IV transponders without being E-ZPass members.  Virginia's SmarTag was independent of E-ZPass (and not connected to E-ZPass) for quite a few years, as was Maryland's M-Tag (Maryland joined E-ZPass several years before Virginia did).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: National interoperability SECOND THOUGHTS

QuoteIn our earlier report of the IBTTA/E-ZPass Group (EZPG) 'webinar' we suggested a conflict in approach between the Alliance for Toll Interoperability (ATI) and the EZPG which is probably more a difference in emphasis and healthy competition in approaches. ATI's hubs happen to have been used so far to clear transactions between tollers that mostly originated in license plate imaging, but they are a back office transactions clearing network, and can process any kinds of transactions.

QuoteThe E-ZPass Group wants to emphasize high levels of performance in transponder-reader transactions and their focus for now is on how to do interoperability at the front end.

QuoteThis is more a difference in emphasis or focus rather a conflict. For the foreseeable future - certainly within the 4 year MAP21 timeframe for interoperability - there will be vehicles without transponders, so whether you like it or not there will have to be cameras and an effort to clear interstate transactions from camera imaging and license plate reads.

myosh_tino

The interoperability discussion is pretty interesting coming from someone about as far away from EZPass territory as can be (California).  If this does become reality, it will be interesting to see how California is going to handle it.  I don't have any knowledge about the interworkings of FasTrak except that we use transponders that are read from overhead readers.

While most toll facilities in California use cameras to snap pictures of license plates if the transponder malfunctions, the I-680 Express Lane from CA-84 to CA-237, the I-880/CA-237 Express Lanes and the future I-580 Express Lane through Livermore all do not use cameras and, according to a local transportation columnist, there are NO plans to install cameras on these facilities.  According to published reports, the HOV lanes on CA-85, CA-237 and US 101 through Santa Clara County are to be converted to HOT or Express Lanes within the next few years.  Whether these facilities will get cameras for the purpose of toll collection remains to be seen but if the existing Express Lanes are any indication don't expect cameras any time soon.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 08, 2012, 02:13:21 AM
The interoperability discussion is pretty interesting coming from someone about as far away from EZPass territory as can be (California).  If this does become reality, it will be interesting to see how California is going to handle it.  I don't have any knowledge about the interworkings of FasTrak except that we use transponders that are read from overhead readers.

The FasTrak transponders are not, as far as I can tell, compatible with any other electronic toll collection technology in North America.  TOLLROADSnews calls the FasTrak technology Title 21 in this article.  More about Title 21 technology in TOLLROADSnews correction article here.

Why should California be interested in toll interoperability?  For commercial vehicle traffic, which does operate between the E-ZPass states and California (especially the Bay Area).

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 08, 2012, 02:13:21 AM
While most toll facilities in California use cameras to snap pictures of license plates if the transponder malfunctions, the I-680 Express Lane from CA-84 to CA-237, the I-880/CA-237 Express Lanes and the future I-580 Express Lane through Livermore all do not use cameras and, according to a local transportation columnist, there are NO plans to install cameras on these facilities.  According to published reports, the HOV lanes on CA-85, CA-237 and US 101 through Santa Clara County are to be converted to HOT or Express Lanes within the next few years.  Whether these facilities will get cameras for the purpose of toll collection remains to be seen but if the existing Express Lanes are any indication don't expect cameras any time soon.

Not having cameras is a gold-engraved invite to toll violators (and IMO, a big mistake, even though most drivers are honest) - the Virginia Department of Transportation did not have cameras on its transponder-only lanes (ungated) on the  Dulles Toll Road (Va. 267) for many years, though it had to install them when VDOT joined the E-ZPass Group (apparently it is a condition of membership in E-ZPass).

The TCA toll roads in Orange County, Calif. are planning to convert to cashless toll collection in the coming years.  I wonder if they will be installing cameras at their toll collection points?

myosh_tino

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 08, 2012, 09:13:51 AM
The TCA toll roads in Orange County, Calif. are planning to convert to cashless toll collection in the coming years.  I wonder if they will be installing cameras at their toll collection points?
According to the TCA website, they already have cameras installed at toll collection points along their toll roads.  A quick look at Google Maps seems to confirms that cameras are already in use.  I believe the only facilities that do not have cameras are the S.F. Bay Area Express Lanes on I-680 and I-880/CA-237.  All Bay Area toll bridges have cameras at the toll plazas with the Golden Gate Bridge converting to all electronic tolling by March 2013...

Quote from: Mr. Roadshow column in the San Jose Mercury NewsThe toll takers will be gone by March. Once the conversion is made to all electronic tolling, there will be three ways to pay: use FasTrak; set up an account and get a bill in the mail and charge it to a credit card; or toll-lane cameras would record your license plate number and send the registered owner of the vehicle a bill.
Link to Full Article
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kphoger

Back on the subtopic of multiple cars sharing an account:

Even though I drive through Texas from Oklahoma to México every year, I have still not bought a TxTag.  If I were to buy one, I would be able to use it on the new bypass around Austin (which I currently do not use because I don't trust pay-by-mail) as well as the Camino Colombia.

Instead, I have a Camino Colombia Day Pass account, which I was able to set up over the phone a couple of years ago when the Camino Colombia went cashless.  We've always had two vehicles going, but which second vehicle is going (and what my current license plate number is) changes year to year.  So I just call the toll road authority and ask to change the vehicle information on my account.  Sometimes it's a struggle to find someone who actually knows how to do so, but I've always been able to.

So 2½ years ago, I created the account with my minivan's information plus our friend Ray's Honda Civic.

1½ years ago, I had them remove Ray's Civic from the account and add our best friend Adam's GMC Sierra–though I forgot to update our address at that time, having moved to a different neighborhood.

This past June, I had them remove Adam's pickup and add our youth pastor Josh's Toyota Highlander, update our address information, update our license plate number (it had changed), and add money to the account.  It took a while for them to find my account, since I had lost our account number, but it all worked out in the end.

Eventually, when we end up living in México full-time, I'll probably just get a TxTag.  But, for now, the Day Pass account is the easiest way for me without submitting to pay-by-mail.  And, especially with the recent tag office fiasco here in Kansas, I simply don't trust the toll road authorities to have my current information on file enough to do pay-by-mail.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hobsini2

I do think that eventually there will be a national "crossover" for toll transponders. It is already proven that you do not need to have an EZ Pass if you have an I-Pass for it to work in New York. I am sure that there are other Passes that can be used interchangeably between toll systems. I think it would be most cost effective to the states that have electronic tolls to be able to carry all such transponders. So if you have a Pike Pass it could work on the Golden Gate Bridge or a EZ Pass can be used on the Dallas North Tollway. It may be a pipe dream at this time but it should be coming very soon.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

Quote from: xcellntbuy on October 05, 2012, 04:18:17 PM
Not yet.  I maintain both a Sunpass and an E-Z Pass account for my travels.

I've heard from one of the Illinois Tollway officials at a public meeting that Florida is the most requested for interoperability with the I-Pass transponder.

I don't suppose there is a list with all the different transponder/tag systems somewhere on the web?

Kacie Jane

vdeane

Quote from: hobsini2 on October 13, 2012, 10:20:24 PM
I do think that eventually there will be a national "crossover" for toll transponders. It is already proven that you do not need to have an EZ Pass if you have an I-Pass for it to work in New York. I am sure that there are other Passes that can be used interchangeably between toll systems. I think it would be most cost effective to the states that have electronic tolls to be able to carry all such transponders. So if you have a Pike Pass it could work on the Golden Gate Bridge or a EZ Pass can be used on the Dallas North Tollway. It may be a pipe dream at this time but it should be coming very soon.
I-Pass is E-ZPass with different branding.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: deanej on October 14, 2012, 11:31:48 AM

Right.  And if the E-ZPass Group becomes interoperable with SunPass, I suspect that means (implicitly) that I-Pass will be interoperable with SunPass as well, since I think it reasonable to regard I-Pass as a subset of E-ZPass.

hobsini2

And that is exactly my point why it will happen down the line soon.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

vdeane

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 14, 2012, 02:07:52 PM
Quote from: deanej on October 14, 2012, 11:31:48 AM

Right.  And if the E-ZPass Group becomes interoperable with SunPass, I suspect that means (implicitly) that I-Pass will be interoperable with SunPass as well, since I think it reasonable to regard I-Pass as a subset of E-ZPass.
Becoming interoperable doesn't mean they would become a member agency of the E-ZPass group though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

realjd

I hope SunPass never becomes a member of EZPass. Interoperability would be excellent but I'm a firm believer in keeping local control.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: realjd on October 15, 2012, 11:27:06 PM
I hope SunPass never becomes a member of EZPass. Interoperability would be excellent but I'm a firm believer in keeping local control.

Unless I am mistaken as to how the E-ZPass IAG works, FTE/OOCEA/MDX would not give up any actual control of anything by joining E-ZPass. They would just use a standard transponder model and standard E-ZPass branding.

What exactly do you think they would have to give up control over?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

cpzilliacus

The E-ZPass Group is not about giving up local control.  I am pretty certain that the group does not tell its members (which include large public-sector toll roads like the Pennsylvania  Turnpike as well as smallish private-sector concessions like the Dulles Greenway and the Chicago Skyway) how to run their roads.

cpzilliacus

More from TOLLROADSnews: OmniAir making bid to have its Certification Services subsidiary plan testing programs for E-ZPass interoperability effort

QuoteThe EZPG executives were interested in hearing details of the OCS' testing for their first qualified toll technology, the 6C sticker tags, the 3M/Sirit system having completed certification in September.

QuoteThe E-ZPass Group is looking at different options for managing testing as part of their effort to establish how to handle tags from the various state toll blocs in Texas, Florida, California and other places with different electronic toll or RFID protocols.

QuoteAffiliate membership is now being offered by the EZPG for tollers with different electronic (transponder-reader) technology but who have proposals for interoperability. North Carolina Turnpike with 6B+ protocol and TransCore 6B+/E-ZPass dual protocol transponders plus multi-protocol readers is set to be the first affiliate member later this year.

QuoteThe TransCore equipment in use in North Carolina has been found to meet EZPG standards.

Brandon

They should be able to, even including keeping their own branding.  ISTHA has their own branding (I-Pass), and keeps a lot of the local control, so SunPass should be able to do likewise.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Brandon on October 16, 2012, 07:16:33 PM

They should be able to, even including keeping their own branding.  ISTHA has their own branding (I-Pass), and keeps a lot of the local control, so SunPass should be able to do likewise.

Though on the flipside, the private company that owns the long-term concession to collect tolls on and operate and maintain the Indiana East—West Toll Road is (again, according to TOLLROADSnews (here)) getting rid of the I-ZOOM transponder brand and transitioning everything to E-ZPass.

Compulov

There's one small issue with keeping local branding, and that's making it abundantly clear to joe six-pack that his transponder can be used anywhere in the network. Maybe co-branding, or some sort of "Accepts transponders $foo and $bar" signage might work, but what if every member of the EZ-Pass IAG exclusively used their own branding? You'd have a mess (speaking from a purely PR perspective). I suppose this would be less of an issue if there were true national interoperability (then it's just a matter of knowing that my transponder works *everywhere*), but as it is now, I think EZ-Pass branding for the association is important.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Compulov on October 17, 2012, 03:19:51 PM

There's one small issue with keeping local branding, and that's making it abundantly clear to joe six-pack that his transponder can be used anywhere in the network. Maybe co-branding, or some sort of "Accepts transponders $foo and $bar" signage might work, but what if every member of the EZ-Pass IAG exclusively used their own branding? You'd have a mess (speaking from a purely PR perspective). I suppose this would be less of an issue if there were true national interoperability (then it's just a matter of knowing that my transponder works *everywhere*), but as it is now, I think EZ-Pass branding for the association is important.

Virginia had that for a while (and still does, to some extent), with the SmarTag (old, Virginia-specific Mark IV) "brand" displayed along with E-ZPass (both are in purple).

agentsteel53

They should be able to, even including keeping their own branding.

why?  I don't care who operates a toll road.  I never think to myself "oh, I should take CA-73; it's run by Orange County Transit Authority".  it's either "I wanna pay 4 bucks to save some time" or "I don't".

it's not like there is competition among toll roads that makes brand awareness critical. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bulldog1979

Quote from: Compulov on October 17, 2012, 03:19:51 PM

Heading east into Ohio from Indiana, there are signs approaching the Westgate Toll Barrier that say that the Ohio Turnpike accepts I-Pass, iZoom and E-ZPass. The Indiana Toll Road likewise has I-Pass logo signage. Since the ITRCC has recently discontinued the iZoom branding, and replaced their signage, the Ohio example is probably one of the last places left to show an iZoom logo.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.