News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

ODOT looks into tolls for Portland-area freeways

Started by sparker, February 27, 2017, 07:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 10, 2018, 07:10:43 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 10, 2018, 02:41:39 PM
I agree with roadguy2. I see Metro using the toll money to fund new light rail projects. Given the way I've heard the roads are in Portland, this seems the most likely scenario.

Isn't this scenario a violation of federal law?
The rule for tolling Interstates is that it has to be on bridges and the revenue has to be used on that roadway for improvements. So what would happen is that all of the improvements along the I-5/205 corridor would be funded by these tolls, freeing up revenue currently spent on the corridor to be used for transit. In essence the tolls would then end up paying for transit, but indirectly. Not that that's how they would do it, but that's probably how they would have to do it to survive a legal challenge.

vdeane

Of course, who knows how long that rule will last given Trump's infrastructure proposal.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Alps on March 24, 2018, 11:30:20 PM
So what would happen is that all of the improvements along the I-5/205 corridor would be funded by these tolls, freeing up revenue currently spent on the corridor to be used for transit. In essence the tolls would then end up paying for transit, but indirectly

Such would violate the Oregon Constitution.  The monies freed up would go right back in ODOT's account, to be used for however ODOT sees fit.

Metro doesn't receive state gas tax funding; it merely has a say in how money is spent within its jurisdiction.  Tolling freeways in Portland is just a sure-fire way for ODOT to spend the money outside of the Metro, since there is no requirement other than that gas tax money has to be spent on highways - and not light rail.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.