News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sipes23

Quote from: johndoe780 on June 18, 2015, 10:07:26 PM
However, you can get from Elgin to Aurora decently quick on Randall Road. From 90 to the end of Randall would take almost 35-40 minutes.

At what time? Sorry, my Randall Road hate is coming out. I see what's happened on that road and always think about what could have been done to make it less of a mess.

Desert Man

Quote from: Brandon on June 19, 2015, 06:42:42 AM
Quote from: Mike D boy on June 18, 2015, 10:03:55 PM
I looked at a map of the tollway (Illinois Tollway's web site) and stare route 390 is not long. And reading the thread, the tollway is incomplete at this time. Elgin is a city in both Cook and Kane counties, both served by county seats Chicago (the US' 3rd largest city) and Aurora (IL's 2nd largest in population). Kane county with Aurora as its hub has grown alot over half a century. It should need more highways, be it "free" way or "toll" way. I noticed there's no North-South freeway from Elgin connecting with I-90 down to Aurora connecting with I-88.

Aurora is not a county seat, and is served by county seats in Geneva (Kane), Yorkville (Kendall), Wheaton (DuPage), and Joliet (Will).  Of the four major satellite cities, only Joliet and Waukegan (Lake) are county seats.

Thanx for clarification, from someone who lives in Joilet. I would know more about my surroundings in southern CA than "Chicagoland", ROFL. The Naperville area or Dupage county has 100s of golf courses, comparable to the desert resorts of Palm Springs area in Riverside county. According to locals, my hometown Indio is the 2nd county seat of Riverside county after Riverside, due to county offices in Indio to administer 70-some miles away.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

johndoe780

Quote from: sipes23 on June 19, 2015, 10:36:23 AM
Quote from: johndoe780 on June 18, 2015, 10:07:26 PM
However, you can get from Elgin to Aurora decently quick on Randall Road. From 90 to the end of Randall would take almost 35-40 minutes.

At what time? Sorry, my Randall Road hate is coming out. I see what's happened on that road and always think about what could have been done to make it less of a mess.

Randall's not that bad. KDOT is kicking arse lately. They're already looking at widening to 6 lanes.

Hopefully those longmeadow parkway NIMBY'ers will shut up and build the damn bridge.

Revive 755

Quote from: johndoe780 on June 19, 2015, 01:16:07 PM
Randall's not that bad. KDOT is kicking arse lately. They're already looking at widening to 6 lanes.

I'm guessing you haven't been on Randall on the weekends lately.

I haven't heard of six laning Randall in Kane County except in long-range plans - only plans for signal upgrades and transit signal priority.

Quote from: johndoe780 on June 19, 2015, 01:16:07 PMHopefully those longmeadow parkway NIMBY'ers will shut up and build the damn bridge.

Rumor has it Longmeadow is going forward until a court orders otherwise or Kane County runs into trouble acquiring the necessary ROW.

johndoe780

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 19, 2015, 09:38:40 PM

I haven't heard of six laning Randall in Kane County except in long-range plans - only plans for signal upgrades and transit signal priority.

Quote from: johndoe780 on June 19, 2015, 01:16:07 PMHopefully those longmeadow parkway NIMBY'ers will shut up and build the damn bridge.

Rumor has it Longmeadow is going forward until a court orders otherwise or Kane County runs into trouble acquiring the necessary ROW.

Nope, I usually don't go on Randall on weekends. But on weekdays, I could really fly down Randall, especially between South Elgin and Batavia.

Stupid NIMBY'ers. Longmeadow is a MUCH needed bridge in northern kane county. I think KDOT even received funding from the state, surprisingly, so now it doesn't have to be a toll bridge.

Bottom line, I have much more faith in KDOT in fixing shit than IDOT. Stearns road has been built for 5 years, only last year did IDOT get off its lazy ass and start widening its section of 25.

Rick Powell

Quote from: johndoe780 on June 19, 2015, 09:55:14 PM

Stupid NIMBY'ers. Longmeadow is a MUCH needed bridge in northern kane county. I think KDOT even received funding from the state, surprisingly, so now it doesn't have to be a toll bridge.

I was at a recent meeting with Kane County, and they were talking about Longmeadow.  It'll still be a toll bridge (they did get some money programmed from IDOT in the new 6 year plan, but not enough to offset the total cost), and they have worked out the details with ISTHA's I-Pass for compatibility.  There is a flyover video on YouTube that shows it in detail.     

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RHF7biwi9U

Here's an article on the funding, which states they are still planning for tolls to accommodate paying off the construction bonds.

http://www.kcchronicle.com/2015/05/15/state-comes-through-with-longmeadow-parkway-funding/ahfy9ar/

johndoe780

Quote from: Rick Powell on June 20, 2015, 02:39:13 PM

I was at a recent meeting with Kane County, and they were talking about Longmeadow.  It'll still be a toll bridge (they did get some money programmed from IDOT in the new 6 year plan, but not enough to offset the total cost), and they have worked out the details with ISTHA's I-Pass for compatibility.  There is a flyover video on YouTube that shows it in detail.     

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RHF7biwi9U

Here's an article on the funding, which states they are still planning for tolls to accommodate paying off the construction bonds.

http://www.kcchronicle.com/2015/05/15/state-comes-through-with-longmeadow-parkway-funding/ahfy9ar/

It's possible. There may or may not be tolls. Honestly, if the NIBYer's stopped whinning and if this project was done 10-15 years ago, there wouldn't be a need for tolls. These guys are literally ruining all the roads around here and inflating the cost for future generations. 53 extension, fox valley freeway, Prarie parkway, etc.

http://kanecountyconnects.com/2015/05/idots-8-4-billion-plan-includes-63-million-for-longmeadow-parkway/

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 19, 2015, 09:38:40 PM

Nope, I usually don't go on Randall on weekends. But on weekdays, I could really fly down Randall, especially between South Elgin and Batavia.

Bottom line, I have much more faith in KDOT in fixing shit than IDOT. Stearns road has been built for 5 years, only last year did IDOT get off its lazy ass and start widening its section of 25.

You can fly down Randall during the weekdays? What planet do you live on? Randall is a congested cluster that has WAY too many stoplights.

Stephane Dumas

Slightly off-topic sidenote, I checked Google Maps, Bing maps and Mapquest who still show a satellite view of the interchange of IL-390(Elgin-O'Hare) with I-290 before construction started. I wonder when one of them will have an updated aerial view of the area soon?

I-39

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 21, 2015, 09:43:31 PM
Slightly off-topic sidenote, I checked Google Maps, Bing maps and Mapquest who still show a satellite view of the interchange of IL-390(Elgin-O'Hare) with I-290 before construction started. I wonder when one of them will have an updated aerial view of the area soon?

Funny you mention that. As of today, Google Earth (the application), just published updated satellite imagery for most of Chicagoland (with the exception of the north suburbs) and it is dated April 30th, 2015. It shows both the I-90 and Elgin-O'Hare corridors under construction. I imagine the updates imagery will be on google maps within days.

tribar

Why does Google Earth always leave out the Northern Suburbs?  :paranoid:

Brandon

Quote from: tribar on June 23, 2015, 05:52:45 PM
Why does Google Earth always leave out the Northern Suburbs?  :paranoid:

Why not?  Rand McNally and IDOT leave out the far southern suburbs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

dietermoreno

silverback1065

will this be a numbered highway? (longmeadow)

hobsini2

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 27, 2015, 11:06:07 PM
Maybe but I haven't heard of any yet. Remember, they didn't slap a number onto the Stearns Rd crossing when that was finished.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 28, 2015, 01:27:29 PM
Maybe but I haven't heard of any yet. Remember, they didn't slap a number onto the Stearns Rd crossing when that was finished.

Stearns Rd was Kane County.  IDOT had nothing really to do with it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

johndoe780

Quote from: Brandon on June 28, 2015, 04:50:43 PM

Stearns Rd was Kane County.  IDOT had nothing really to do with it.

Except for the widening of 25/stearns where they're combined..... 5 years later.

sipes23

Quote from: johndoe780 on June 28, 2015, 08:42:54 PM
Except for the widening of 25/stearns where they're combined..... 5 years later.

I just drove through that today. What a mess. There's a break in 25 that requires a detour over to 30, which I get. These things are occasionally necessary, but what gets me is that 31 was also under construction. Fer real? I need whatever they're smoking there.

Edit to make on topic: I also drove the length of IL390 the Elgin-O'Hare, and the junction with 290 is much improved already. The freeway end at Rohlwing is gone, mercifully.

Revive 755

Quote from: dietermoreno on June 27, 2015, 06:58:07 PM
Do I see roundabouts in the documents for the Longmeadow Parkway at IL 31, IL 25, and IL 62?

http://i2.wp.com/kanecountyconnects.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Screen-Shot-2015-05-21-at-3.13.49-PM.png

You should not be; only roundabout going in with the Longmeadow Corridor is where the Bolz Road connector ties into existing Bolz Road (just above the 'Z' in Bolz in the linked screenshot).  Longmeadow at IL 25 and Longmeadow at IL 62 will be signalized intersections;  Longmeadow at IL 31 will be a one quadrant interchange with Longmeadow going over IL 31.

Stearns has a County Route number; Longmeadow will also be getting a County Route number.

premier707

Quote from: I-39 on May 25, 2015, 09:48:11 PM
So getting back to the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway, do you think the western loop around Ontarioville to North Avenue is necessary, and do you think it will ever be built?

It will be built eventually; perhaps our grandkids can drive it when they visit us at 'the home'.

I'd like to remind everyone that the full 'EOWA' as advertized is not a done deal yet.  The current approved construction plan only extends IL390 to IL83/Busse Rd/Kingery Hwy.  This portion is programmed to be completed in 2017, and will be completed, likely ahead of schedule.  The diverging diamond along I90 at Elmhurst Rd will be completed in 2016.  The next segment/portion scheduled after that is the roadway from IL83 to IL19, with an auxiliary lane eastbound along IL19 to a new four-lane Taft Ave connector bridge south across the Bensenville yard.  After that, ramps to/from I294 will be constructed leading to the Taft connector and the County Line/Green St area.  The final pieces planned (mid 20s) are the mainline on the West Bypass/I490 north from the Taft extension to IL19, and from the IL390/I490 junction north to I90.

ISTHA will be watching traffic counts VERY closely in the region over the next few years.  The construction staging is designed to allow planners to eliminate segments that may prove unnecessary.  Since traffic counts have proved the need for the segment from IL83 to IL19, that segment will most likely be built; utility relocation has already begun.  After that, however, who knows.  Without a western terminal, the extension to IL19 and Taft Ave connection to I294 (via a few stoplights) and to I90 via a (likely) improved York Rd may be sufficient in the mid-term.  The full extension is still a few hundred million dollars short, and the ISTHA may cut back construction and use those extra funds for a central Tri-State widening, although the 300ft corridor along the western edge of O'Hare will remain reserved.   I have a sneaking suspicion the West Bypass won't be built in full until there is a Western terminal, which will not happen before the 30s.

I-39

Quote from: premier707 on July 06, 2015, 01:23:40 AM
So getting back to the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway, do you think the western loop around Ontarioville to North Avenue is necessary, and do you think it will ever be built?

It will be built eventually; perhaps our grandkids can drive it when they visit us at 'the home'.

I'd like to remind everyone that the full 'EOWA' as advertized is not a done deal yet.  The current approved construction plan only extends IL390 to IL83/Busse Rd/Kingery Hwy.  This portion is programmed to be completed in 2017, and will be completed, likely ahead of schedule.  The diverging diamond along I90 at Elmhurst Rd will be completed in 2016.  The next segment/portion scheduled after that is the roadway from IL83 to IL19, with an auxiliary lane eastbound along IL19 to a new four-lane Taft Ave connector bridge south across the Bensenville yard.  After that, ramps to/from I294 will be constructed leading to the Taft connector and the County Line/Green St area.  The final pieces planned (mid 20s) are the mainline on the West Bypass/I490 north from the Taft extension to IL19, and from the IL390/I490 junction north to I90.

ISTHA will be watching traffic counts VERY closely in the region over the next few years.  The construction staging is designed to allow planners to eliminate segments that may prove unnecessary.  Since traffic counts have proved the need for the segment from IL83 to IL19, that segment will most likely be built; utility relocation has already begun.  After that, however, who knows.  Without a western terminal, the extension to IL19 and Taft Ave connection to I294 (via a few stoplights) and to I90 via a (likely) improved York Rd may be sufficient in the mid-term.  The full extension is still a few hundred million dollars short, and the ISTHA may cut back construction and use those extra funds for a central Tri-State widening, although the 300ft corridor along the western edge of O'Hare will remain reserved.   I have a sneaking suspicion the West Bypass won't be built in full until there is a Western terminal, which will not happen before the 30s.

Do you have a source for this? Because why would they be advertising something that won't get built? Plus, if there is not a connection east of IL-83 or a western bypass, who would use the roadway east of I-290? That wouldn't make sense.

I personally think Move Illinois should have focused on building the IL-53 extension (which is more necessary right now) rather than the Elgin-O'Hare. Also, focus on reconstructing the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange (which they are going to have to do soon).

johndoe780

The difference between the 2 mile extension westwards of EOE and say, the 10 mile 53 extension north is pretty simple. The mayors of Hanover Park and Bartlett actually want the extension. On the other hand, you have Long grove whining for decades how it'll ruin their "quality of life."

I expect EOE to eventually move westwards sooner rather than later now that it's part of ITHSA, which is slightly more competent than their countpart, IDOT.

The 494 part of EOE looks to be more planning and land acquisition, hence the 2025 completion date. Bottom line, in 10 years, I expect EOE to be a surprisingly successful highway, despite the toll,  taking a good chunk of traffic off the adjacent highways and county roads. As far as the $300 million shortfall, that's up in the air.

But in regards to the western entrance, maybe. Ohare just landed the most competent or one of the most competent airport chiefs. I wouldn't be surprised if she fires all these patronage hags and starts a fresh course.

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on July 06, 2015, 11:56:18 AM
Do you have a source for this? Because why would they be advertising something that won't get built? Plus, if there is not a connection east of IL-83 or a western bypass, who would use the roadway east of I-290? That wouldn't make sense.

I believe premier707 means advertized in the 'presented to the public' sense, not as in seeking bids from contractors - though the southern half of the Western Bypass has a few building demolition contracts going out to bid this summer.

I could certainly see ISTHA reevaluating and reopening study of the Western Bypass if the Central Tri-State rebuild gains more momentum.  I could also see ISTHA trying to drop the northern connection to I-90 in favor of reviving a connection to the Tri-State at the IL 19 interchange (similar to the earlier dreams of the EOE extension).

As for improvements to York Road, the only improvements planned I have heard of beyond the DDI with I-90 was the jughandle at IL 72/Touhy Avenue.

As to who would use IL 390 if it only makes it to IL 83:  Given the semi-expressway nature of IL 83, I could see IL 390 and IL 83 becoming a bypass for the congestion at the I-290/I-355 interchange

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 06, 2015, 06:26:42 PM

I believe premier707 means advertized in the 'presented to the public' sense, not as in seeking bids from contractors - though the southern half of the Western Bypass has a few building demolition contracts going out to bid this summer.

I could certainly see ISTHA reevaluating and reopening study of the Western Bypass if the Central Tri-State rebuild gains more momentum.  I could also see ISTHA trying to drop the northern connection to I-90 in favor of reviving a connection to the Tri-State at the IL 19 interchange (similar to the earlier dreams of the EOE extension).

As for improvements to York Road, the only improvements planned I have heard of beyond the DDI with I-90 was the jughandle at IL 72/Touhy Avenue.

As to who would use IL 390 if it only makes it to IL 83:  Given the semi-expressway nature of IL 83, I could see IL 390 and IL 83 becoming a bypass for the congestion at the I-290/I-355 interchange

Well, just today they posted saying they are seeking firms to help with construction on the I-490 bypass, so it looks like it will go forward. I doubt they would back off of something like this since they raised tolls drastically to pay for this program.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/999be150-feff-4a24-b0e3-825ed76fdbea

The Central Tri-State Rebuild will happen, it's just a matter of how it will be done. Their options are:

1. Rebuild the four lanes and shoulders in-kind

2. Rebuild the four lanes and widen the inside shoulder

3. Rebuild and widen to five lanes in each direction

4. Rebuild and widen to five lanes in each direction and widen the inside shoulder

If you ask me, I think it should be a combination of both 2 and 3, only add a fifth lane in some areas (perhaps from I-90/Balmoral to I-88/I-290), the rest keep four lanes, but widen the shoulder along the entire length.

Joe The Dragon

I personally think Move Illinois should have focused on building the IL-53 extension (which is more necessary right now) rather than the Elgin-O'Hare. Also, focus on reconstructing the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange (which they are going to have to do soon).

There is working going on past IL83 on Thorndale Road.

The plans for the EOE ramps / IL-64 new ramps don't show anything for central Tri-State widening

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.