Weirdest Quirks of Your State DOT?

Started by i-215, January 17, 2019, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipeters61

Quote from: DJ Particle on January 22, 2019, 03:43:23 AM
MASSACHUSETTS:

Until recently, BGS's had exit tabs that were framed as part of the larger sign.  There was no frame break between the exit tab and the rest of the sign.
Until recently, Connecticut's BGS's had exit tabs which didn't have a border at all. https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ct/ct_9/n1.jpg
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

roadfro

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 21, 2019, 10:11:20 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on January 21, 2019, 10:01:42 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 21, 2019, 04:18:11 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 19, 2019, 05:26:37 PM
MASSDOT:
- use of wooden signposts

Very common in states farther west.

Yup, wooden is what WisDOT prefers. A significant number of sign substraights are wood as well.

Very common in the deserts in California.

Very common all over California. If I'm not mistaken, most post-mounted signs of all varieties (up to and including freeway BGS) on Caltrans facilities are wood posts.

Caltrans and Nevada DOT do a lot of things very similarly, but this is one of their few contrasts. Virtually no permanent road sign in Nevada uses wood posts, and even temporary road construction signs using wood posts are rare.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Brandon

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 22, 2019, 08:07:19 AM
MASSACHUSETTS:

Until recently, BGS's had exit tabs that were framed as part of the larger sign.  There was no frame break between the exit tab and the rest of the sign.
Until recently, Connecticut's BGS's had exit tabs which didn't have a border at all. https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ct/ct_9/n1.jpg

Then you go in a different direction entirely and use a full-width tab like Washington, Illinois, Utah (former), and Michigan (hit-or-miss) do.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Surprised no one has mentioned West Virginia's "fractional" routes. If they did, I missed it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

machias

MASSACHUSETTS:

This was also how Pennsylvania did it back before the right- or left-justified exit tab days.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: roadfro on January 22, 2019, 10:44:40 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 21, 2019, 10:11:20 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on January 21, 2019, 10:01:42 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 21, 2019, 04:18:11 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 19, 2019, 05:26:37 PM
MASSDOT:
- use of wooden signposts

Very common in states farther west.

Yup, wooden is what WisDOT prefers. A significant number of sign substraights are wood as well.

Very common in the deserts in California.

Very common all over California. If I'm not mistaken, most post-mounted signs of all varieties (up to and including freeway BGS) on Caltrans facilities are wood posts.

Caltrans and Nevada DOT do a lot of things very similarly, but this is one of their few contrasts. Virtually no permanent road sign in Nevada uses wood posts, and even temporary road construction signs using wood posts are rare.

Another difference is that Nevada allows logo signs in urban areas while California does not.

bzakharin

Traffic circles are another NJ specific thing, though they're slowly going away. A recent change is over-sized two-sided mile markers with a direction and route shield, every 0.2 miles on freeways and 0.5 miles on non-freeway state and US routes. These may exist elsewhere, but I have only seen them in NJ so far.

Brandon

Quote from: bzakharin on January 24, 2019, 11:47:12 AM
Traffic circles are another NJ specific thing, though they're slowly going away. A recent change is over-sized two-sided mile markers with a direction and route shield, every 0.2 miles on freeways and 0.5 miles on non-freeway state and US routes. These may exist elsewhere, but I have only seen them in NJ so far.

Traffic circles (not modern roundabouts) exist in other places than New Jersey.  Massachusetts comes to mind.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on January 24, 2019, 11:47:12 AM

The 'enhanced' mm is used extensively elsewhere, although NJ's standard for signing them is probably a little bit unique.  Personally I would've rather had them every 0.1 miles on highways.  If one is knocked down or otherwise missing, then there's going to be 0.4 miles between the markers, making them much less visible.

The ones on non-freeways (every half-mile) aren't as useful to much of the general public.  If someone needed assistance, most likely they would be using some nearby landmark or cross street to describe their location. 

ipeters61

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 24, 2019, 12:22:01 PM
The ones on non-freeways (every half-mile) aren't as useful to much of the general public.  If someone needed assistance, most likely they would be using some nearby landmark or cross street to describe their location.
The problem with that, though, is if you are on a more desolate non-expressway, what are you supposed to use?  There have been plenty of crash reports that I've read where the nearest cross street was at least 1/2 mile away and the only things around you are massive farms.

Also, this reminded me of another weird Delaware thing (but it may be more common in rural states).  One of my coworkers told me that it was only about 20 years ago that most rural roads actually got names (they apparently sent out surveys to people living on the roads to determine what they should be called).  Prior to that, they were just "Road 268A" or something like that.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

6a

While I'm not sure if it's actually the state DOT posting the signs, it does seem to be a statewide phenomenon. I can't recall anywhere being as obsessive about marking every single instance of crossing a corporate boundary as Ohio. Even if it's just the width of a railroad right-of-way (pictured). There are places where single properties have been annexed, so going down a road, you'll see LEAVE CORP / ENTER CORP / LEAVE CORP / ENTER CORP in the space of a couple front yards.

fillup420

South Carolina DOT still uses black-outlined US route shields on BGS's

formulanone

Quote from: 6a on January 24, 2019, 06:14:20 PM
While I'm not sure if it's actually the state DOT posting the signs, it does seem to be a statewide phenomenon. I can't recall anywhere being as obsessive about marking every single instance of crossing a corporate boundary as Ohio. Even if it's just the width of a railroad right-of-way (pictured). There are places where single properties have been annexed, so going down a road, you'll see LEAVE CORP / ENTER CORP / LEAVE CORP / ENTER CORP in the space of a couple front yards.

It's like two kids fighting over which side of the room is their own:

Buck87

^ there's similar instances of this on OH 315 where it goes back and forth between Columbus and Sharon Township 4-6 times in a short span, and also one where a tiny strip of Grandview Heights gets a sign immediately followed by one for Columbus not too far from downtown. 

Brandon

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 24, 2019, 06:05:39 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 24, 2019, 12:22:01 PM
The problem with that, though, is if you are on a more desolate non-expressway, what are you supposed to use?  There have been plenty of crash reports that I've read where the nearest cross street was at least 1/2 mile away and the only things around you are massive farms.

Also, this reminded me of another weird Delaware thing (but it may be more common in rural states).  One of my coworkers told me that it was only about 20 years ago that most rural roads actually got names (they apparently sent out surveys to people living on the roads to determine what they should be called).  Prior to that, they were just "Road 268A" or something like that.

Interesting.  A lot of our rural roads just have numbers such as 3000E or 400S, or just use the route number, i.e. 173 Illinois Route 2.

hbelkins

I suspect Ohio's corporation limit signs are placed for police jurisdictional purposes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

6a

Quote from: hbelkins on January 25, 2019, 10:47:05 AM
I suspect Ohio's corporation limit signs are placed for police jurisdictional purposes.

Indeed, it's not uncommon to find police parked in one of these tiny islands, running radar.

J N Winkler

Alabama has "Police Jurisdiction" signs--I am not sure it is unique in this regard, but any other states that use these signs are assuredly in the South.  When I first encountered them during a roadtrip, they made me nervous.  When I returned home, I did a little research and discovered city police forces in Alabama have extraterritorial jurisdiction that extends a short distance beyond the corporate limits of their respective municipalities, and the signs delineate where this ends.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

fillup420

Why the hell does Georgia have so many redundant state routes? (US 1/SR 4, US 27/SR 1 come to mind)

skluth

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on January 19, 2019, 07:47:50 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 19, 2019, 06:55:16 PM
California; wildly varying levels of apathy regarding route signage up keep. 
Bingo.

OMG, Yes. Following state routes is a challenge in urban areas. The only place you can often find them is on the freeways. Waze helps. It also took me a couple weeks to figure out that "Cyn" was the abbreviation for canyon. It's all over SoCal. You don't see many of those east of the Rockies.

For the other states I've lived in.

Wisconsin
1) The county trunk highway system using letters.
2) The near obsession during the last 20 years of installing roundabouts at practically every available opportunity. I love roundabouts, but often a simple intersection with stop sign will suffice.

Missouri
1) Also has lettered routes, but they're not county trunk highways.
2) The continued use of paint that disappears every time it rains.

Virginia
That no bridges can be built completely across the water downriver from US Navy installations in the Hampton Roads area. This explains all the tunnels.

I've never lived in Texas, but the "Drive Friendly" signs always struck me as quirky.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: skluth on January 27, 2019, 06:55:42 PM
Wisconsin
1) The county trunk highway system using letters.
2) The near obsession during the last 20 years of installing roundabouts at practically every available opportunity. I love roundabouts, but often a simple intersection with stop sign will suffice.

I can totally agree with this! I really like the lettered county trunk highway system here because it makes us very unique. Honestly I feel like assigning numbers to these routes would make them feel less significant as county routes.

Also, I'm really sick of WISDOT applying roundabouts to every new interchange. All the reconstructed interchanges I've seen in the Green Bay area seem to have roundabouts on each ramp, and sometimes even an extra set of roundabouts for the frontage roads on either side of it! Manitowoc is also planning to build a roundabout at the intersection of highway 42 and Maritime Dr, but that one actually feels necessary.
Forget the I-41 haters

SD Mapman

In South Dakota, if route doesn't hit the WY (for an even-numbered route) or ND (for an odd-numbered route) state lines, the mileage to those lines is added to the mileposts.

This is how you can have a 64-mile long highway have a 300 milepost: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7022672,-98.0180608,3a,15y,285.74h,86.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJGApUKISBjWf5MX_ViP8sQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (from the west end of SD 38 in Mitchell)
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

DaBigE

Quote from: MantyMadTown on January 27, 2019, 08:24:47 PM
Wisconsin
...Also, I'm really sick of WISDOT applying roundabouts to every new interchange. All the reconstructed interchanges I've seen in the Green Bay area seem to have roundabouts on each ramp, and sometimes even an extra set of roundabouts for the frontage roads on either side of it! Manitowoc is also planning to build a roundabout at the intersection of highway 42 and Maritime Dr, but that one actually feels necessary.

Not trying to go on a tangent that has been beaten to death elsewhere on these forums but...

• Projected traffic growth
  • Long-term maintenance
  • Arguably better safety records

As much as some may think, the system isn't skewed automatically to roundabouts, but they usually win out when looking at those three items.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

MantyMadTown

Quote from: DaBigE on January 28, 2019, 12:40:27 AM
Wisconsin
...Also, I'm really sick of WISDOT applying roundabouts to every new interchange. All the reconstructed interchanges I've seen in the Green Bay area seem to have roundabouts on each ramp, and sometimes even an extra set of roundabouts for the frontage roads on either side of it! Manitowoc is also planning to build a roundabout at the intersection of highway 42 and Maritime Dr, but that one actually feels necessary.

Not trying to go on a tangent that has been beaten to death elsewhere on these forums but...

• Long-term maintenance

As much as some may think, the system isn't skewed automatically to roundabouts, but they usually win out when looking at those three items.

I'm not trying to knock roundabouts in general. I generally like them for their safety record (and I'm not as annoyed by them as most drivers!) and their efficiency in carrying traffic. There's just been way too many roundabouts built in recent years. You don't need roundabouts on top of roundabouts for every intersection on every highway. That just gets annoying for drivers.
Forget the I-41 haters

ipeters61

Quote from: MantyMadTown on January 28, 2019, 03:29:09 AM
Quote from: DaBigE on January 28, 2019, 12:40:27 AM
Wisconsin

• Long-term maintenance

I'm not trying to knock roundabouts in general. I generally like them for their safety record (and I'm not as annoyed by them as most drivers!) and their efficiency in carrying traffic. There's just been way too many roundabouts built in recent years. You don't need roundabouts on top of roundabouts for every intersection on every highway. That just gets annoying for drivers.
I'm just going to leave this one here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)  :spin:
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.