News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 15 - Siphon Road Interchange

Started by andy3175, May 20, 2017, 04:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

Discussions for funding a new interchange between Interstate 15 and Siphon Road are underway. The new interchange may include an extension of Business Loop I-15 north from Pocatello to Chubbuck. It was originally scheduled for 2008, pushed back to 2035, and now is again under consideration for funding later this decade. A meeting on May 18, 2017, resulted in no decision from the Idaho Transportation Department board, but it will reconsider contributing toward the interchange project later this year. Here are some articles:

http://idahostatejournal.com/members/a-link-to-interstate-plan-for-siphon-road-interstate-interchange/article_9d861707-d95d-5363-a95d-8dd49fd0caeb.html

QuoteAn interchange would establish a business loop for Chubbuck, giving the city access to both I-86 via Yellowstone Avenue and I-15 via Siphon Road.

Siphon – which currently ends about a half mile west of I-15 at Hiline Road – would continue to the east and then to the south, where it would link up with Olympus Drive in Pocatello. That would provide more efficient, fluid access to and from the Portneuf Wellness Complex. It would also provide easier interstate passage for residents and businesses in Pocatello's Highland area.

The conceptual design of the interchange itself is a diverging diamond interchange that imitates the Yellowstone Avenue/I-86 interchange in Chubbuck.

According to Bannock County Commissioner Terrel Tovey, the Idaho Transportation Department identified a need for a Siphon/I-15 interchange back in 2003. The project was slated to begin construction sometime in 2008 or 2009.

"But that of course is when the markets turned down and all the projects were scaled back,"  Tovey said.

So the interchange on Siphon Road was shelved and its completion date was pushed back to 2035.

But between then and now, something changed. Growth happened.

http://idahostatejournal.com/members/siphon-road-interstate-interchange-not-approved-yet/article_ef0335ce-7f11-5eab-85fb-93f3a4828ed7.html

QuoteThe Idaho Transportation Department board on Thursday did not approve the $25 million interchange that would connect Siphon Road and Olympus Drive to Interstate 15. A green light from the board may arrive in a few weeks, however, after a rigorous review of the project's environmental assessment, ITD officials said. ...

There has been talk about constructing a Siphon Road interchange for many years, but the current proposal began to take shape last year.

In March of this year, the proposal emerged for Pocatello, Chubbuck, Bannock County, Millennial Development and the Idaho Transportation Department to each chip in about $5 million to build the interchange.

"This partnership caps (the state) contribution at $5 million flat,"  Bala said. "Delivery of the connecting infrastructure and the interchange itself would become the responsibility of the partnership."
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.